"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Crossless

Post by Crossless »

The road not not taken.
Drink_til_MT_puzzler

Post by Drink_til_MT_puzzler »

Ah - I see. I misinterpreted that they were already grid answers, not *potential* grid answers. Still fun...
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Inca wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 am Something Funny Happened on the Way to the "Park that had a fit". When I was composing the email with the solution, I clicked back to the puzzle to make sure of the spelling of seized (that it actually is one of those i before e exceptions). Then I realized there's no need to check; only one spelling would work for the solution, obviously.
This reminded me of the time when I was casually looking through my previous email entries and suddenly realized I made a typo in one of them. This boneheadedness beats out the time I forgot to submit the entry.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, my entry for the possible clue to Avenue Seized

"Message sent to Berlin as troops marched down the Champs-Élysées"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

Took the main thorough fare.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

I do have a question for all you long time solvers. Is the winner announced somewhere (besides them receiving an email from the WSJ)?
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Continuing the theme:

“Once” I broke the “code”, I had to make sure to “erect” a comment that wouldn’t cause the spoiler police to go nuclear and “co-react”.

Got nothing for 15.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I have one quibble with the instructions this week. Avenue and seized would continue the theme, but they don't really complete it. Ten is not the last number, or even the last Spanish number that can be anagrammed at the end of an English word. My examples were scone, zydeco, and concrete. I got stuck at catorce.
Stukmn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am I do have a question for all you long time solvers. Is the winner announced somewhere (besides them receiving an email from the WSJ)?
Once the winner replies to the email, Mike Miller announces the name along with the data on submissions here and on the WSJ site. The winner's name is also published with next Friday's puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

After 2, 4, 6 and 8, I was started looking for numbers to complete the arithmetic progression and found 10 without any problem but then could not find 12 or zero. I was left writing down all the numbers in Spanish (with Google's help) and found 9.

My clue for both is "What you have if the taxes on your New York City boulevard aren't paid"

And finally Wendy and others have a soul mate in Joseph Epstein's column in todays WSJ
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Like last week's, this was a KAS 5 for me. I can count to ten aloud in Spanish but would have spent way too long looking for a q in order to spell quatro and wouldn't have found the correct spelling for six or ten even given an eon.

Also, I love the clues for avenue seized posted by both Heidi (Street taken hostage) and Beth (Thoroughfare taken by force)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Clue: Headline after congressional pressure causes Trump to take Fifth?
Toby

Post by Toby »

The suggestions for clue are brilliant! Very funny!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

My significant other Mark suggested that simply "gridlock" would have worked as the clue! Which I think is pretty darn good!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Stim100986

Post by Stim100986 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 am After 2, 4, 6 and 8, I was started looking for numbers to complete the arithmetic progression and found 10 without any problem but then could not find 12 or zero. I was left writing down all the numbers in Spanish (with Google's help) and found 9.

My clue for both is "What you have if the taxes on your New York City boulevard aren't paid"

And finally Wendy and others have a soul mate in Joseph Epstein's column in todays WSJ
Oh, I wasn't the only one stuck on two, four, six eight!

I was thinking, "who do we appreciate? Twelve?

I think I found 100, but that felt wrong.

Then, just sitting and watching TV when I realized.. Uno. Oh, no. After all of that, it was right there to be found...

I feel a little better today knowing I wasn't alone. :D
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Janet P wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am Like last week's, this was a KAS 5 for me. I can count to ten aloud in Spanish but would have spent way too long looking for a q in order to spell quatro and wouldn't have found the correct spelling for six or ten even given an eon.

Also, I love the clues for avenue seized posted by both Heidi (Street taken hostage) and Beth (Thoroughfare taken by force)
I had the same experience: no “q”, no Spanish numbers. DOH!

I got distracted by the SI in LASSI and PELOSI and YES in the corner. Then it was EWE (pronoun) and RAS (gods).

Thanks to Matt Gaffney for another great one.
Jack Sullivan
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am Clue: Headline after congressional pressure causes Trump to take Fifth?
Love it! (Heidi)
Heidi
JJD

Post by JJD »

Clue: "Occupy Wall Street targeted advertising?"
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I surely overthought this one, having seen "diez" in my first go-round. I knew I needed to find "nueve," but drew a blank on another number to include ... even though it was there all along. "Cien" was at 26A, but somehow didn't feel right. And it didn't help that I wanted "Avenue Q" to be the answer. Live and learn. Congrats to all who swam, unimpeded, to safety. Have a great week!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Crossless wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 am The road not not taken.
Love this!!! Best I could do is

In the path of eminent domain.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

It's US centric, but...

Red Monopoly property taken by Internal Revenue Service?
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.