"Part Two" - November 22, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

JJD wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 pm I suppose we could do that as a community on older puzzles. Revisit some “classic” meta examples that showcase mechanics to look for.
But in the spirit of this forum, we first we need a name that includes wordplay...
FWIW I've been working (more off than on since I've had more serious pressing matters to attend to) on cataloging meta puzzles in my attempts to actually "get" these things. The whole project has definitely been pretty droll, but I'm hoping to finish with it someday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

It has been sincerely stated multiple times and it bears being repeated, often:

All muggles contribute to make this a great place, but BrianMac and Bob, our Cruise Director, deserve a lot of extra thanks. Brian for carving out & maintaining this site. Bob, our Cruise Director, for promoting muggledom and recognizing, cataloguing, quantifying, & reporting our individual & group efforts.

Well done, Brian and Bob. Thank you!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Answer is GLANDS. Each body part has a "part two" that can be found hidden in other words in grid with one extra letter that spells out answer: EAR/(G)LOBE; KNEE/C(L)AP; BRAIN/STE(A)M; EYE/BROW(N); RIB/CA(D)GE; FINGER/(S)NAIL.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I noticed LOBE hidden in GLOBE when I first started filling in grid, so path was clear right away. It was fun searching for the others. But for the same reason that I sometimes can't find other things that are right in front of me, after I had G ANDS, and knew I needed an L, I simply could not find one for the longest time, even after guessing the second part of knee would be cap. I stared and stared, and -- for some reason not seeing CLAP -- I finally, seeing an L in UBOLT, googled UBOT and found it is a thing having to do with artificial knees. It seemed obscure, compared to the others, but it gave me an L. Only after mentioning to another solver that I thought Knee Ubot was strange did I realize my mistake.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

my first "find" was RIB/ CADGE. last one was EYE/ BROWN - I was looking for LASH or LID. But at that time, I had GLADS, so I knew it was GLANDS and that I needed an N, couldn't make N fit either LASH/LID, so started looking for words with an N in them.

Funny - I was trying to make LOBES be my answer and trying to get it to (a) fit the words in the puzzle (it fit a few in an ok fashion, but KNEE LOBES didn't fly) and (b) making it fit the PART TWO theme (didn't at all). Then it started to come together.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 pm That was really fun. I wondered if it was going in a slightly risque direction there for a bit!
Care to clarify? (I think I have a good guess.)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I was totally hung up on the cuteness of the title”Part Two” and having again to find a body part as we had to a couple of weeks ago, Fingers ( being part one). So was looking only for a brand new (multiple) body part, not catching the compound word method. Breakthrough came while trying to anagram yet another set of two almost matching words- Ansel/snail- and there was the aha nail.
Lesson learned: look carefully at each grid word as you fill it in for shorter words staring you in the face.
The 3 down grid words were harder to find because you had to pluck a letter from the middle of the word, as well as trying to get your brain to read in the top to bottom direction.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:45 am It has been sincerely stated multiple times and it bears being repeated, often:

All muggles contribute to make this a great place, but BrianMac and Bob, our Cruise Director, deserve a lot of extra thanks. Brian for carving out & maintaining this site. Bob, our Cruise Director, for promoting muggledom and recognizing, cataloguing, quantifying, & reporting our individual & group efforts.

Well done, Brian and Bob. Thank you!
Thank you. Much appreciated

What makes this blog great is the muggles who are encouraging to all.

Have a good Thanksgiving and drive safely to all who are on the roads
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:09 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 pm That was really fun. I wondered if it was going in a slightly risque direction there for a bit!
Let's just put it this way: I spent some time looking for WHOLE in the grid.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

IMACS was the red herring I mentioned - because losing the M, you get IACS, which gives BRAINIACS. Delayed me a moment.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 am
Oh, that’s not what I was thinking. I’d figured that as you found letters you had G N D S and thought there might just be vowels missing.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:26 am

Oh, that’s not what I was thinking. I’d figured that as you found letters you had G N D S and thought there might just be vowels missing.
Heh... From the MassE answer in the bottom right. Luckily, all the long "theme" answers were enough and there was no need to look for that one. :D
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Too funny ya'll - lol!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

DBMiller wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 am

Heh... From the MassE answer in the bottom right. Luckily, all the long "theme" answers were enough and there was no need to look for that one. :D
Exactly! I mean, it IS a body part! Another comical moment for me was linking RIB and EYE.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am Exactly! I mean, it IS a body part! Another comical moment for me was linking RIB and EYE.
Also the possible kneeCAP with either NAP or kneeCAPS with CAYS. It also did not help when I made my usual mistake of putting cocoa in where I knew cacao was right. So ribCA[D]GE was the last to fall for me, along with eyeBROW[N], for some reason. I had to back solve hunting the N and D, which pointed out my COCOA idiocy.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I stumbled right out of the gate, pairing "lobe" with brain instead of ear. Some organ donor I'D be! Thankfully, I got back on track in time to be overlooked for the mug. Again.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm I stumbled right out of the gate, pairing "lobe" with brain instead of ear. Some organ donor I'D be! Thankfully, I got back on track in time to be overlooked for the mug. Again.
I did that, too. Recovered quickly, though.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Much like Wendy Walker, I found the G, A, N, D, and S of GLANDS, but jumped to the conclusion that an anagram was involved and spent several minutes looking for an O. Embarrassing ... 😜.

(After posting this, it occurred to me that the L was harder to find because, unlike the other letters, it was embedded in a four-letter word, rather than a five-letter one. So I have a partial excuse ... 😜.)
Last edited by DaveKennison on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Devilbunny wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 am IMACS was the red herring I mentioned - because losing the M, you get IACS, which gives BRAINIACS. Delayed me a moment.
Brain took me an extra minute as well. I first saw MASSe
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

We had 1704 entrants to this extremely clever multi-step contest. About 3/4 were right, and I believe many wrong answers may have fallen into the category of a classic PAGEANT: 154 submitted the 6 body parts hidden in the theme answers (without taking the final steps to get to GLANDS), and many more submitted some subset of the 6 parts.

Congrats to this week's winner, Mary Kibler of Atlanta! And Happy Thanksgiving to all!