"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Ok - I need a check. Because if I figured this out I'm gonna lose it. But I found an 11 word.
Meg

Post by Meg »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm Wow - I'm amazed at how fast so many people are getting it. I must just be a moron!
You are not a moron, believe me. Some of us don’t see it for days.......
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore and submitted!

My second idea worked. It's a 100%er, which I hope we can all agree on this week.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Ashore. Time for a bourbon or margarita before taking on tomorrow’s puzzle.
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm Ok - I need a check. Because if I figured this out I'm gonna lose it. But I found an 11 word.
Nope
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm Wow - I'm amazed at how fast so many people are getting it. I must just be a moron!
You're not a moron. It often takes me hours, days sometimes infinity, to get it.

This week, I have no idea, which is typical for me.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm claiming my 6 foot spot on the beach. I expect it will not be quite as crowded this week though. Very clever and fun, but a bit tricky and different. We haven't seen anything at all like this in quite a while, which means our newer muggles may never have.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

TPS, you are SO not a moron. The only reason I got the meta so quickly was that I noticed something while I was doing the grid that led directly to the correct strategy.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I thought I saw something for a minute there, but couldn't make anything of it. Still hanging with Isaac. A glass of cabernet, please.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Went very enjoyably (week 2-ish, MG-wise), after wasting much of the day (instead of doing the puzzle) working with four separate heating firms to diagnose a broken furnace. I'll celebrate this fun meta sitting in front of the . . . oh, yeah, we're out of firewood, too.

As a Californian, I need to know: approximately how many Manhattan cocktails does your body require to prevent freezing solid with extended exposure to temps in the 50s?
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

Don't even know where to start...
TPS

Post by TPS »

Nycerjohnnie wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 pm Don't even know where to start...
I've been staring at it for 2+ hours - Not even a clue. Normally - I have at least a red herring to chase down. I was doing origami looking for an answer.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm Went very enjoyably (week 2-ish, MG-wise), after wasting much of the day (instead of doing the puzzle) working with four separate heating firms to diagnose a broken furnace. I'll celebrate this fun meta sitting in front of the . . . oh, yeah, we're out of firewood, too.

As a Californian, I need to know: approximately how many Manhattan cocktails does your body require to prevent freezing solid with extended exposure to temps in the 50s?
Four. That’s a 100%er as they like to say here. (Just kidding).
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Finished grid. Have an answer that is a real hail-mary, but "nothing" to support it.
Last edited by Tom Shea on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 pm
Nycerjohnnie wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 pm Don't even know where to start...
I've been staring at it for 2+ hours - Not even a clue. Normally - I have at least a red herring to chase down. I was doing origami looking for an answer.
Not to spout too many platitudes but one of the constants is "what is the constructor trying to get me to do with the title"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

A few wrong paths led me astray before I found the proper AHA.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Grid, done.

Smithwicks from Isaac, and a chair on the lido deck with TPS and a few others, waiting to discover what's "inside".

I started these just this past November, so I'm one of the noobs who are going to dig around in the dirt for a while.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:25 pm Ashore. Time for a bourbon or margarita before taking on tomorrow’s puzzle.
Haha... you accidentally typed "or"... haha!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wow! Great meta. Count me on shore Bob!
Heidi
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 pm
Not to spout too many platitudes but one of the constants is "what is the constructor trying to get me to do with the title"
I appreciate the advice and that is how I always start. I just think Shenk gives crappy directions. At least with Gaffney I can at least sorta figure out what he wants us to do even if I can't solve it. Whit Shenk even when I see the solution I'm like - I NEVER had a chance.