"Creature Features" - May 10, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore- really like this. Nice one, Matt!
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore! Clever meta, as usual. Good luck to all the mug seekers.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! This was fun!
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

On shore and happy to be here! Had to slap myself a few times!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore enjoying time in the sun.........rather straightforward! Luck to all........
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

Finally on shore. Glad I got this one. I tend to make the meta more difficult than it is most weeks.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Finally made it ashore..had to look at it quite a while. Yeah! I’m back!
JJD

Post by JJD »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 am Good Saturday morning fellow muggles.
A couple of pieces of administrivia - the WSJ will be keeping the comments site open through at least Monday for those who want to post there. However, it is still only open to WSJ subscribers. So we will keep the blog open and the reports will incorporate muggles who post on both sites.

We have several new muggles this week - Joe Ross, Kevin Conlon and Nalugirl which I have found out means either the pairing of the characters Natsu and Lucy from Fairy Tale or the Hawaiian word for wave or surging surf.

Currently we have 2 muggles keeping Isaac in business for now, Ed S and Joe R and 90 on the shore.

The shore party hovered around the tiki bar are
Al
Leslie
moi
Tmart
Wendy
Tony S
Laura M
Meg
Toby
Tina
Barbara K
Frankie
Les
geeteebee
Hector
Darryl
Anita
Steve Beck
Brian Mac
ALS
Tom Wi
drabble
Inca
Cindy
Andrew B
David K
joequavis
Jacksull
billkatz
Jim and Anita
Sheila
Peter L
Special Ed
Orsys
Diana
Ron
Mike H
Guy L
Jazzbibist
Kay
Tom S
31 down
Jeff S
oldjudge
azdataboy
Beth A
Stukmn
Heidi
Beth C
Jeremy Smith
Brian
Matthew
ky-mike
Barry
Rad26
John D
Glyn
Bill S
John B
James W
Anne
Kevin Conlon
Doug C
Brunella
Paul D
Domenic
Blair
Sam G
James C
Cynthia J
Janet P
Sew Young
Gwyneth
Julie
Frank
Jimmyjam
Janet
Doug M
Scott MT
Natalie
Dr. Tom
Colin
Deb
George
Richard
Nalugirl
Mark L
JJD
Eric P
and Russ

Great crowd. Good luck winning the mug. Looks like a bunch of great comments coming on Monday.
Nope. JJD is still with Isaac.
Bee

Post by Bee »

Busy weekend, but just got the grid done.
I think I can see the shoreline in the distance, so just visiting with Isaac for a few minutes to gather my strength for the swim...
Bee
Carla

Post by Carla »

Yay! On shore! Haven’t been here in a few weeks.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Happy to report that I'm safely ashore.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Though I am presently on a river boat in Bulgaria, I am happy to be on shore.
Lucksta

Post by Lucksta »

Tada! Made it. What fun!
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

Didn't get to this week's challenge until an hour ago, and after a few missteps found the right rabbit hole. Relaxing on shore with my mother's favorite cocktail: a sidecar.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Aha! I found my error, closed out my tab with Isaac, on shore.
Stim100986

Post by Stim100986 »

Think I'm ashore. Curious to know if others have the same question I do about a specific thing.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:59 am Good Saturday morning fellow muggles.
A couple of pieces of administrivia - the WSJ will be keeping the comments site open through at least Monday for those who want to post there. However, it is still only open to WSJ subscribers. So we will keep the blog open and the reports will incorporate muggles who post on both sites.

We have several new muggles this week - Joe Ross, Kevin Conlon and Nalugirl which I have found out means either the pairing of the characters Natsu and Lucy from Fairy Tale or the Hawaiian word for wave or surging surf.

Currently we have 2 muggles keeping Isaac in business for now, Ed S and Joe R and 90 on the shore.

Brunella

Great crowd. Good luck winning the mug. Looks like a bunch of great comments coming on Monday.
Looks like you put a stray R in Bunny's name - unless that's some kind of subtle commentary on pretzel stealing :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

gfindli wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:47 pm I’m on confidently on shore. But I have a nit about the Meta: I think it violates one of the unwritten rules of crossword construction. I can’t be more specific until after the deadline. George Findling
Rules? I thought that when it came to metas, the only rule is that there are no rules.

But, yeah, I think I know what you mean. I found one piece less elegant than the rest and in fact backsolved it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:43 am

Brunella

Looks like you put a stray R in Bunny's name - unless that's some kind of subtle commentary on pretzel stealing :)
Nothing as clever as that. I have added a column for blog names and when I put Bunny's name in, I added the "r". And being a creature of habit, I copied the same mistake over and over and over and would have done it forever if you had not pointed it out to me. My apologies to Bunny/Bunella. ;)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning and Happy Mother's Day to all the muggle mothers. A great day here in New England to work on metas - cold and rainy outside with the Bruins game on at 3

And a welcome to a couple of our newest Muggles - Lucksta and Robert from Stow, MA

We have had a steady procession to the shore since yesterday with 3 currently keeping Isaac busy and an even 100 on the shore.

Joining Isaac in front of the big screen since yesterday is bee

While making it to shore to enjoy the Tiki Bar are
Thurman8er
Kris
Mary F
Bill T
Susan G
Carla
Rita
lusophile
Luksta
stim100986
and JJD who I had on the shore yesterday but he really was with Isaac but has seen the light and is now really, really on the shore

Last thing - I will be in central Maine next weekend photographing ospreys and eagles so Wendy will be directing the cruise. Hopefully Mike will give us an easy puzzle so I can solve it Thursday night while I have internet coverage.

Go Bruins - sorry Hurricanes fans
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director