"Line of Work" - April 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

On shore. I got this one and said "it's this, but I have no idea why." And then two minutes later "oh that's why."
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore - batted separately and both got it over the fence and round the bases! Maybe MLB can get going again and the Royals give it another run.......so, luck to all as we hunker down and wait for the magic email.
TPS

Post by TPS »

CPKdad wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm On shore. I got this one and said "it's this, but I have no idea why." And then two minutes later "oh that's why."
Same thing I did and then was like - oh wow this actually helps me complete the grid.
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 pm
CPKdad wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm On shore. I got this one and said "it's this, but I have no idea why." And then two minutes later "oh that's why."
Same thing I did and then was like - oh wow this actually helps me complete the grid.
Lol same here! I was stuck on one space and then knew that the missing letter was ...
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Late start - was diligently refreshing qt 4PM but had other obligations by the time the puzzle was posted. But on shore with a satisfying meta, which was solved after a couple Hendricks martinis for a change.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

BethA wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:22 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:51 pm 🏝🍍🥪☕️
Is that a grilled ham and cheese??
Yes. It snowed today so I also brought hot coffee. The pineapple was a bonus.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

A quick puzzle and even quicker meta... Basking on shore. Nice crowd!
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore! Brilliant meta! And I don't think it's just the quarantine that's making it appear that way :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm on shore. One entry in the grid had me totally baffled. Then I realized I had a spelling error in a crossing word, and it all made perfect sense:)
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 pm On shore!

Clever, elegant, and fun. Thanks, Mike!

Now back to Brian Mac’s third opus ...
What?? Brian's next meta is out?? Every time I think I have my notifications set right, I hear about something I missed. Off to find it...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

probably the same one that I had - I had a slightly wrong word and nothing worked, then discovered the error from the meta and it all fell into place.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

What's My Line?
Well, I never met a beer I didn't drink. It's easier now with a virtual visit to Cheers.https://cheersboston.com/
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Ashore!! It is a rare occurrence these days. Feels good to finally get back.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. For once I started working on the meta before double-checking the grid, and it backfired on me because I made an error in the grid at an unfortunate spot.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

On shore. Natasha popped answer reasonably quickly, but without a way to get there it was unsettling. Could be more to it, or at worst, a false answer, so I paddled about a bit more. Then it hit me over the head, and brought certainty with it. Really cute construct!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 pm Muggles, what does everyone think of the idea of sending a Letter to the Editor to the WSJ thanking them for continuing to provide the puzzle during the pandemic? It has been such a help for so many reasons! I will volunteer to write it and will post it for suggestions. If it's a dumb idea, don't hesitate to tell me so.
What could it hurt to thank someone for something that we like? I doubt that it would have any other effect than a positive one.

Now if only I could be more positive ans see what obviously stands out like a sore thumb to everyone. I have seen a couple of flashes of tail, but then Mr. Bunny always runs away leaving me holding my Easter basket. Gonna bite off that rabbits ears!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore - good one!
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

On shore. Easy peasy two weeks on a row. I think Mr. Shenk is taking pity on all us homebound wretches.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

That is exactly what happened to me! Glad to be ashore.
markhr

Post by markhr »

On shore. Instead of a Guinness, I think I'll try a vodka and ginger ale, in honor of John Prine. Very weird times lately...
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Done.

Once again, the solution came in the middle of the night. Freaky.