"I Won't Spoil The Ending" - January 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm still at sea. At this point I'm not even walking away and coming back. It's more like Sheldon turning around for a quick peek, then turning back around. Over and over and over...
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

So this is one of those where I think I’m on shore, but with a nagging doubt that it might be the wrong shore. I’m going to submit tonight before the deadline, and in the meantime plan to keep looking for the tiki hut to make sure I’m in the right place.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Mattbelc16 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
We love Breckinridge in the summer!
15 day round trip cruise to four main Hawaiian islands out of San Francisco. Did it 5 years ago and loved it. Afternoon tea, Bridge and trivia on cruise days. Wonderful classical music mini concerts. 4 cruise days each way. Surprisingly affordable and adult.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
howardl

Post by howardl »

I am certain I have the right answer, but I'm unable to submit. (And I see others are having this problem.) If anyone keeps statistics on these (not sure why anyone would), this contest should have an asterisk or explanatory footnote -- not comparable to other weeks.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:57 pm
Mattbelc16 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
We love Breckinridge in the summer!
15 day round trip cruise to four main Hawaiian islands out of San Francisco. Did it 5 years ago and loved it. Afternoon tea, Bridge and trivia on cruise days. Wonderful classical music mini concerts. 4 cruise days each way. Surprisingly affordable and adult.
Which cruise line, please?
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

howardl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:07 pm I am certain I have the right answer, but I'm unable to submit. (And I see others are having this problem.) If anyone keeps statistics on these (not sure why anyone would), this contest should have an asterisk or explanatory footnote -- not comparable to other weeks.
You can submit via email

Email your answer—in the subject line—to crosswordcontest@wsj.com
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

I have read comments before about problems submitting an answer. I have always submitted by e-mail...what is the other way that has given people problems?
howardl

Post by howardl »

Replying to Rosiegirl who asks: "I have always submitted by e-mail...what is the other way that has given people problems?" I do the puzzle online, and just beneath the puzzle is a button that says "submit". That's what has always worked before this week, but did not work this week. And thanks to Barbara K who explains how to submit via email. I'll do that.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

RichA2 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:44 pm So this is one of those where I think I’m on shore, but with a nagging doubt that it might be the wrong shore. I’m going to submit tonight before the deadline, and in the meantime plan to keep looking for the tiki hut to make sure I’m in the right place.
I find it rare to have that nagging doubt you refer to, though I have been there. (e.g. With MMMM puzzles.) With Matt Gaffney and Mike Shenk, it's usually a 100%-er. The pieces just fall into place so beautifully. This one (no spoiler) uses a mechanism that I (IMHO) consider very "Matt Gaffneyesque."
mel87

Post by mel87 »

On shore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

howardl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm Replying to Rosiegirl who asks: "I have always submitted by e-mail...what is the other way that has given people problems?" I do the puzzle online, and just beneath the puzzle is a button that says "submit". That's what has always worked before this week, but did not work this week. And thanks to Barbara K who explains how to submit via email. I'll do that.
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 am
Omnibus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:08 am
damefox wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 pm
I started emailing in my answer because I was growing skeptical they looked at the form submissions on the site! I often wish they would send an automated confirmation email after you submit so that when I don't win the mug for the umpteenth time I'll know it at least wasn't because my submission didn't go through.
Well, I can confirm that submitting via the website does work, since I managed to win a mug that way last year. From a previous posting on this thread, apparently it works via email as well, so both are okay.
A possible caveat on submitting using using the WSJ online form: As of January 1st, Adobe stopped supporting Adobe Flash. Some browsers now flag Flash as a security risk. WSJ's online form uses Flash, which, IMUnqualifiedO, might have been leading to issues the last couple of months. If you can use the form, then your submission should go through. However, it might be safest to email your entry to crosswordcontest@wsj.com.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

I’m on shore. Fun puzzle.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

howardl wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 pm Replying to Rosiegirl who asks: "I have always submitted by e-mail...what is the other way that has given people problems?" I do the puzzle online, and just beneath the puzzle is a button that says "submit". That's what has always worked before this week, but did not work this week. And thanks to Barbara K who explains how to submit via email. I'll do that.
Thanks for your answer. I always print out the puzzle and then e-mail my answer (if I get one!)It is easy enough, so I will just stick with doing it that way!
ChimiSeanGa

Post by ChimiSeanGa »

Well, I'm finally on shore, but only after diving down a rabbit hole of astounding coincidences. I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing. All in all, great puzzle!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Getting a really late start on this one! Finished the grid, loved it. Tried something with the dates, but nothing clicked. I"ll take a nudge if anyone is still working on this.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

I've submitted an answer, but based on what I hope is a hint in the grid. I look forward to learning the actual meta-mechanism.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

Ashore, with a giant push! Won't submit.

And in hindsight, the mechanism was hiding in plain sight!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I would very much like a nudge - i got nothing...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 23 on the ship and 160 on the shore

Filling out the bridge tournament with Isaac are
Tom S
Commodore
Ed S
the Thurman8er
andn sphorning

Making it to the shore are
Richard
jhseeman
Tom Wi
Mattbel16
Ann
JRS51
SusieG
mel87
howardl
FirstMax
ChimiSeanGa
RichA2
Wordsmith
and Lyman

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Inca

Post by Inca »

Not the meta for me: Gaffney and entertainment...and surely would need a lot of googling for me