"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

After realizing we weren’t going to find Hey Jude spelled out in the grid, I remembered another similar meta method- also a song. August 9,2019, “Simon Says”, where we just found 5 names hidden in the themers- Gus ( just take the bus, Gus) , Stan, etc. we had to infer the title from those names in the lyrics of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. Peter Gordon meta.
Over on https://crosswordfiend.com/2020/03/15/w ... h-13-2020/
today Matt has several interesting comments about the nits.
I have no nits. Loved it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:17 pm After realizing we weren’t going to find Hey Jude spelled out in the grid, I remembered another similar meta method- also a song. August 9,2019, “Simon Says”, where we just found 5 names hidden in the themers- Gus ( just take the bus, Gus) , Stan, etc. we had to infer the title from those names in the lyrics of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. Peter Gordon meta.
Over on https://crosswordfiend.com/2020/03/15/w ... h-13-2020/
today Matt has several interesting comments about the nits.
I have no nits. Loved it.
I don't read crosswordfiend unless someone references it on Monday. I did not realize how many muggle blog names I recognized over there
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

DrTom wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am
Bird - heads up, the MGWCC does not close until this TUESDAY, your post might be considered a spoiler? I think you can edit them though I don't know if re-posts can be edited?
Now that spoiler can be found in your post! ;)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FrankH wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:25 pm
DrTom wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am
Bird - heads up, the MGWCC does not close until this TUESDAY, your post might be considered a spoiler? I think you can edit them though I don't know if re-posts can be edited?
Now that spoiler can be found in your post! ;)
Dang, didn't think I could edit someone else's post, but apparently if it is in my re-post I can. Thanks FrankH. should have thought about that when I did it. I thought when Bird edited HIS post the others would all change too, See, I'm constantly learning on this site. :oops:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 am Did anyone consider ANNA (GO TO HIM), with eleven letters in the title?

Bueller?

Bueller...?
Yes I did. See my note on Crossword Fiend
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I did. See post #251
BethA

Post by BethA »

Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy St Patrick’s Day!

🍀 Here is your Beef Stew with Guinness Extra Stout! Enjoy! 🍀

51058D1E-B306-4FD5-84FE-8D2311F8AE69.jpeg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy St Patrick’s Day!

Do you have enough for all the muggles?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm
BethA wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy St Patrick’s Day!

Do you have enough for all the muggles?
Yes, there is virtually enough for all! 😉
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Greetings Muggles, from the new work-from-home headquarters of WSJ Crosswords. We hope puzzles are helping you stay sane and distracted during crazy times. Apologies for the briefer report than usual (a lot is going on!): We had a great turnout, 2309 entries, 89% accurate. Lots of other Beatles songs on your playlists. Congrats to this week's winner, Nina Fodor of Scottsdale, Ariz.!
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 am Did anyone consider ANNA (GO TO HIM), with eleven letters in the title?

Bueller?

Bueller...?
I noticed ANNA and many ANA's but didn't realize they were also NA's.
juliet

Post by juliet »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm Greetings Muggles, from the new work-from-home headquarters of WSJ Crosswords. We hope puzzles are helping you stay sane and distracted during crazy times.
Yes, Mike--these puzzles are more important than ever!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:01 pm
Brioso wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:50 pm Stupid question here - how do i find out the actual correct answer??? I’ve not been able to find it! I went with Hey Jude this week.
Several options
1) go to the WSJ.com page and under Living and Arts, select WSJ Puzzles. Open the Monday crossword, then download the pdf. The answer is on the bottom right
2) in the WSJ paper, it is also at the bottom of the puzzle

those are the official answers

unofficially -- go to crosswordfiend.com. there is a good explanation there

also looking through the answers given here will get you the answers
Board index Come Aboard! FAQs - Community - Past WSJ Crossword Contests & Solutions has solutions to every past Wall Street Journal Crossword Contest as well as links to PDFs of their clues & unsolved grids.

The Crossword Contest solutions are posted there and to the appropriate contest thread, here, soon after they are posted by the Wall Street Journal, usually Sundays around midnight.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:35 pm Greetings Muggles, from the new work-from-home headquarters of WSJ Crosswords. We hope puzzles are helping you stay sane and distracted during crazy times. Apologies for the briefer report than usual (a lot is going on!): We had a great turnout, 2309 entries, 89% accurate. Lots of other Beatles songs on your playlists. Congrats to this week's winner, Nina Fodor of Scottsdale, Ariz.!
ABSOLUTELY - so far the puzzle(s) are the bright part of the week. I don't have to stand 3 feet back, I don't have to wear a mask, I don't have to wash my hands (though I think they sometimes wash their hands of me), and they are open all hours of the day. Let's have two this week, a Friday and a Saturday!!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Yes the puzzles are a bright part to the week. Two a week would be great about now: Friday and maybe Tuesday!!
Keep safe everyone!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

please, would like to third or fourth the motion.

the regular WSJ puzzles, w/o the meta - when it's "done and <blank>" in 12 or 15 or 25 minutes ... it's like three Lays chips, leaves you wanting the rest of the bag.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Look at us! We made the paper!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fried-brai ... ge=1&pos=1

Thanks to Matt Gaffney for writing up such a lovely article and even mentioning this very forum :)

P.S. Also thanks to whichever editor headlined the print article "Crazy for Crosswords: Meet the Journal's Weekly Contestants" which is more pleasant than the "Fried Brain Fridays" given it in the online edition.

P.P.S. While the print article has Matt discussing one puzzle (ARGO, 2018) there are THREE examples with analyses in this online piece.
Jamespower56

Post by Jamespower56 »

Just joined, do you talk back and forth when trying to solve meta?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jamespower56 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 am Just joined, do you talk back and forth when trying to solve meta?
Welcome!

We never post about specifics until after the submission deadline. We do talk in general terms. And the private message option here lets individuals talk about anything they want to.

There will be a new board created here this afternoon shortly after the contest puzzle is up on the website. Hope to see you there.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

hints in the forums are frowned on

private messages asking for a nudge will usually get a "ok, what do you have already?"

no one gives out answers, but some help place your feet more than do others. All's fair in mugs and words.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.