"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore! was vexing me, walked away, came back and there it was. Have a great weekend all and stay well
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ah the wonders of post enlightenment! I had the right idea all along I just could not put it correctly into play. I did try some wild gyrations before finally seeing the rabbit's butt (as Meg alludes to). Gosh I have a great pun here but I'm afraid it would be WAY too close to a spoiler, I'll wait until later. Dang and I do love puns, I'll satisfy myself with a beer and a sandwich instead -now what kind....

So that I'm clear, ASHORE!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Though I was 74A for longer than I somehow expected after completing the grid. Kept looking for something else ... and dozing off! Late afternoon is NOT my most productive time for puzzling.
PastWSJCCsolutions

Post by PastWSJCCsolutions »

You my now SEARCH on all past PUZZLE TITLES and SOLUTIONS using the Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions topic's search feature:

Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions SEARCH.gif
edot

Post by edot »

DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm Ah the wonders of post enlightenment! I had the right idea all along I just could not put it correctly into play. I did try some wild gyrations before finally seeing the rabbit's butt (as Meg alludes to). Gosh I have a great pun here but I'm afraid it would be WAY too close to a spoiler, I'll wait until later. Dang and I do love puns, I'll satisfy myself with a beer and a sandwich instead -now what kind....

So that I'm clear, ASHORE!
Finished the grid and hoping for the same post enlightenment as you by posting this!! :D
Hector

Post by Hector »

PastWSJCCsolutions wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:14 pm Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions SEARCH.gif
Cool! Just so y'all can keep busy, is the star rating system not working on this puzzle, or is there a no-show period before it displays the average rating, or what?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

PastWSJCCsolutions wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:14 pm You my now SEARCH on all past PUZZLE TITLES and SOLUTIONS using the Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions topic's search feature:

Past WSJCC CCs & Solutions SEARCH.gif
Wow, the early ones were sure easy. I finished the first three metas in under a minute. Now I know what it is like to be Al.
Last edited by oldjudge on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

On shore
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:21 pm Cool! Just so y'all can keep busy, is the star rating system not working on this puzzle, or is there a no-show period before it displays the average rating, or what?
I'm seeing it...
20200410 Between Meals star rating.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Windows 10, Chrome browser.

Edit: I disabled my ad blocker and the stars appeared. But re-enabling it doesn't make them disappear again, so I don't know . . .
Last edited by Hector on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Fun grid - Now to spend four days in a fight with the meta. Whats my prediction for that fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZ1ALkP5Ck
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm Edit: I disabled my ad blocker and the stars appeared. But re-enabling it doesn't make them disappear again, so I don't know . . .
Interesting. I heavily use ad-blockers, etc., except for this site & WSJ puzzles. I did check the star ratings on two other browsers running VPNs & ad-blockers and had no issue. :::shrug:::

Of course, when I try to download a mail-in ballot request form from the state of Ohio for our primary (Ohio is only allowing mail-in ballots for the primary), no combination of computer, tablet, phone, cookies-accepted, ads-allowed combination would work. This is life as we now know it, I guess.

I've a feeling that people under 20 will be recalling these days as my parents recalled the 1930's Great Depression.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I beat Dom to shore! The past few weeks have been weird, with Dom home with one brother home from college and another home from high school. I loved it, but once his COVID test came back negative (my wife and I (both physicians) suspected it was seasonal allergies and asthma, and I think we were right - but he had a lot of voices telling him he had "all the symptoms"), he went back home. So two sons are home with us still and Dom is back to his normal life. I did the grid shortly after it became available and took a look at the meta before leaving work - came together quickly. Kudos on the construction.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Another puzzle I am too stupid to do - the only sandwich I see is a "sh*t" sandwich!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Commodore wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:59 pm Ashore. Tiki Bar. With an endless 8-track loop of John Prine playing.
Kicka pooka mok a wa wahini
Are the words I long to hear
Lay your coconut on my tiki
What the hecka mooka mooka dear
I just listened to this song yesterday!
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore - any Guinness left? Looks pretty crowded here.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:59 pm Another puzzle I am too stupid to do - the only sandwich I see is a "sh*t" sandwich!
So I saw that the Yale "happiness course" is free on Coursera, and I started it this week. Perhaps you'd like to take it, too? I often tend to see the clouds rather that the silver linings, but you are starting to make me feel like a regular Pollyanna. And I mean this in the nicest, most encouraging way. Give yourself a chance to get these! Don't worry about the people who have done these for a while and sail directly to the beach. It's supposed to be fun, not to make your blood pressure skyrocket.

Deep breath now, and Ommmmmmm.....
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I will say this: I'm drinking a LOT less now than before the quarantine. Between all our band jobs being cancelled and no trivia and no day drinking, why, I'm almost a saint. Almost.
I'm not drinking any less. I'm just drinking differently. :lol:
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I have cut out drinking entirely. Now, with extra time, I freeze my drinks and eat them.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.