"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I have tried sooooo many strategies but nothing is working yet! I've sicced my remote-learning nephew on this one. He says he will help, in exchange for my assistance on a Margaret Atwood essay. That, I can provide!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Geoduck wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:57 am On Shore!

The only mystery left is... well Mr. Bob leave me in the water for a 4th week in a row?

I think not!
You are officially on the shore (hopefully as a clam not to be picked up by a gull and dropped onto something hard). And unless I forget you will be so noted tomorrow at the stroke of noon. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TMart

Post by TMart »

I'm not seeing it. Quarantining myself with Isaac for a while. I tried the MGWCC and I am lost there as well. Good thing there is nothing else to do this weekend!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Do we have any psychiatrists here?

Last week, I struggled with the meta until I stumbled on it while others were getting it easily.

This week because the puzzle was late, we had dinner and a couple of glasses of Merlot. Then while watching Mary Poppins (we wanted something with zero stress), I completed the grid and within 30 seconds had the meta.

Now for the psychiatrists out there - why do you see it so clearly one week and it takes a bat to the head to maybe get it the next?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

not a psychiatrist, but majored in Physics and Psychology, emphasis in animal behavior.

May I put you in this box and teach you to push a lever for food pellets? That I can do. But dreams and bats in the belfry, not my field.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm Do we have any psychiatrists here?

Last week, I struggled with the meta until I stumbled on it while others were getting it easily.

This week because the puzzle was late, we had dinner and a couple of glasses of Merlot. Then while watching Mary Poppins (we wanted something with zero stress), I completed the grid and within 30 seconds had the meta.

Now for the psychiatrists out there - why do you see it so clearly one week and it takes a bat to the head to maybe get it the next?
In vino veritas ...
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Ashore! Jameson's please. Cheers to Mike Shenk; I am slowly learning your tricks! Good, safe, healthy weekend to all.
Last edited by Natalie on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Took another crack at it today - Ill just never be able to solve the meta. I get the clues and even find the sequences but can never get to that third level and actually get the answer. This will probably be the last week I do the WSJ puzzle as its not worth the frustration.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore - toes in the sand! Joint effort this week with 50/50 contribution. Great article about the Muggles community today.....we have been discovered!

Luck to all.............
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm Do we have any psychiatrists here?

Good question. Last week I had the meta in two minutes, before I finished the grid (and I'm not very good at these metas). This week I'm struggling. Part way there, the zip. WHY?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

30 seconds?! Oh Bob, you're hurting me!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
FISHMAGIK

Post by FISHMAGIK »

Drifting..........time to get a whole lot of wine.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 pm Easy grid. This one is not singing to me as loudly as the last one did. I will step away and revisit in the morning.
Revisited this morning and stared way too long at the grid. Ran to the grocery store, came home, worked through Matt Gaffney's grid and have no idea where to begin and then went back to the WSJ puzzle. Two minutes later and I have the answer. I hope the same thing happens when I return to Gaffney's puzzle.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Brain wiring.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:57 pm

30 seconds?! Oh Bob, you're hurting me!
It will be a definite Kas 2 when you solve it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Too many rabbits.
Lost at sea, no land in sight.
Maybe tomorrow.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Janet P wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:22 pm Too many rabbits.
Lost at sea, no land in sight.
Maybe tomorrow.
Does waiting a day really help?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 pm Took another crack at it today - Ill just never be able to solve the meta. I get the clues and even find the sequences but can never get to that third level and actually get the answer. This will probably be the last week I do the WSJ puzzle as its not worth the frustration.
Hang in there....you'll get it! Try studying some of Mike Shenk's old puzzles. (He used to write under the name Marie Kelly.)
Cynthia
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Finally on shore. Had to wrestle with this one a bit. I always get nervous when so many are seeing it easily. Just as I'm thinking that this might be the week my streak ends, it comes together. Not so much of an "aha," as a "whew!"

Now onto MGWCC...