"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Miki

Post by Miki »

On Shore, literally! Myrtle Beach as a way to end 2020 in style.
M and M

Post by M and M »

Nice one. It's been a fun year. Best wishes to all the Muggles!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I’m on shore! How about a mug to start 2021?
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Meta found quickly
Before the grid was finished.
Happily on shore!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

What a creature of habit I am: I forgot the puzzle was coming out early until Mark reminded me. I'm on shore! Happy New Year, all! You folks are very dear to me. Jay, your poem is PERFECT.
And here is a link to the Mushroom Drop in my town:
http://midnightinthesquare.com/
Attachments
kirs-smith-photo.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Ashore to join the party.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Onshore with a nice topical (not tropical) meta. I think it's going to be crowded this week. Happy New Year!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Happy New Year! On the beach.
RobM

Post by RobM »

On shore with high certainty, but not entirely clear on the solution's connection to the title.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

MikeM000 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:12 pm Am I first to say I made it ashore?

Edit: Nope! Shouldn't have looked at the New Yorker thing a couple posts up.

But that jogged a memory - I don't know if he still does this, but Will Shortz would be on NPR's weekend edition news and have a weekly puzzle. On the first weekend of the year, he'd give the contestant a list of about 10 names of people who were briefly prominent in the just-ended year and see how many they could remember who they were.

Who would be on this year's?

Joseph Maldonado-Passage
Melissa Carone
Randy Arozarena
Marie Yovanovitch
I know Joe and Marie but I'm at a loss for the other two!
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

I have an answer. I'm not just entirely sure that it's correct. Maybe just a little coincidence I found? No idea. I got it very quickly so maybe I'll wait until tomorrow and take another look.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I'm ashore!

I joined this merry band of muggles around EASTEr time this year and here we are at the tuRN of the year. Even when hit with a bout of the BLUEs, I enjoy printing out the meta and (usually) chasing a rabBIt ot two in search of the woRD or phrase (or is it frays).

What I enjoy the most, though, is checking in to this forum and your wit and banter and poetry and just general good-heartedness. Thank you and happy new year!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I first noticed something that was almost the right answer. Then looked closer and found the real thing.

Happy New Year everyone! 🎊🍾🥂
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore! Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore! I found this slightly underwhelming. Left me feeling like I missed the clever part. 100% on the answer though. Not really a spoiler, but maybe more than some want to read before solving.

Happy New Year!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the beach, see you in 2021.

Tom
Eric Porter wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm Toes in the sand, drink in hand. If you can guess what the answer has to be (and what else could it be?), it's not hard to find.
I'm on shore. I was having trouble saying something about how obvious the answer was without getting into spoiler territory. Before I'd solved it, I had trouble coming up with something that was a 4 word phrase.

Happy New Year!
if it's not the 4 word phrase I submitted, I have a very solid argument for it being the correct answer.
RobM wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm On shore with high certainty, but not entirely clear on the solution's connection to the title.
it's loose, if we're on the same beach.
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

On the beach.
Meg

Post by Meg »

beccacollins wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:05 pm
MikeM000 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:12 pm Am I first to say I made it ashore?

Edit: Nope! Shouldn't have looked at the New Yorker thing a couple posts up.

But that jogged a memory - I don't know if he still does this, but Will Shortz would be on NPR's weekend edition news and have a weekly puzzle. On the first weekend of the year, he'd give the contestant a list of about 10 names of people who were briefly prominent in the just-ended year and see how many they could remember who they were.

Who would be on this year's?

Joseph Maldonado-Passage
Melissa Carone
Randy Arozarena
Marie Yovanovitch
I know Joe and Marie but I'm at a loss for the other two!
I know who Arozarena is!! Hero of the Tampa Bay Rays!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Thank you, Matt G! After falling down the rabbit holes of “d’oh” for a few weeks and making the lives of those around me miserable, I am finishing the year on an upswing. I am onshore. On the equivalent of Thursday. My husband thanks you, my friends thank you and, most of all, I thank you.

A happy and healthy new year to Mike and Matt, fearless director Bob and all of you Muggles.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got a late start due to golfing and then some chores around the house. You plan your life to keep Thursday afternoons free (Pacific Time) and then they put the puzzle out on a Wednesday.

Anyhow, on shore. It does seem too easy for a Gaffney so I am a little suspicious.