"Connect Four" - December 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:31 pm Congrats to all on a very successful week! We had 1948 responses, with a way above average 93% correct. (Average as you may recall is closer to 75%, so either this one was a bit easier or the muggles are getting smarter or both.).
I think I'm starting to empathize with you West Coasters --- I'm waiting for the Big One!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, why do I LOVE this community? Well the puzzles and back and forth of course, but let me tell you what kind of folks are part of Muggledom.

I have, unsuccessfully, been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon. It is not the unicorn that Pappy Van Winkle is or Eagle VERY Rare, but it is only available in limited amounts and in Florida that means you have to be in a "lottery" type arrangement with "membership" in a liquor store's "vault" program. Every now and then they send out a "Vault is open" with a limited number of different hard to find bourbons, but if you are not one of the 1st to see the message you are probably NOT going to get one. The other option is to pay a premium (often $30 or more) for one in a "rogue" store.

OK Tom, blah, blah, blah...thing is I mentioned this and one of the Muggles who lives where it is more available contacted me and asked if I would like a bottle. This VERY kind individual took the time to go buy it, wrap it (and I'm telling you they could have dropped it from a plane and it would have gotten here safe) and take it to UPS to be shipped and it still was way less than I could get one from the "Psst, psst - hey buddy want to buy some dirty bourbon" crowd. Did I save this person's life, did I rescue their cat from a tree, am I a long lost brother - nope, but they are a muggle and I am a muggle and apparently that is all that is needed. Heck I have relatives that are not that kind and accommodating. So once again the magic of the muggles weaves it's spell. For a minute there I thought Santa was involved because I heard bells and went to the door to find it outside - however that was just my Ring.....or was it?

E Rare for web.jpg
Twas two weeks before Christmas and all through the house, the Muggle was drinking, becoming a souse...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!