"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Gwyneth_S wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:28 pm I’m not adept at this forum format (which is one thing I’ve always appreciated about the simplicity of the WSJ blog; sorry to see the changes), but I’ll figure it out...it’s such a nice group!
Agree! Very grateful to the cruise director, creators and contributors... but in terms of usability, the WSJ forum tool provided a better user experience
One world. One planet. One future.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

pddigi wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:17 pm On shore, long after my son Domenic had made it and kept encouraging me without giving me spoilers. And then when I got it I felt dumb for having taken so long. He was able to get to it earlier than I was, but he still solved it much more quickly than I.

As an aside: I can think of only one time in about two years where I thought I might have the answer but wasn’t sure. So I’m always fascinated by the “I think I’m on shore but I’m not certain I’m right” posts. This is one of those where I can’t imagine not being sure, so I look forward to explanations of those answers come Monday.
Read the posts on Monday and you can see how muggles follow a reasonable path to the wrong answer. The right answer always has an unmistakable path
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ALS

Post by ALS »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:44 pm
ALS wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 pm Is anyone else having antivirus/firewall issues with this site? On my PC, Norton keeps warning me that this is a scary unknown site. I've gotten about five warning messages in the past five minutes. (Oddly, though, when I've visited the site on my phone, Norton hasn't seemed to care.)

ALS
ALS, are you using the "https" URL? Try typing or cut-and-paste this into your browser:

forums
Yes, definitely using the https:// url, but Norton is still very unhappy with me -- when I'm on a PC. Trying to read messages just now and post this response, I got the Norton warning page more than half a dozen times. I have messaged Norton to say I'm getting a false flag, but so far that hasn't helped. I can access the site freely without hindrance from Norton using Chrome on my phone, and that's what I have mainly done. Using Firefox on my PC now when I've been having the problem. Perhaps next time I'll try Chrome on the PC and see if it makes a difference. Norton can be a blessing and a curse, but I guess that's true of all modern technology.

ALS
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I got to shore just under the wire!
janekirstine

Post by janekirstine »

Think I have a solid answer!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Finally swam to shore with a little push overboard from Barbara K! :)
Susan H
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 91 on the shore and 7 on the ship. Bird Lives has joined the ship's bar for now.

Migrating to the shore since noon are
Mark L - afraid of a little New England cold weather
Gwyneth
Inca
JJD
Paul D
Domenic
Colin
Susan H
Steve T
and janekirstine

Now to work on the clue for the two answers for tomorrow (assuming my answer is correct)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Richard

Post by Richard »

I just don't see it. Several rabbit holes but none got me to shore. Will probably hate myself when I see the answer.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Just checked the time and submitted.

I sure hope is not a pageant. Mr. Gaffney is a nice enough person I suppose, but I just don't trust him.
Rufus T. Firefly
Inca

Post by Inca »

For all who feel that urge to post a clever comment that just "may" be considered a spoiler, this forum has a great feature: Compose your reply and then click on Save rather than Submit. It will save it as a Draft. Then on Monday, you can go to the User Control Panel>Manage Drafts and either post it or, if you've gotten it out of your system just by the typing of it, you can delete it.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Inca wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 pm For all who feel that urge to post a clever comment that just "may" be considered a spoiler, this forum has a great feature: Compose your reply and then click on Save rather than Submit. It will save it as a Draft. Then on Monday, you can go to the User Control Panel>Manage Drafts and either post it or, if you've gotten it out of your system just by the typing of it, you can delete it.
Well put!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 pm Let's see who can come up with the best clue for the two grid answers combined. I have some ideas but they are not clever.
What the secret service did when the president ordered a parade in front of the White House.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Well, I've got 12:05, so here's my clue for the contest answer (assuming my response is correct):

Communique regarding takeover of the Americas
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:07 pm Let's see who can come up with the best clue for the two grid answers combined. I have some ideas but they are not clever.
Street taken hostage?
Heidi
Drink_til_MT_puzzler

Post by Drink_til_MT_puzzler »

With the publishing of the Monday morning puzzle, I guess the cat's out of the bag. This is the first time - of which I am aware - that I think there could be multiple answers to the WSJCC. Although the Monday morning PDF says the answer is AVENUE SEIZED, I disagree that is the only interpretation. Using the same requirements of the theme answers (the last letters are the Spanish number series anagram), I also believe that AVENUE SIZED would work. Further, that is only ONE grid entry. A second grid entry would have to include the NEXT two Spanish numbers, ONCE (11) and DOCE (12), which led me to SILICONE MISCODE. Also, these TWO entries also fit the 11-letter, 15-letter alternating pattern of the four theme entries.

And the clues for these? Further nerding out...

A clue for AVENUE SIZED could be “The specified dimension of a city crosswalk?”

And a clue for SILICONE MISCODE could be “Scanning error at the hardware store?”

Anyway. It's all fun.
steveb

Post by steveb »

AVENUE and SEIZED are entries in the puzzle's completed grid, which is why they are the correct answer. SIZED, SILICONE and MISCODE aren't.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Thoroughfare taken by force?
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

The road taken?

Way to get arrested?
Inca

Post by Inca »

My clues (not great but I never claimed to be a cruciverbalist):

New York's impounded Park
or
New York's Park that had a fit
Inca

Post by Inca »

Something Funny Happened on the Way to the "Park that had a fit". When I was composing the email with the solution, I clicked back to the puzzle to make sure of the spelling of seized (that it actually is one of those i before e exceptions). Then I realized there's no need to check; only one spelling would work for the solution, obviously.