"Connect Four" - December 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob - I’m ashore too
Camo’Ed by sketchy haiku,
See post 202!
One world. One planet. One future.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Ashore! Realized the solution after Meta Mom described one of her rabbit holes.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore! Realized the solution after Barcelona daughter shoved me into the correct tunnel. (On Monday, would some of you who saw the solution immediately PLEASE tell me what caused you to see it so quickly? I want to be in the solved-early-and-the-weekend-is-mine group!)
Cynthia
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:28 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm F-I-N-A-L-L-Y on the beach after a long, long time out at sea. I was starting to lose hope over the last month or so of puzzles, and reading the solutions rarely gave me much solace that I would ever again reach dry land. But, alas, after almost giving up for yet another week, I saw it in a burst of insight. It's a Festivus miracle!
Festivus for the rest of us! Break out the pole!
Is it time for "The Airing of Grievances"? That's my favorite part. (jk)

And Dr. Tom, if you're suggesting you're going to do a pole dance, that may be my first grievance. :lol:
Hmmm - I see you live in Philadelphia, I went to school there (Temple), so perhaps that is why you might file a grievance, you've already seen one!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:01 am Ashore! Realized the solution after Meta Mom described one of her rabbit holes.
How come meta mom does not join us here. We love MOMs
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

On shore! Did not know Greenland lacks 64 Down. Interesting!

Not the most difficult contest, but I love the way Matt keeps finding new and creative ways to create the Meta!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

halseymac wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:36 am On shore! Did not know Greenland lacks 64 Down. Interesting!

Not the most difficult contest, but I love the way Matt keeps finding new and creative ways to create the Meta!
59D but I did not either but am not surprised.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Lost at sea. The bar is never as empty as it seems.
I’m almost always there even if I haven’t declared so.
I’ve sent a request for a nudge.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I am lost at sea as well. I thought I might have made it to shore but when I checked with a muggle coastguard, I found that I was still at sea and that I had been pulled out by a riptide. I can not believe that everyone found this one easy. I got a nudge but it still isn't jumping out at me.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Eguinan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:23 pm backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
Hilarious movie! I was living in Center City Philadelphia at the time and saw them filming the scene outside the posh men's club.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:57 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:28 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Festivus for the rest of us! Break out the pole!
Is it time for "The Airing of Grievances"? That's my favorite part. (jk)

And Dr. Tom, if you're suggesting you're going to do a pole dance, that may be my first grievance. :lol:
Hmmm - I see you live in Philadelphia, I went to school there (Temple), so perhaps that is why you might file a grievance, you've already seen one!
Ah, indeed. That is true. The intricate Philly pole dance, which occurs after (insert local professional sports team) wins the (insert championship game) after years in the basement. It used to just involve the standard drunken revelers, demonstrating their prowess at ascending lamp-bearing fixtures. Then they were joined by a new partner, the men and women in blue, armed with tubs of slippery grease-like products, adding to the revelers' challenge. Not quite as formal as the ländler from the Sound of Music. But fun to watch anyway.

I commend you, Dr. Tom, for surviving the rigors of life on North Broad Street. Is that where you studied rigor mortis?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:15 am
Eguinan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:23 pm backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
Hilarious movie! I was living in Center City Philadelphia at the time and saw them filming the scene outside the posh men's club.
Great movie! While I didn't live in Center City then, I do now. Rittenhouse Square where Eddie Murphy's first scene is filmed, the Union League, Curtis Institute... all in my hood. I still love walking down Delancey Street. And I used to work in the Fidelity Building back when the movie was made. (Now the Wells Fargo Building.) But they filmed at night.

Lots of filming is still done here. I've seen Danny Devito and the gang filming for Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And just a few weeks ago, when it was in the 60's, I was walking to pick up brunch on South Street and passed by a snow-filled Spruce Street all decked out for Christmas! Turns out it was filled with fake snow for M. Knight Shyamalan's TV show "Servant."

Never a dull moment here...
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Finally ASHORE after some help.
Heading to the ski hill. Drinks later.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday Morning muggles

We have a steadily growing group on the shore with some on the ship keeping Isaac company.

And we have two new muggles - Jaclyn and HunterX

For the newest muggles, if you want a nudge, there is a page on Come Aboard/FAQs- Community/ Solving Resources and another on Acapulco Lounge about Nudge culture. Basically we all are more than willing to help you learn and get better at these metas but a couple of general guidelines. First send a Private Message (or several of them) telling what rabbit holes you have gone down and where you are stuck. Someone or several will respond with guidance. If you need more, feel free to ask for more help. We are here to share our experience.

Back to our status - we have 5 on the ship and 196 on the shore

new to the ship since yesterday are
mwickham
and EVJ

Making their way to the shore are
Heidi who was there yesterday but I missed her - must have been the discussion about aging beer that distracted me (I get distracted easily with the comments)
PJM
Jaclyn
MaineMarge
Kris
Crest
HunterX
Cindy N
eagle1279
JRS51
Hidden in 3D
Eguinan
Nlobb
Ann
phofer
EmilyW
Colin
ADS
tigerfly222 with his Meta Mom
zacmoretz - probably with Aunt Norma
Scott L
rexthree
Cynthia J
and Halseymac
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

On Shore!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Today's Washington Post crossword is a meta! https://www.washingtonpost.com/crosswor ... -birnholz/
Heidi
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:01 am Ashore! Realized the solution after Meta Mom described one of her rabbit holes.
How come meta mom does not join us here. We love MOMs
I'll confess...I am Meta Mom. (Thought you already knew.) :D
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:07 pm Good Sunday Morning muggles

We have a steadily growing group on the shore with some on the ship keeping Isaac company.

And we have two new muggles - Jaclyn and HunterX

For the newest muggles, if you want a nudge, there is a page on Come Aboard/FAQs- Community/ Solving Resources and another on Acapulco Lounge about Nudge culture. Basically we all are more than willing to help you learn and get better at these metas but a couple of general guidelines. First send a Private Message (or several of them) telling what rabbit holes you have gone down and where you are stuck. Someone or several will respond with guidance. If you need more, feel free to ask for more help. We are here to share our experience.

Back to our status - we have 5 on the ship and 196 on the shore

new to the ship since yesterday are
mwickham
and EVJ

Making their way to the shore are
Heidi who was there yesterday but I missed her - must have been the discussion about aging beer that distracted me (I get distracted easily with the comments)
PJM
Jaclyn
MaineMarge
Kris
Crest
HunterX
Cindy N
eagle1279
JRS51
Hidden in 3D
Eguinan
Nlobb
Ann
phofer
EmilyW
Colin
ADS
tigerfly222 with his Meta Mom
zacmoretz - probably with Aunt Norma
Scott L
rexthree
Cynthia J
and Halseymac
Cynthia J here, also known as CPJohnson and Meta Mom. (tigerfly222 is female)
Cynthia
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:26 pm
KscX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:59 pm
Eguinan wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:23 pm On the beach. Enjoyed the swim. Oyster roast and backyard showing of Trading Places tonight.
For real, Trading Places? We watched it again with our kids in the last 10 years. It really held up! A great movie.
Love that movie. I watch it whenever I run across it. "Looking good, Billy Ray." Feeling good, Louis!"

@powers2020 for hosting and selecting such a great throwback movie.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

I am blind this week, after two weeks where I got the meta before I even completed the grid. Oh, well....will take a small nudge to get me back on track.