"Risky Business" - December 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

mpmanning wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:38 pm The WSJ is still having a problem printing their solution.
I realize that you're making a joke, but the WSJ's solution has been posted since late this morning.

Clear your cookies, browser history, & downloads & try again.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:27 pm
DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:34 pm
The prosecution rests :lol:
Well they are never going to win that way, if they are going to keep resting. Typical, they say something and then rest on their orals.
Bob - If Tiger King taught me anything, it's to never stick your hand in the cage. And for god sake don't taunt them. You may think you're playing and having fun. But that's how you'll lose an arm.

Or be subjected to more puns. You'll sigh, sip some beer, and the sigh-beerian will pounce!
Ah yes, but that is when you choose to call on the Asian expert in these matters Yeung Ling! He will correct anything that ales you because, well he is just lager than life. I mean even though he has never played the sport of football, he was drafted! He didn't go to camp because he had so many trunks of equipment that he'd need a porter. luckily it didn't make him sour.

Wait, was that a stick I saw poking though the cage?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Well they are never going to win that way, if they are going to keep resting. Typical, they say something and then rest on their orals.
Bob - If Tiger King taught me anything, it's to never stick your hand in the cage. And for god sake don't taunt them. You may think you're playing and having fun. But that's how you'll lose an arm.

Or be subjected to more puns. You'll sigh, sip some beer, and the sigh-beerian will pounce!
Ah yes, but that is when you choose to call on the Asian expert in these matters Yeung Ling! He will correct anything that ales you because, well he is just lager than life. I mean even though he has never played the sport of football, he was drafted! He didn't go to camp because he had so many trunks of equipment that he'd need a porter. luckily it didn't make him sour.

You ainโ€™t lion down yet?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

AAAARRRGGG!!! Let go boy! There's a nice, raw double entendre over on the other side of the cage! You could really sink your homophones into it. I'm sure it would be much tastier!

MEDIC!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I can not stop admiring the beauty of this meta. Surely it was not easy to construct.

Great mind at work here
Intricate architecture
Bouquets of roses.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

michaelm wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:43 pm

You ainโ€™t lion down yet?
Well perhaps just a cat nap.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Kas 4.
Sigh.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

This was one of those contests where a lot of entries appended a note marvelling at how clever the construction was. And offering the right solution: We had 1067 entries, about 90% correct (way above our more typical average of 75%). A grab bag of incorrect risky behaviors included SUBPRIME LENDING (14), SKYWRITING (6), GAMBLING (2), MONEY LAUNDERiNG (2), SKYDIVING (2) and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Don Mastrorocco of Harrisburg, PA!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

The problem I had with the mechanism is "sub-prime." The letters in the prime numbered boxes are *already under the prime number*. To go down another row should have required another indicator. Also, "lending" didn't have anything to do with it. Meh.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Muggle Meetup zoom at 7:30 ET Tuesday!
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093?p ... s4YUQvdz09
Meeting ID: 891 8436 7093
If Need Passcode: muggle
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Donโ€™t know if Zoom is on tonight but Iโ€™m hanging out at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093?p (password muggle) if anyone is looking here for link.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm The problem I had with the mechanism is "sub-prime." The letters in the prime numbered boxes are *already under the prime number*. To go down another row should have required another indicator. Also, "lending" didn't have anything to do with it. Meh.
I think the LENDING segued into the LIVING ON BORROWED TIME? At least that is how I saw it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

METAs: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Muggle Boat. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new words. To seek out a new good life and be civilized. To boldly go across and down and where no one has gone before!

Its intrepid crew posed for this picture:
Star Ship Muggle Boat.jpg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Somebody take that computer away from that man.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 am Somebody take that computer away from that man.

Just be thankful we are all not Baywatch fans or this could have been several levels of "eww" worse!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ah, but will you frame it and put it on the wall at The Whip? Better not, so many people will want to see it that it will exacerbate the parking problem.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 am
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 am Somebody take that computer away from that man.

Just be thankful we are all not Baywatch fans or this could have been several levels of "eww" worse!
Special for Dr tom
125213660_5054373151247253_3257241069539761369_n.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I am always delighted by an uplifting book, and not just as an occasional thing, tome after tome!

But I think I like soft cover the best, Tom said spinelessly.
Picard laugh.jpg

(OK, here we go, let's see how many people know Tom Swift or his "jokes")
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

"Captain, it appears that we are about to crash land in Missouri." said Data archly.
Capturedata.JPG