"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm
KayW wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm
And the next challenge? A mystery bag jigsaw puzzle I found in my closet. No box, NO PICTURE WHATSOVER :smiling_imp:
Oooh that would be fun! Maybe we should start a puzzle swap where we just send the pieces, but not the box!
BTW I finished my "mystery" puzzle last night. I was lucky in that I could tell pretty quickly that it was going to be a photo of a Bears game at Soldier Field, and the perspective made it easy to vertically order the "people pieces". Ironically, I was working on it to distract me from Sunday's expectedly disappointing playoff game against the Saints.
Hard to believe new Soldier is almost 20.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Oooh that would be fun! Maybe we should start a puzzle swap where we just send the pieces, but not the box!
BTW I finished my "mystery" puzzle last night. I was lucky in that I could tell pretty quickly that it was going to be a photo of a Bears game at Soldier Field, and the perspective made it easy to vertically order the "people pieces". Ironically, I was working on it to distract me from Sunday's expectedly disappointing playoff game against the Saints.
It could be worse. you could be a Steelers fan and then you would have burned the puzzle.
Or a Cowboys fan, in which you'd lose the most important piece in Week 5, and the replacement pieces never fit.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm

It could be worse. you could be a Steelers fan and then you would have burned the puzzle.
Or a Cowboys fan, in which you'd lose the most important piece in Week 5, and the replacement pieces never fit.
Or a Jets fan. 'Nuff said.
howardl

Post by howardl »

I am certain I have the right answer, but I'm unable to submit. (And I see others are having this problem.) If anyone keeps statistics on these (not sure why anyone would), this contest should have an asterisk or explanatory footnote -- not comparable to other weeks.