"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm On the beach! Lovely puzzle with new to the WSJ constructors? The cabana boy says it’s a bit nippy, so he’s wearing sweats over his speedo. Another margarita, please!
OK Meg
How do you know that he has a speedo on under his sweat pants :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:41 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm On the beach! Lovely puzzle with new to the WSJ constructors? The cabana boy says it’s a bit nippy, so he’s wearing sweats over his speedo. Another margarita, please!
OK Meg
Because he’s a FIGMENT of my imagination!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm
OK Meg
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Meg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm
OK Meg
A figment in a fig leaf. I like it.
Jay
damefox

Post by damefox »

Still filling out the grid here, but I found myself so outraged about one of the clues that I couldn't sit and finish without commenting first. (I don't think this is any way related to the meta, but I'll put a spoiler over it in case people don't want to read about the grid before they finish.) 21A is completely inappropriate. That is not funny - that is not a pun you get to just put a ? after and call it a day. People who are starving are not fasting. As food insecurity rises across the country, this is appalling to see in the WSJ crossword. I may just not finish and break my more than year long streak in protest of this. It's possible yesterday has put me more on edge than I would normally be, but this is simply not okay regardless.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On the beach.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

M and M wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm Seeing a new name made me nervous, but the puzzle proved to be clever and fun. A different mechanism than AP Chemistry from some time ago, which is probably my all-time favorite meta.

We enjoyed it, and are always thankful to solve on Thursday, rather than tearing our hair till Sunday pm
this is not to have you change your screen name but each week I have four columns for a particular puzzle. In the top row across the four columns I put in the name of the contest, the date and the constructor. So when I go to find the next name in blog of either on shore or on the ship, I do a "find" in excel. So for you guys I do the find on "M and M" and it shows up a previous puzzle with the constructors PM and MB. Not a big problem as I just hit the enter and you pop up.

When I saw the constructors this week and it was "PM and MM" the first thought I had was that there are now 2 false alarms for "M and M"

but don't worry, you pale as when I try to find "joe" I wind up wearing out the enter button on the computer
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Toby wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:51 pm Nice one. I had a little trouble with grid, especially with crossing of 6D and 18A since (to my discredit) I never heard of either one. I'm going to enter right away...I haven't been sending in the answers, and then I forget to, which I think may reduce my chances of winning, right?
6D was one of the original Queer Eye guys (guess you didn't watch that either).
I didn't complete the grid as quickly as usual, but I figure it might be because I'd gotten used to the Matt/Mike style of cluing, and this style was a little different.
Jay
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:59 pm
M and M wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm Seeing a new name made me nervous, but the puzzle proved to be clever and fun. A different mechanism than AP Chemistry from some time ago, which is probably my all-time favorite meta.

We enjoyed it, and are always thankful to solve on Thursday, rather than tearing our hair till Sunday pm
this is not to have you change your screen name but each week I have four columns for a particular puzzle. In the top row across the four columns I put in the name of the contest, the date and the initials of the constructor. So when I go to find the next name in blog of either on shore or on the ship, I do a "find" in excel. So for you guys I do the find on "M and M" and it shows up a previous puzzle with the constructors PM and MB. Not a big problem as I just hit the enter and you pop up.

When I saw the constructors this week and it was "PM and MM" the first thought I had was that there are now 2 false alarms for "M and M"

but don't worry, you pale as when I try to find "joe" I wind up wearing out the enter button on the computer
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Made it ashore!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore, but not submitting per my comments above. (Well, I am submitting, but what I'm submitting is a strongly worded email of disapproval, not the answer.) I have long said there has to be a line somewhere, and for me, today, this was it. It's too bad, because my complaints about this puzzle have absolutely nothing to do with the very clever meta construction and everything to do with the completely tone-deaf editing. It makes me really sad now thinking that yesterday I was proud to have a puzzle published in the WSJ.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

LAS...Never really did well on MMMM metas so it's unlikely I'll get this one.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore! After a long work meeting to kick off the year, sigh.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

As a physician, I will assert that obesity is a bigger problem in the USA.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Update: Ashore.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Made it to the party on shore!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Onshore - very enjoyable
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore -- great start to the new year.