"Two by Two" - November 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:34 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:26 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:42 am Good Saturday morning. I hope everyone had a great and safe Thanksgiving.

And welcome to our two newest muggles - shalmanezer and jeffmiz

We have 172 on the very crowded shore. Isaac has taken the week off to enjoy himself with the turkey provided by Brian

And an apology for anyone that I might miss in the process
With that many on shore, it would be a wonder if you didn't miss some. In this case, looks like you missed me.

What's our record? Seems like this one could be up there.
Barbara Sorry about the miss. With all the people since lunch, we have 185 on the shore. Our record is 219 so we have a way to go. The record was set September 4 of this year with Mike's contest titled City Blocks and the answer was Miami
There's still a full day. That record is going to fall!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:53 am Just got to the puzzle today, and spent waaaayyyyy too much time overthinking. But I'm going to blame the post Thanksgiving food (and wine and bourbon) buzz and celebrate being on shore. And here's a pic of my Mom and me enjoying our outdoor feast on an unseasonably beautiful Thanksgiving day.

64124155-E3BD-4F3F-B0DC-1F8C3B76FA6C_1_201_a.jpeg
From that view, I vote for you to host the next live muggles party.
Rufus T. Firefly
ADS

Post by ADS »

I’m ashore.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved. Happy Thanksgiving, all!
burak

Post by burak »

Quick swim to the shore, won't complain.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:42 am Good Saturday morning. I hope everyone had a great and safe Thanksgiving.

And welcome to our two newest muggles - shalmanezer and jeffmiz

We have 172 on the very crowded shore. Isaac has taken the week off to enjoy himself with the turkey provided by Brian

And an apology for anyone that I might miss in the process
With that many on shore, it would be a wonder if you didn't miss some. In this case, looks like you missed me.

Barbara Sorry about the miss. With all the people since lunch, we have 185 on the shore. Our record is 219 so we have a way to go. The record was set September 4 of this year with Mike's contest titled City Blocks and the answer was Miami
I’m just thankful that he doesn’t miss me anymore!
fstadler

Post by fstadler »

I wasn't going to post my solution this week, but since a mug seems unlikely, let's go for a record....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cindy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm

Cindy
You have a special place in my spreadsheet. Every time I enter "shore" for you it is automatically bolded so that when I list those on shore, I am sure not to miss you ever again. :D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore! Two weeks in a row! Hope everyone had a nice holiday and is staying safe.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

On shore! Meta Mom psyched me out this week by telling me I'd have the solution in no time, which resulted in a very literal though incorrect first answer. After further consideration I followed up with a more meta-y (and correct) one.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Almost forgot about this one this week with the holiday. Late start, one big wide rabbit hole, then an easy swim to shore. Hope you all had a great holiday.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I was with Dom when I checked for the puzzle Thursday after 3:00 pm central and didn't find it. I thought there wouldn't be one this week. But I picked up the MacBook to do a work-related task, and thought I'd check just one more time. Dom is on the couch next to my seat. Off we went! 20 minutes later and I had solved the grid and the meta! Dom experienced the disappearing grid problem on his iPhone, so I won, although that glitch no doubt contributed. He says he will try his hand again when he gets home to Cincinnati, about a 5-hour drive from our home.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

pddigi wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:17 pm I was with Dom when I checked for the puzzle Thursday after 3:00 pm central and didn't find it. I thought there wouldn't be one this week. But I picked up the MacBook to do a work-related task, and thought I'd check just one more time. Dom is on the couch next to my seat. Off we went! 20 minutes later and I had solved the grid and the meta! Dom experienced the disappearing grid problem on his iPhone, so I won, although that glitch no doubt contributed. He says he will try his hand again when he gets home to Cincinnati, about a 5-hour drive from our home.
Paul
You better watch out. Dom will be the one who decides which home you will be going into.

LOL
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

By George, I think I got it! After being at sea for weeks, I had begun to think I would never again have beach time. Will agree that the grid was a bear.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good afternoon muggles

We have 195 on the shore as there has been a steady stream of post Thanksgiving turkey sandwich and pumpkin pie filled muggles getting to shore

Joining the crowd on the shore are
mattythewsjpuzzler
Schmeel
ddb13
SewYoung
matthewmoravec
agatha
Mary F
norrin2
Barbara K - WHO WAS THERE ALL ALONG AND I MISSED HER :oops:
DB Miller
NuYear68
Frenchy
Susan H
ADS
Billkatz
Ann
Burak
fstadler
joequavis
annabelle
Paul D
and tigerfly222
and Dennis who came ashore as I was typing the list

and for any Broncos fans - are you ready to step in as their QB for the day. For anyone who does not follow football, Denver had 4 quarterbacks deemed out yesterday because of the Covid. And that is all they had under contract.

Stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

On shore, seemed as easy as people thought. I will be watching the Broncos today just for giggles.
Matt / Flamingbear
TMart

Post by TMart »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:26 am
Cindy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm
Cindy
You have a special place in my spreadsheet. Every time I enter "shore" for you it is automatically bolded so that when I list those on shore, I am sure not to miss you ever again. :D
Bob- I think you missed me too. Post #84.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore after a late start.
John77

Post by John77 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:49 pm Good afternoon muggles

We have 195 on the shore as there has been a steady stream of post Thanksgiving turkey sandwich and pumpkin pie filled muggles getting to shore

Joining the crowd on the shore are
mattythewsjpuzzler
Schmeel
ddb13
SewYoung
matthewmoravec
agatha
Mary F
norrin2
Barbara K - WHO WAS THERE ALL ALONG AND I MISSED HER :oops:
DB Miller
NuYear68
Frenchy
Susan H
ADS
Billkatz
Ann
Burak
fstadler
joequavis
annabelle
Paul D
and tigerfly222
and Dennis who came ashore as I was typing the list

and for any Broncos fans - are you ready to step in as their QB for the day. For anyone who does not follow football, Denver had 4 quarterbacks deemed out yesterday because of the Covid. And that is all they had under contract.

Stay safe
The Broncos might consider calling the young lady from Vanderbilt who kicked off for the Commodores against Missouri yesterday.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Steve Beard

Post by Steve Beard »

Hi! I'm ashore. Haven't reported in for a while but have been doing these since the Margaret Cho era. Still looking for a mug. Sanpellegrino Clementine and Peach will do nicely! Happy Holidays All!