"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:05 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 pm
Not to spout too many platitudes but one of the constants is "what is the constructor trying to get me to do with the title"
I appreciate the advice and that is how I always start. I just think Shenk gives crappy directions. At least with Gaffney I can at least sorta figure out what he wants us to do even if I can't solve it. Whit Shenk even when I see the solution I'm like - I NEVER had a chance.
They have different styles in creating metas that you have to get used to. Hang in there. It will come.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

OK!! I’m on the beach! I certainly wouldn’t call it a typical Shenk meta trick. Well done, Mike!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Grid fell without issues, but I've chased three bunnies so far with nothing to show for it. Will keep plugging...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 pm
ky-mike wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:25 pm Ashore. Time for a bourbon or margarita before taking on tomorrow’s puzzle.
Haha... you accidentally typed "or"... haha!
Actually had both to celebrate.
bigmelr1180

Post by bigmelr1180 »

for the love of Pete can someone help me on the side? I don't even know where to start with this puzzle! I am new to metas and I am just not getting it.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Done. Great puzzle. 100%’er which is preferable to last week when I had the answer on Thursday but spent 3 days convincing myself it wasn’t right.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Fun one.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm at the bar, still quite lost. Staring at my sheet of paper...
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore! Lots of fun with this one. If anyone is really struggling, feel free to PM me for a gentle nudge

No better way to start the weekend with a completed meta!

Have a safe and healthy (stay at home) weekend everyone!!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Grid done, but Isaacizing. Going to have to print working grid #2 and keep at it. Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Oh, my goodness—there it is! On the beach. Amazing construction. One of my favorites this year. Thank you, Marie.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Ashore finally. It’s been a while since we had a puzzle like this. Last time I saw the method right away-I’m regressing.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Got it, but almost got swallowed by this whale on my way to shore. A real whopper of a fish story to tell at the tiki bar. Wait, ... what's that? I still have to go to Nineveh? Ummmh, perhaps you may have mistaken me for someone else? Their name begins with J.
It's time we had a little talk … about responsibility. Wait a sec ... come back here. The illuminati conspiracy have been suggesting that you may have some of that infectious contagious Alzheimers and are no longer a benevolent Providence but have been regressing to your maleficent, diabolical OTestament ways. I've read ... that you are often swayed by the satan, an angelic member of your heavenly court and obedient servant. Now, ... Mr. G ..., lets get to the point. In this increasingly litigious society, don't you think it would be a good idea to assign your Adversary, obstructor aka satan to roaming on a moon of Saturn, and walking up and down on IT, instead of the earth?
Mr. G, … ever since COVID-19 has gone viral all the illiterate libraries have shut down. Why, even the university basketball tournament is visiting the underworld. We need something to do, other than use as many ten (10) letter words as humanly possible. This is extremely MONOTONOUS!!!
To made a long folktale short, the WSJ Puzzle Contest is a meritorious endeavor, worthy of your support and encouragement. Amen.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Finally, some negative results - “Not a clue!”
“please help me!” . All those positives - “Ashore!” “🏖” were getting monotonous -not to mention, scary. Bob, count me as safely and obediently hunkered down inside my stateroom with a good supply of Isaac’s take out mimosas for comfort and inspiration. 🙋‍♀️
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm one of the 26As.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

It occurs to me that I have not solved a single MGWCC or WSJ since being locked in the house. Not sure if coincidence or cause.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:54 pm Wow, you guys are fast! Has anyone solved and posted *before* Bob's puzzle description?
Probably not, because I use the description to open the puzzle topic. Being retired and sequestered, I open the puzzle as soon as it is posted on the WSJ page and then open a new topic with the title and date. That takes about 1 minute so the time on the topic is a minute or so later than when the puzzle gets posted.

Even Al is not that fast :lol:
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm Wow - I'm amazed at how fast so many people are getting it. I must just be a moron!
TPS
You are not a moron. I have a column on my spreadsheet which has an IF formula to select those who have over 90% right and have entered over 90% of the contests since we started the blog last April. If both are satisfied it prints "HOF". As you can guess there are a lot of HOF muggles who solve the metas very quickly.

So think of yourself as a rookie in NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL and these guys/ladies are the all stars. Don't be discouraged.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jamespower56

Post by Jamespower56 »

Anyone want to have a private conversation about the meta. NOT to reveal it but to toss ideas back and forth. If so send me a private message.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MarkL wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm Grid done, but Isaacizing. Going to have to print working grid #2 and keep at it. Cheers!
I just noticed your tag line. I wonder how many muggles are old enough to know where that comes from?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director