"Physical Science" - April 19, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore! A very clever and satisfying puzzle indeed.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Nice to see an outside blog to post on - WSJ locked me out quite a bit ago.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning. A quick report before we go to our daughter's for Easter dinner

We have 10 of us on the ship and 66 on the shore. I have the obvious rabbit hole that I have gone done but have not gotten the rabbit. I also have enough red herrings to feed a family. It will amuse some of you tomorrow

Emerging to keep Isaac company are
Deb
Joseph R
Sheila
cuteremarks
Kay
Jim and Anita

and enjoying the beach are
Stuart
Ed S
Debbie
Beth C
DrTom
Fred
Bill
Tim M
Sue J
Patrick
and D B Miller

Now see if I can get the lightbulb to go on like the 66 have
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Add my son and me to the shore party - but let the record show that I got there before him! We found it amusing that my college major and his are equally important components of this week’s solution.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If anyone’s interested, I posted a new song in the Acapulco Lounge. (Not sure if that’s obvious.)
Special_Ed

Post by Special_Ed »

I think I'm on shore, Though not thoroughly satisfied with the path to get there.
I tried posting on the extended W$J forum, but I was unable; and yes I subscribe.

Changed username from Edward on W$J forum, not meant to confuse Bob.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:37 pm If anyone’s interested, I posted a new song in the Acapulco Lounge. (Not sure if that’s obvious.)
I love it!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:37 pm If anyone’s interested, I posted a new song in the Acapulco Lounge. (Not sure if that’s obvious.)
I’d have liked it, if we had a like button! BrianMac said he’s working on one.
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

sheilaco wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:25 pm
I love it!
CPJohnson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:31 pm
I’d have liked it, if we had a like button! BrianMac said he’s working on one.
Thanks!

(I haven't got a good handle on how people use this new board, so I really didn't know if people would see it if I didn't mention it here.)
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

So, I haven’t had a lot of time this weekend; but maybe that’s just an excuse. Finished the grid no problem but with Isaac celebrating Easter and Passover. Could be worse.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Late to the shore party. Another fine puzzle construction! I had the right idea, but I was in the wrong rabbit hole for a little while.
-Doug Morack
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Special_Ed wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:47 pm I think I'm on shore, Though not thoroughly satisfied with the path to get there.
I tried posting on the extended W$J forum, but I was unable; and yes I subscribe.

Changed username from Edward on W$J forum, not meant to confuse Bob.
Thanks for the tie in
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

I'm on a shore of some sort even tho I am 98% sure it's the wrong one. But it is a four-letter noun, I have logic to justify how I got there, and time is running short. I'm sending it in and setting up camp here to wait and see where everyone else landed and how they got there.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I think I’ve got it.

Ann from Michael’s account
Diana

Post by Diana »

Still on the ship. Love the avatar of Isaac for this Forum's banner. A friendly face indeed, but I'd rather not be looking at him this late in the game. BTW, there's some pretty amusing comments on the board I wishing I could give a thumbs up.
bunella

Post by bunella »

just got on shore. was tough for me this week
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:20 pm On shore. Thanks to Mike for hiding one valuable clue among many of the red herring variety. Always a great brain workout session. I’m ready for the cool down under a beach umbrella now.
I got the answer, but I must have missed this valuable clue. Please mention it in a comment on Monday.
Jay
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

On shore. Woke up (in a hotel in Paris!) with the answer running through my head. Very cleverly executed meta.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Final count is 11 of us on the ship and 75 on the shore.

Joining us with Isaac are Susan G and Diana

New to the shore are
Doug M
Edward
Paul D
Domenic
David K
Ann
Bunny
Fred K
and Kay

My tale of rabbit holes tomorrow will be epic with more than one thinking how can he be so dense.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 pm By Mike Shenk. The answer to this week’s contest is a four-letter noun.

Enjoy!
Brian, you may want to post this site on Crossword Fiend, we could could create quite a phenomenon! (Heidi)
Heidi