"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Big Mac wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am On shore!

First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Merry Christmas!
42D... who did you get mad? did you need to pack a lunch to make it back that far?
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore- Merry Christmas and happy football!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Ashore finally. All I had to do was stare at the thing for several days and it popped out at me. Maybe the muttering under my breathy helped too.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

jhseeman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Big Mac wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am On shore!

First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Merry Christmas!
42D... who did you get mad? did you need to pack a lunch to make it back that far?
I hepa you're not feeling up in the air about it because it is an accomplishment. On a plane I usually just wing it because I'm afraid all my mumbling and cursing will aileronate people.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:39 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm

While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?

Dr. Tom - My kids and fiancée all thank you for the best present of the year!

Is it time for the "Airing of the grievances"? I want to complain about my lost ability to pun. Where's Milt Famie when you need him?
That's me, Jack of all Tirades, Master of Pun....

Actually I do believe we have the cure for what ails you, the DTP Vaccine. No not the Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis one that is so well known, this is the Delirium, Tetany and Percussion one. It causes you to crazily strike a drum whose membrane is stretched way too tight. The desired result is that you eventually snare a pun, now isn't that a fine kettle of fish. Granted some people go bongo before they ever reach the desired endpoint and some scream out Tom, Tom I'm beat! Those people eventually end up in the Tympany Hall, reserved for those who have struck out. Let me know if you want the treatment and I'll put the appropriate cymbal on your chart....
That's pretty bass, as far as puns go. I'd kick the habit. (But then you'd be nun the wiser.)
I think you are getting rather high-hat on me! Kick the habit, I'll bet we alb wish I could but at this point I'm vested in in. Looks like I had and apse of judgement and am out of the frying pan and into the friar. :roll:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Ashore! after weeks and weeks and weeks of glumly watching everyone make it. (It's enough to put you off these things!)

Here's to a better 2021, for all of us!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?
You can't compete with the master. If you use cross words, he'll Punjab you with a right across and knock you down. So grid/gird your loins and prepare for battle. We have no clue how to defeat him.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A belated Sunday report as I was attempting to replace my daughter's kitchen sink faucet - unsuccessful as that nut that holds it on was rusted forever and needs someone with a sawsall to cut the faucet off.

On a positive note, we have several new muggles including Arthur Q. Wells, Guy Wyo and collegecrossworders (not sure which college). we welcome all of them.

We have 7 now keeping Isaac company and 183 on the shore

New to the shore since yesterday are
cbarbee002 (I think)
and copperriver

Making their way to the shore are
EVJ
maprasad
Arthur
Debbie
Colin
Amanda Hugginkiss
Nlobb
phofer
Plymouth Rock
Ann
Guy Wyo
Brian M (who was there but forgot to post :-(
Cosmo
ADS
Crest
Jarrod
horsesense
collegecroworders (by the way how many of you are there and what will you do if you win the mug)
Fishoutowater - who had one of the better lines after getting a nudge
flamingbear
Lyman
KscX
norrin2
Bic Mac
Henry Paul
and Susie G

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
VincentM

Post by VincentM »

Ashore. Finally!
no .sig, no avatar, just puzzlin' fun
ajk

Post by ajk »

Pretty sure I'm on the same beach as the crowd, though as this is my first time here I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a confirmation somewhere. Does seem to be a fair amount of noise near the tiki bar though, so probably the right spot. Hopefully the supply of maitais is holding out.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore—finally had a chance to looks at the Meta while driving home; glad to close out the year with absolved puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DBMiller wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?
You can't compete with the master. If you use cross words, he'll Punjab you with a right across and knock you down. So grid/gird your loins and prepare for battle. We have no clue how to defeat him.
I'm not going to Punjab you, that would have been yesterday! Instead I might just invite you to the Dehli so we could get pastrami all of this (he said with a ryely). I mean I don't want you to think I am a sauerkraut loser!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeanrosz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 am New meta on Washington post. 5x5. Solved grid but no meta yet..
Nice puzzle, BIG puzzle! I have the grid and know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. I'm also thinking that there is a couple of chances to mess up depending on ordering? Well, I'll se. I am working Tuesday and Wednesday but since I got the WSJCC and blew the MGWCC I have nothing but time until then. Thank you for the heads up.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Finally back in business, cute puzzle.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Jeanrosz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 am New meta on Washington post. 5x5. Solved grid but no meta yet..
Nice puzzle, BIG puzzle! I have the grid and know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. I'm also thinking that there is a couple of chances to mess up depending on ordering? Well, I'll se. I am working Tuesday and Wednesday but since I got the WSJCC and blew the MGWCC I have nothing but time until then. Thank you for the heads up.
Barbara K started a thread on this puzzle. Look for it in "Other Meta Puzzles".
Heidi
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

A Sisti-like performance once I got home from my travels and got to the puzzle. All of 15 minutes from printout to solve. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:57 pm
DBMiller wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm
I'm not going to Punjab you, that would have been yesterday! Instead I might just invite you to the Dehli so we could get pastrami all of this (he said with a ryely). I mean I don't want you to think I am a sauerkraut loser!
you slaw me.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore...!!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

made it to shore!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore at last! I completed the grid on Wednesday evening, just didn't have much time to devote to the meta until today. I looked at it a few times in between wrapping the last couple of presents and preparing Christmas dinner for hubby, son, daughter and SIL (who drove up from Charlotte with their dogs). Our house hasn't been so full of fun and laughter in many months! Today we took a road trip to visit our other daughter, SIL and sweet granddaughter. The meta method came to me while I was washing up the dinner dishes. What a perfect way to end a perfect weekend! And tomorrow I can devote all my time to playing with my granddaughter and her Bitty Baby.
Sara