"Location Finder" - January 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:32 pm
Jim and Anita wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm Our little landing craft appeared to be lost at sea until we heard from our son who was in the middle of a long international flight and managed to find the crucial insight which guided us ashore. We thought this was a tough one and are in awe of all those who found their way to the beach. Now we can turn our attention to the icy coating on our roads and sidewalks here in central Pennsylvania.
Stay safe

Thank you Bob! The freezing rain on top of snow and then cold temps made it challenging to get out today. But we know lots of folks are facing weather issues. Our son's flight out of Boston (to India via Qatar) was delayed several hours last night and he missed his connection in Doha. But we don't feel too bad about him being stranded for a day in a place where its 72 degrees and sunny.
Here's picture of our driveway after our snowblower and ice chisel gave their best.
January 19 ice storm.jpg
ALS

Post by ALS »

Lost but haven't tried too hard. Need to sit down and redo the puzzle on paper, but probably won't have the time, alas.

ALS
Inca

Post by Inca »

5:30 and still in the dark.
Looks like it's not happening
Inca

Post by Inca »

ALS wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:33 pm Lost but haven't tried too hard. Need to sit down and redo the puzzle on paper, but probably won't have the time, alas.

ALS
I don't work at these--hard or otherwise. I look at it and either something pops for me or not. The only disturbing part is that unless I make a very firm decision to give up on it totally, it annoys me that I didn't see it and it keeps niggling at me that I should look at it again and again and again. But I find that once I'm pretty sure it won't happen, it usually doesn't. Maybe my mind's eye just closes to the solution. Who knows? I've never figured out how my brain actually attacks these metas. I know that I don't go through a set of "rules".
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I slept in today, and woke from a dream about this puzzle.

I "pm'd myself in the dream". But it was a rabbit trail and went deeper into the puzzle than the real answer is (at least, when I strongly believe to be the real answer).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I was getting very nervous there, but finally managed drag myself ashore. On my knees, coughing up salt water, but glad to finally be here!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm calling it quits. I've spent way too much time on this already. Consider me Lost At Sea.
Sara
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:50 pm I was getting very nervous there, but finally managed drag myself ashore. On my knees, coughing up salt water, but glad to finally be here!
That is exactly what I experienced. Matt was very sneaky with this one.
Heidi
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Launch the harpoon, bo'sun. May it strike dry sand with our message. And break open the casks, Mister Isaac.
bunella

Post by bunella »

Thought I was going to drown but i finally made it to shore. Better late than never!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m crying “uncle” this week.
I see the obvious hints, but can’t get past that.
Was at my folks this weekend trying to spell my mom. Dad’s been unwell for a long time.
Spent a good portion of my overnight watch trying spot shore.
Looked much safer for me to hang out with Isaac!
Congratulations to those who are basking on the beach!
Konnie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jim and Anita wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:32 pm
Jim and Anita wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm Our little landing craft appeared to be lost at sea until we heard from our son who was in the middle of a long international flight and managed to find the crucial insight which guided us ashore. We thought this was a tough one and are in awe of all those who found their way to the beach. Now we can turn our attention to the icy coating on our roads and sidewalks here in central Pennsylvania.
Stay safe

Thank you Bob! The freezing rain on top of snow and then cold temps made it challenging to get out today. But we know lots of folks are facing weather issues. Our son's flight out of Boston (to India via Qatar) was delayed several hours last night and he missed his connection in Doha. But we don't feel too bad about him being stranded for a day in a place where its 72 degrees and sunny.
Here's picture of our driveway after our snowblower and ice chisel gave their best.January 19 ice storm.jpg
I sent your picture to a good friend of mine who grew up in St. College. He and his two kids went to PSU
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Janet P wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 pm Made it to the beach after finally seeing the method.
Hopefully those left frustrated will keep at it -- it is doable.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!

And, #GoPackGo
Sorry about your Packers but they are getting hammered by the 49ers
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jag

Post by jag »

Ashore at last - after being stuck with Issac for a couple days I finally got the AHA! I do have a comment/question to post tomorrow, though.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Yah, no - LAS Too little time to crack this tough nut. I know that I am in the ballpark but can't brng it home this week. Cheers.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'll have a 1 in 7 chance of landing on the correct beach with my last minute submission. Count me as swimming to shore.

Hoping all shipmates have last-minute inspiratoon.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 32 on the ship and 63 on the shore.

The last contingent struggling to find a seat in the bar are
Inca
Patty
dplass
Matthew M
ALS
Susan G
Tennisfan826
Hidden in 3G
and ImOnToo

and those getting enlightenment since lunch are
MajorDomoTom
Bulls*****
elan
Heidi
Janet P
Jim and Anita
your humble cruise director
Nalugirl
MaineMarge
Bill T
MatthewB
Brian Mac
bunella
jag
Mark C
and Joe Ross

Good luck to all winning the mug. Best odds in some time
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Carla

Post by Carla »

Cruise director, Bob, please add me to LAS.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On shore I hope. Nearly had to call in the coast guard.
Nlobb
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

This meta presents as if it will be easy....until you try to progress from an easy step 1. Rabbit holes abound! I don’t usually ask, but a PM with a nudge would be greatly appreciated. I would even give you the mug if, against all odds, I were to win it—lol