"Going In All Directions" - May 3, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I got nothing.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Pretty good weekend.
(1) On a lark, picked "Country House" to win.
(2) Boston Bruins!
(3) It has stopped raining and I am watching a sunset!
(4) AHA! A Sunday night swim to the beach.
Cerveza, por favor. Happy Cinco, Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Final count is 7 keeping Isaac company for the week and 91 on the shore hopefully going in the direction of the mug

Keeping Isaac company since lunch are Ann and NoMajNoMug

And joining the growing crowd on the shore are
djoyrey1
JanetP - with an assist from her son
ky-mike
Commodore
janekirstine
Special_Ed
and Orsys

Good luck to everyone winning the mug and hopefully it is a muggle who takes it home
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:57 am
billkatz wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 am
Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Good luck!
Thanks! I had a great ride today and finished strong!
How hilly was the course? Century's are always tough but a hilly one is brutal
According to the website, 2606.82 ft of ascent. A bit different than my Florida rides.
gamera13

Post by gamera13 »

I submitted my answer. If it's wrong, I don't care. I like it!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore at last! Whew.

Once it popped, it popped quick, but it took me a while for the first pop.
BethA

Post by BethA »

From Monday’s pdf - The contest answer is EDDYING. Seven letters in the grid have N to the north, E to the east, S to the south and W to the west. Those seven letters, in top-to-bottom order, spell the contest answer.
BethA

Post by BethA »

I felt like some other puzzles - I was onto the tip of the iceberg. I saw so many W’s, but took overnight to realize that those were just a part of the NESW configuration! It was distracting!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well rats! I'm afraid I never would have gotten that one (KAS 5 for me). I saw EAST in different spellings in all of the long words and tried my darndest to get something from that. I thought about compass points, just based on the title, but did not look for NSWE or letters that enclosed. Cleverly drawn, certainly too clever for me. Guess my win streak stops at two.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:57 am
billkatz wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 am
Thanks! I had a great ride today and finished strong!
How hilly was the course? Century's are always tough but a hilly one is brutal
According to the website, 2606.82 ft of ascent. A bit different than my Florida rides.
That was probably a number for the 100k. By California standards, it's relatively flat - 5046' on my Garmin. There are several centuries around here with over 10,000...
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

When I saw the title, I was thinking north, east, south, west, up, down, left and right. Then I found DOWN in a 2x2 square towards the upper left corner and down the rabbit hole I went. I found multiple other 2x2 squares with 3 of the 4 letters of the word DOWN, but did not get anywhere. Eventually I realized W and N represented west and north, and E and S were also present. After getting four letters, I thought that could be the answer, but then there were more letters to go. Once finished with getting all the letters, like many others here I had to look up EDDY to confirm that it can be a verb.

When I first read here that someone needed to verify if the word represented a motion, BROWNIAN MOTION popped into my mind. Too bad that is not the answer as it I feel it matches the title better than the actual answer.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

DrTom wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 am Well rats! I'm afraid I never would have gotten that one (KAS 5 for me). I saw EAST in different spellings in all of the long words and tried my darndest to get something from that. I thought about compass points, just based on the title, but did not look for NSWE or letters that enclosed. Cleverly drawn, certainly too clever for me. Guess my win streak stops at two.
I went down that rabbit hole, too. I also saw IN going in all directions, but couldn't make anything out of it. I never did notice the NSEW around other letters.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

gamera13 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 pm I submitted my answer. If it's wrong, I don't care. I like it!
Was your submission correct? If not, what was the wrong answer that you liked?
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

FrankH wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:48 am When I saw the title, I was thinking north, east, south, west, up, down, left and right. Then I found DOWN in a 2x2 square towards the upper left corner and down the rabbit hole I went. I found multiple other 2x2 squares with 3 of the 4 letters of the word DOWN, but did not get anywhere. Eventually I realized W and N represented west and north, and E and S were also present. After getting four letters, I thought that could be the answer, but then there were more letters to go. Once finished with getting all the letters, like many others here I had to look up EDDY to confirm that it can be a verb.

When I first read here that someone needed to verify if the word represented a motion, BROWNIAN MOTION popped into my mind. Too bad that is not the answer as it I feel it matches the title better than the actual answer.
I had to confirm this was a verb as well. Not one I think I’ve ever heard used in this manner. But I couldn’t see anything else making sense for this puzzle.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy or one of our other editors - have you ever seen the word Eddying before?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:09 am Wendy or one of our other editors - have you ever seen the word Eddying before?
I’ve seen EDDY in crosswords many times. It’s a noun and a verb. I’d say EDDYING is not very common, but it’s a word.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

BethA wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:10 am I felt like some other puzzles - I was onto the tip of the iceberg. I saw so many W’s, but took overnight to realize that those were just a part of the NESW configuration! It was distracting!
I saw all the W's, too, and as a blind attempt to do something with them I just took the letters to their right. Fortunately for me, the mascot of a high school near where I grew up is the Eddies, and being the nerd I was (and am) I had to reference a dictionary to find out what and eddy is; so I knew 'Eddying' was an answer that fit the solution, but I couldn't figure out how the W's were definitive. It eventually hit me that the W's were one compass point, and I went back to the puzzle to confirm the other 3 points were all there as well.

Really impressed by the construction of this one.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

SewYoung wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:55 am
DrTom wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 am Well rats! I'm afraid I never would have gotten that one (KAS 5 for me). I saw EAST in different spellings in all of the long words and tried my darndest to get something from that. I thought about compass points, just based on the title, but did not look for NSWE or letters that enclosed. Cleverly drawn, certainly too clever for me. Guess my win streak stops at two.
I went down that rabbit hole, too. I also saw IN going in all directions, but couldn't make anything out of it. I never did notice the NSEW around other letters.
I went down both the EAST and IN rabbit holes, too.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Well that was fun! How does Mike DO that?? Mega Meta kudus. I went through all the motions- up down and all around the town. Also boned up on my Robert’s Rules of Order skills and learned some interesting hand gestures. Finding an “e” as the 5th letter of all 4 of the usually placed theme words surely was significant- 3 of them turned out to be crucial, but not because they were 5th. You really can bond with some of these rabbits, can’t you?
Love that Mike...
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm Solving this one reminded me of my most memorable WSJ puzzle experience. And no, not that vile Three Musketeers one (still smarting), which some of you old-timers will recall! This week's meta is a 100 percenter.
Oh, and yes, I loved that Epstein piece last week on "vogue" words!
What article was that. Tried googling it and nothing. Thank you.