"Third Time's The Charm" - January 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
elan

Post by elan »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm
elan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:13 pm So close. We have 142 on the shore against last week's record of 146. Since the Green Bay - Seattle game is close, I will send out the final status at the end of the game.
18 points is close? I guess after KC's incredible game it might seem so.... but that was a 20 point game.

In any case please add that I'm watching from shore. I forgot to post earlier.
It is 11 now with the Seahawks having the ball
I'm sorry.... what was that? :-) (Go Pack Go... to San Francisco)
howardl

Post by howardl »

I'm onshore. Around xmas, there were a couple week when I was totally lost (though perhaps a little distracted by family). Then the last two weeks I've been easily on the way to a solution. Perhaps there is an algorithm used by WSJ to alternate easy and hard so that I succeed just often enough to keep me coming back. A rat in the maze. But I'm having "fun" even when I fail to arrive on shore. Don't tell me that's because I'm overindulging with Isaac.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

in my undergrad behavioral psych labs, we were told the best way to teach the rat to push the button (for food) was to do it randomly, so that each time they pushed, they didn't know if they would be rewarded, but to make sure they got a few here and there, else the behavior would extinguish.

isn't it nice that we are all rats in the WSJ maze, trying to take credit for getting these, when really, it's the mice overlords running the universe who are rewarding us from time to time, to keep us going.

insert either a Matrix or a Hitchhiker's comment, here:
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

image0000001_03.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 pm in my undergrad behavioral psych labs, we were told the best way to teach the rat to push the button (for food) was to do it randomly, so that each time they pushed, they didn't know if they would be rewarded, but to make sure they got a few here and there, else the behavior would extinguish.

isn't it nice that we are all rats in the WSJ maze, trying to take credit for getting these, when really, it's the mice overlords running the universe who are rewarding us from time to time, to keep us going.

insert either a Matrix or a Hitchhiker's comment, here:
Don't Panic!
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 am image0000001_03.png
Whew! Glad I chose the right word. As mentioned earlier I got two possible, and suitable, words. ALLURE and LAUREL. Luckily only one followed the "flow" of the words to spell out ALLURE which is another word for CHARM so it made complete sense. Thank goodness I did not choose to rest on my LAUREL! I'm not sure if the author was aware of the duality of the letters, perhaps we were getting a RAZZBERRY?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 am
[P]erhaps we were getting a RAZZBERRY?
Depending on the beer we might order at the tiki bar, perhaps we were getting A PBR TRICKERY?

Wow, it's late. On that very sad note, I'll bid you all adieu.

Congratulations, solvers! Best luck on being drawn for the mug.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:46 am
[P]erhaps we were getting a RAZZBERRY?
Depending on the beer we might order at the tiki bar, perhaps we were getting A PBR TRICKERY?

Wow, it's late. On that very sad note, I'll bid you all adieu.

Congratulations, solvers! Best luck on being drawn for the mug.
Well not that sad really, but I will adieu to the list with your PRB TRICKERY. Thankfully the beer came in cans not barrels or I know you would have been tempted to say, "Its hickory trickery Doc". I prefer to think of the whole thing as PB Ribbin.

OK, too late, mind wanders, puns get worse and lose their allure.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

I may have been the only one still keeping Isaac company this week. Went down the wrong rabbit hole. Couldn't get past the dual appearances of ONE and TWO in the puzzle, and the potential THREE in the top right. Oh well-- we're on to Cincinnati.
Colin

Post by Colin »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 pm insert either a Matrix or a Hitchhiker's comment, here:
“Life? Don’t talk to me about life.” - Marvin the manically depressed robot from HItchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy ... great show and film!
One world. One planet. One future.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Whew! Glad I chose the right word. As mentioned earlier I got two possible, and suitable, words. ALLURE and LAUREL. Luckily only one followed the "flow" of the words to spell out ALLURE which is another word for CHARM so it made complete sense. Thank goodness I did not choose to rest on my LAUREL! I'm not sure if the author was aware of the duality of the letters, perhaps we were getting a RAZZBERRY?
The letters are always in order, not anagrammed. Usually that order is the order of the long entries. The A is from 18 A, L from 20A, L from 30A, and so on.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good news and bad news

The bad news - we fell short of tying our record by one muggle - we had 145 and the record last week was 146

Now the good news. Mike is playing with our minds again. In today's WSJ puzzle, 33A references Marie Kondo. A few months ago we would not have known who or what a Marie Kondo was but we are onto his hijinks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 am Good news and bad news

The bad news - we fell short of tying our record by one muggle *** - we had 145 and the record last week was 146

Now the good news. Mike is playing with our minds again. In today's WSJ puzzle, 33A references Marie Kondo. A few months ago we would not have known who or what a Marie Kondo was but we are onto his hijinks.
*** Actually, Bob, we did tie the record (I believe you failed to include me in your tallies, which may be because I checked into the shore in a postscript to my Post #105 rather than at the beginning). If I am wrong, and you did indeed include me, chalk it up to one of my own ever-increasing collection of senior moments.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Jazzvibist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 am

The bad news - we fell short of tying our record by one muggle *** - we had 145 and the record last week was 146

*** Actually, Bob, we did tie the record (I believe you failed to include me in your tallies, which may be because I checked into the shore in a postscript to my Post #105 rather than at the beginning). If I am wrong, and you did indeed include me, chalk it up to one of my own ever-increasing collection of senior moments.
I did not include you so we tied the record. When you add something to a prior posting of yours, I do not get any notification and I do not see it if I have already gone by it. As a result, there is a very high likelihood of missing it. A lesson for all of us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am

I did not include you so we tied the record. When you add something to a prior posting of yours, I do not get any notification and I do not see it if I have already gone by it. As a result, there is a very high likelihood of missing it. A lesson for all of us.
Thanks, Bob, but I didn’t add it. It was at the tail end of my original post, which I never edited. However, the lesson I did learn from this experience is that when I am ashore, I should always mention it at the start of any post.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

a very alluring puzzle ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Perhaps I have the honor of breaking the record? I do not see myself on any list. See post #188. (I am thrilled to have a solving streak of two :lol: which is almost better that a mug!)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Jazzvibist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks, Bob, but I didn’t add it. It was at the tail end of my original post, which I never edited. However, the lesson I did learn from this experience is that when I am ashore, I should always mention it at the start of any post.
When we have a contest like this, especially between Thursday evening and Saturday morning, when we have dozens of people responding and commenting, I usually need the ship/shore to be the first thing. Many times I like to read the entire comment as they are extremely interesting but when I am in the read/document mode, sometimes I miss something. And then there is the senior moment thing that pops up occasionally.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

I hope Bob cruise director knows how much we all appreciate his efforts.

I, for one, will try to make his life easier in the future by posting my nautical status first thing, top and center, in my first posting on a thread.
David R

Post by David R »

I got the special e-mail this morning, finally won a mug! The odds were only 1 in over 1,800 so I am very fortunate to check this off my bucket list.
Last edited by David R on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.