"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

We are currently at 192 on the shore with the record of 219 in play

But I was wondering

Roger Maris' home run record of 61 was always regarded with an asterisk because he played 162 games and Babe Ruth's record of 61 home runs was set with a 154 game season

And we have the records of Mark McGuire (70), Sammy Sosa (66) and Barry Bonds (73) but we have the PED issue here.

HMMM - do we have a similar situation with either the extended contest time or the holiday with excessive PED usage????

Hey - this beats my other discussion with golfing buddies on the Patriots - Jets game tomorrow (one is a lifelong Jets fan).
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:48 pm HMMM - do we have a similar situation with either the extended contest time or the holiday with excessive PED usage????
Shucks! You found me out, Bob. If bourbon is categorized as a PED for the crossword contest, then yes... put me down as guilty this week. Actually, guilty most weeks to be honest!
One world. One planet. One future.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

John77 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:09 am One answer or two, right or wrong what has made 2020 tolerable is a community of smart, non judgmental, caring individuals. You all did not have to be so nice, I would have loved you anyway (wait a minute that sounds like song lyrics!). But seriously folks the level of support and camaraderie that I have experienced on this blog is unmatched anywhere. I count all of you as one of the few things I have to be thankful for in 2020 (particularly as I listen to the ravings and fireworks of a VERY drunken group of neighbors next door - but hey the end of 2020 should be celebrated). Without this diversion I would have had little to look forward to all year. I would never have guessed that a crossword puzzle and musings on same would be the rock on which I anchored my sanity. It either says a lot for this group or little for my sanity, and I am going to pick the former. Thank you my friends and Happy New Year
I have greatly enjoyed this board this year, thanks to all of you. I might differ with Dr Tom on one point; the crossword contest has been the rock upon which I've continued to dash my sanity.

Happy 2021
Well, I didn't say I needed a very big place to anchor my sanity...I mean you can tie up a kayak's worth of sanity darn near anywhere.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm Merry new year to all.

Many thanks to the folks who put in sooooo much time into keeping this site fun. You know who you are and it makes it all the more enjoyable that you do. (although with all of the new friends here, it is hard for me to keep up with all of the comments). Amazing that a group this large has zero snarkiness. It should be bottled and injected into every politician running for office. One of these years -- after the plague -- it would be fun to meet all in person. A cruise seems the appropriate place. Haven't been on one since my honeymoon (and it was a 12 person excursion), but I'd make an exception to hear the non-stop puns.

Best to all for a happy, healthy, less exciting new year.

For the record, I am at the chilly tiki bar.
Tom, I agree wholeheartedly; this seems to be one of the last refuges of civility. It would be nice to actually sit down with a room full of Muggles, though I am not sure about the cruise no matter how apropos. I have this aversion to placing myself on a floating petri dish, cruises scare me. I think we should meet in Lebanon! No, I have no desire for conflict zones either, I am talking about Lebanon, Kansas which by virtue of crosswords I know is the geographic center of the US. Seems only fair since we are a nationwide group (well actually international but I don't know how to get to Principe Island).

Happy New Year! Oh, and in contrast to sentiments attributed to your Avatar, I am gladly a member of this club!

As for a NY pun, I had a great one today and it is a true story.

The Granddaughter of British friends who live very near the border with Scotland had a child today. They were expecting a boy but got a girl instead. They were scrambling for names and I stated that they should give the child a French name and the perfect one would be Annie. "Why is that French and why would that be the 'perfect' name they asked", not really knowing my proclivity for puns.

"Because living so close to Scotland she would be forever Bonnie Annie and that means Happy New Year in French!"

They ended the FaceTime right after that.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

I got the answer, but I'm with Jarrod. I'm not quite sure how I got there
I am a man of few...
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:10 am

Many thanks to the folks who put in sooooo much time into keeping this site fun. You know who you are and it makes it all the more enjoyable that you do. (although with all of the new friends here, it is hard for me to keep up with all of the comments). Amazing that a group this large has zero snarkiness. It should be bottled and injected into every politician running for office. One of these years -- after the plague -- it would be fun to meet all in person. A cruise seems the appropriate place. Haven't been on one since my honeymoon (and it was a 12 person excursion), but I'd make an exception to hear the non-stop puns.

Tom, I agree wholeheartedly; this seems to be one of the last refuges of civility. It would be nice to actually sit down with a room full of Muggles, though I am not sure about the cruise no matter how apropos. I have this aversion to placing myself on a floating petri dish, cruises scare me. I think we should meet in Lebanon! No, I have no desire for conflict zones either, I am talking about Lebanon, Kansas which by virtue of crosswords I know is the geographic center of the US. Seems only fair since we are a nationwide group (well actually international but I don't know how to get to Principe Island).

Happy New Year! Oh, and in contrast to sentiments attributed to your Avatar, I am gladly a member of this club!

The Granddaughter of British friends who live very near the border with Scotland had a child today. They were expecting a boy but got a girl instead. They were scrambling for names and I stated that they should give the child a French name and the perfect one would be Annie. "Why is that French and why would that be the 'perfect' name they asked", not really knowing my proclivity for puns.

"Because living so close to Scotland she would be forever Bonnie Annie and that means Happy New Year in French!"

DrTom, I share your aversion to cruise ships, especially in the current environment. About a dry land location for a muggles meetup.....if we really want to plan such an event, it's hard to pick a place that wouldn't require a long trip for many. Maybe we could choose 3 locations.....one nearer the east coast, one nearer the west coast, and one in the middle of the country. Muggles could travel to the one closest to home, and those who really like to travel could go to all 3. Also, maybe it'd be better to choose locations near an airport; there'd be lots of lodging. This may be a pipe dream; Covid is bad and getting worse in TN. Vaccine rollout is very slow. But we can dream, can't we?
Cynthia
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

I think I’m ashore
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

So, Diego Garcia is out of the question? And St. Helena? And Waikiki?

I'm up for pretty much anything (but would concur about the petri dish), but I'd have to insist on Ted Lange being the honorary bartender, wherever it is. I'll check on his appearance fees.
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:57 am

DrTom, I share your aversion to cruise ships, especially in the current environment. About a dry land location for a muggles meetup.....if we really want to plan such an event, it's hard to pick a place that wouldn't require a long trip for many. Maybe we could choose 3 locations.....one nearer the east coast, one nearer the west coast, and one in the middle of the country. Muggles could travel to the one closest to home, and those who really like to travel could go to all 3. Also, maybe it'd be better to choose locations near an airport; there'd be lots of lodging. This may be a pipe dream; Covid is bad and getting worse in TN. Vaccine rollout is very slow. But we can dream, can't we?
I LIKE it - I lobby for Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach. Lovely destination quite near a major airport (Jacksonville International he said sunshinily and self-servingly) as one spot. Yes Covid is a bear and we still have a ways to go to be out of this forest, but dream - of course we can. I dream every week, "I'm going to solve these METAs and be as good as Al, Barbara, Joe, Oldjudge, etc. (take your pick)". Sometimes the gods of META fate smile sometimes not, but I always dream. It's a nice idea to fiddle with. Of course another good place would be Maine because I wanna see those gardens!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:36 am

So, Diego Garcia is out of the question? And St. Helena? And Waikiki?

I'm up for pretty much anything (but would concur about the petri dish), but I'd have to insist on Ted Lange being the honorary bartender, wherever it is. I'll check on his appearance fees.
Well I THINK we might have to fight our way past Military Police at Diego Garcia. Unless the vessel you arrive in is painted battleship gray (and I live near both Jacksonville Naval Air Base and Mayport Naval Base so I suppose I might be able to snag a ride but my days in Navy Blue are long past) that will be hard. St. Helena is somewhat less restrictive, but I'm not sure it is an isle, I think it is more of an Ex-Isle? We would have to bring our own food there because I hear the are sometimes so hungry they will pick a bone apart. The last one, OK, I won't complain about that, I mean why kick?
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Cheers to 2021!! Prohibition has ended in Mississippi more than 90 years after it did for the rest of the country. It is now legal to possess liquor in all counties, although you can't buy it in all counties. Residents of dry counties will have to vote for that right. Luckily our county is not dry, so here's to 2021!!!
macman603

Post by macman603 »

I'm ashore with this puzzle. My first time actually solving one of these.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:10 am ...
I LIKE it - I lobby for Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach. Lovely destination quite near a major airport (Jacksonville International he said sunshinily and self-servingly) as one spot. Yes Covid is a bear and we still have a ways to go to be out of this forest, but dream - of course we can. I dream every week, "I'm going to solve these METAs and be as good as Al, Barbara, Joe, Oldjudge, etc. (take your pick)". Sometimes the gods of META fate smile sometimes not, but I always dream. It's a nice idea to fiddle with. Of course another good place would be Maine because I wanna see those gardens!
This could turn into a roving event, like the Olympic rotation. Summer in Maine, Fall in FLA, Winter in Waikiki, Spring in Cali.

Actually, I'm dreaming, just because all four places would be easy for me to get to (unlike Diego Garcia -- Still waiting to hit powerball and buy that private jet. I guess I'd need it equipped with stealth to get into DG).

Speaking of powerball, Ted Lange starts at $10k an appearance.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

macman603 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:16 am I'm ashore with this puzzle. My first time actually solving one of these.
Congratulations. We hope the first of many. Welcome to the land of the muggles and good luck winning the elusive mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Well you know, Easter is actually a good idea in France. After all it's a "bonne idée" (Bunny Day).
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 am

Love Amelia. Just spent thanksgiving week there as we do almost every year!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles.

We have three new muggles since yesterday that we wish a warm welcome - Isw, TeamDoubleTow and macman603. And we welcome back Tom and Denise who have been missing for a while but are not back in the fold. Great to have more to the clan

And we are up to 195 on the shore with two keeping Isaac company

New to the shore since yesterday are
Homer
higgysue
spotter
RichA2
Nlobb
bread-girl
OGuyDave
Colin
TomandDenise
Isw
TeamDoubleTow
Tina
HunterX
meowmiao71
flamingbear
KscX
ccmac
mel87
802puzzler
edot
Wordsmith
Fishoutowater
Joedbee
Notbitter
Geezer
and macman603

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Nlobb wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:06 am Cheers to 2021!! Prohibition has ended in Mississippi more than 90 years after it did for the rest of the country. It is now legal to possess liquor in all counties, although you can't buy it in all counties. Residents of dry counties will have to vote for that right. Luckily our county is not dry, so here's to 2021!!!
Anyone want to take a guess as to which was the first beer to be sold when prohibition ended? Yep, Utica Club, from the West End Brewery in Utica, NY. They had the paperwork submitted and were the first brewery nationwide to get approval to sell and distribute beer... within an hour and a half of the repeal of the amendment. Now, how they happened to have beer ready to be distributed is another question...
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Solved the grid with no problem at all
Then the meta brought all to a crawl
But a smile replaced frown
While by counting it down
I hit shore before dropping the ball
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DBMiller wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 am

Well you know, Easter is actually a good idea in France. After all it's a "bonne idée" (Bunny Day).
OH my, I LOVE that...I will no doubt steal that!