"What Not To Do" - March 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore but drinking on the other side of the island. I found this one to be very clever with all things considered.

I havenโ€™t been on here in quite a while because of life, but am happy to have solved before forced homeschooling starts.

To all the Cincy peeps, hope you enjoyed the nice weather yesterday in lieu of the parade and game. What a sad set of circumstances to keep us away from GABP. ๐Ÿ˜ข
Donโ€™t bother me until Iโ€™ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hanging with Isaac, pondering the meta and enjoying the distraction.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jim and Anita wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm Ashore! We were delayed getting started because our local internet has slowed to a crawl with all the stay-at-homes streaming content. We enjoyed the fun diversion. In other news, a highlight today was that after Anita was appointed to an interim 19-month term as one of our local township supervisors, the township manager and a notary public came to our front yard to notarize her oath of office from an appropriate social distance and to talk about how she can video conference for future meetings.
Congratulations. Does that mean that I can tell my PSU alumni friends that if they get a ticket when they go back to Happy Valley, Anita can fix it for them?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, Iโ€™m already on my third mimosa with Isaac this morning, so obviously wonโ€™t be able to see my way to the meta by your noon count.
Maybe later. ๐Ÿฅ‚
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Isaac, Isaac, Isaac. Sloe Gin, if you please. I've got time.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Got an answer, but like others, I'm not 100% absolutely confident in it.... but I'm going to submit anyway. Feels right.
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

A very clever puzzle and meta this week.

In view of the expected rush of new Muggles as a result of last week's WSJ article which projected the crossword contest into the national limelight, the time may be opportune for a clarification of the Mugglespeak lexicon. Here are some suggestions:

Rabbit: Any combination of words or letters, in either the grid or the clues, that appears to be meaningful but which is in fact completely useless.

Rabbit Hole: A succession of deductions leading either to a "skunk" (see below) or nowhere

Skunk: A meta solution which has some logical merit but is incorrect.

Red Herring: A hint or suggestion deliberately planted by the grid constructor to lead innocent Muggles astray

Isaac's Bar: A virtual place of solace for disconsolate and thirsty Muggles.

Shore: A mythical place of relaxation for successful Muggles.

Muggle; A tortured soul addicted to the linguistic acrobatics of the weekly WSJ Crossword Contest.

Grid: A rectilinear labyrinth of clues and words needing to be solved.

Meta: A specific word or phrase deducible from a completed grid.

Mug: A revered and coveted trophy awarded each week to a successful (and fortunate) Muggle.

Pageant (noun): An unacceptable intermediate solution to a multi-layered meta.

Pageant (verb): To suffer from the ignominy of submitting a pageant.

And may I suggest:

Polymuggle: A winner of more than one Mug.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

No meta yet (but exploring what is either the holy grail of rabbit holes or a massive red herring). But I do have this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ci5EYb9qA
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Isaac! What do you put in this quaff, man?
One pull on this elixir, and I find myself at the Tiki Bar minutes later. Ashore!
Tiki Bar Open.jpg
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh dear. I printed out the puzzle (been trying to be frugal and reserve this for MG Week 4+ and PGW) and found I'd made a mistake in the grid yesterday. The correction just makes me more determined to use the same strategy, but it's still not quite getting me to the answer I think it should be. And I just checked..like Eric, I think this would complete my one-year streak. I shall persevere.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Quick grid, but putting the puzzle aside since nothing jumped out immediately. Am I the only one on the boat? Or is everyone else just staying in their cabins? ;)
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bob - I've swum back to the boat, that was the wrong island/tiki.

Have a strong idea for part of the answer, if I'm right, this is classic Gaffney. But struggling with the second part of the answer. The path is clear, the destination, less so.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
boharr

Post by boharr »

jenirvin wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am Quick grid, but putting the puzzle aside since nothing jumped out immediately. Am I the only one on the boat? Or is everyone else just staying in their cabins? ;)
You are hardly alone on the boat.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am Bob - I've swum back to the boat, that was the wrong island/tiki.

Have a strong idea for part of the answer, if I'm right, this is classic Gaffney. But struggling with the second part of the answer. The path is clear, the destination, less so.
Maybe swimming laps around the boat will help
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

jenirvin wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am Quick grid, but putting the puzzle aside since nothing jumped out immediately. Am I the only one on the boat? Or is everyone else just staying in their cabins? ;)
Jen
We have a lot who are in some never, never land between the boat's bar and the tiki bar, hopefully not in shark infested waters
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

tim1217 wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 am No meta yet (but exploring what is either the holy grail of rabbit holes or a massive red herring). But I do have this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ci5EYb9qA
Tim - sensational!!!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
spotter

Post by spotter »

AHA Moment! Slept on it, and now I'm very satisfied with an answer. Submitting and headed to shore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I've paddled back to the boat, too. Several posts "wanting to sleep on it" encouraged me, but a few "100%" posts from respected veterans and no verification of my initial makes me sure that I have the incorrect meta answer. However, one muggle's post has given me a clue as to where to look, next. Is there a recommended quarantine or penalty for preposture emancipation?

Received a couple of golf-themed funnies, this morning. They help to ease the pain of delayed majors & tee-offs. Apologies to non-duffer muggles, but the second is a jewel.

- The proper way to give high fives:
proper high 5.png

- The proper way to call someone a _______:

A guy was getting ready to tee off on the first hole when a second golfer approached and asked if he could join him. The first said that he usually played alone, but agreed to the twosome.

They were even after the first two holes. The second guy said, "We're about evenly matched, how about playing for five bucks a hole?" The first guy said that he wasn't much for betting, but agreed to the terms. The second guy won the remaining sixteen holes with ease.

As they were walking off number eighteen, the second guy was busy counting his $80. He confessed that he was the pro at a neighboring course and liked to pick on suckers.

The first fellow revealed that he was the local parish priest. The pro was flustered and apologetic, offering to return the money. The Priest said, "You won fair and square and I was foolish to bet with you. You keep your winnings."

The pro insisted, "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

The Priest said, "Well, you could come to Mass on Sunday and make a donation. If you want to bring your mother and father along, I'll marry them."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
spotter

Post by spotter »

If I get stuck, I'll often recreate and fill in the grid using excel. Then I can highlight and un-highlight things to help myself see more clearly. It was helpful this time for me.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

spotter wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 am If I get stuck, I'll often recreate and fill in the grid using excel. Then I can highlight and un-highlight things to help myself see more clearly. It was helpful this time for me.
Great advice!

I solve the grid using the WSJ online app, first. I then use Excel, too, for the second time, which often gives me an answer (and had thought it did, yesterday). Further highlighting, notetaking, & sorting haven't helped, yet this morning, but will, eventually.

If you have Excel tips or wish to post your solution after the deadline, please add here! Thank you!
Last edited by Joe Ross on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!