"Part Two" - November 22, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Devilbunny wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:05 am Step one jumped out pretty quickly, but this bunny is still checking out warrens. Been through four so far. It's definitely good to see your comparables in real estate, but I am looking for one with a nice beachfront view. None so far.

Did the grid Thursday, took another look Friday, and now it's Saturday and still no luck. I'm sure a Homeric "DOH!" will escape my lips Monday morning unless my muse (given the themes lately, perhaps Euterpe?) intervenes. Until then, Isaac, just keep 'em coming.
In the same boat as you.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning fellow Muggles

An interesting challenge by the nefarious Mr. Gaffney - but solvable

First we have 1 1/2 new muggles. Garryj is new to the group which is the one. Hidden in 3D (aka Sara) posted on Welcome aboard but this is the first time she has gotten to shore.

So far we have 6 keeping Isaac company and 100 on the shore.

Consoling with Isaac are
Tom S
Inca
MajordomoTom
MaineMarge - hope she gets well quickly
rexthree
and Devilbunny

and on the shore are
damefox
Al
Mike H
Frankie
troysail
Leslie
Jeanrosz
ky-mike
Scott M
Wendy
Mark L
joequavis
DBMiller
David K
LesY
Julie O
Anita
meg
tim1217
Jim and anita
spotter
Tmart
Heidi
darthdriessen
Chris
toby
hector
Tina
Laura M
Orsys
streroto
Cynthia J
the Thurman8er
Beth T
scooby
oldjudge
moi
Eric P
Tony S
BarbaraK
Steveb
Beth A
Jazzvibist
Juliet
Brian
STL-D
sharkicicles
Tom Wilson
jimmyjam
Cindy
Jeremy
Bird Lives
Commodore
docison
EdStrong
Rita and George
Rrank
BillKatz
Patty
Trey and Marion
DrTom
RDaleHall
Matthew
CallMeShane - and check out his comment - he had my wife rolling on the floor laughting
Peter L
anjhinz
Kay
John B
ImOnToo
Geoduck
Glyn
ALS
Doug C
Dennis
MJD
James C
Kris
Josh
Paul
Bill T
Jack S
Jennifer
bunella
Darlene
Diane
Paul D
Domenic
Brian M
Beth C
Gerry
jag
Barry
garryj
Janet P
Joedbee
Janet
Hidden in 3D
lusophile
and Ann and Bill H who joined us while I was writing this.

And check out the article on the WSJ by Joe Barrett on the Inflatable Turkey Smackdown in Omaha. If we have anyone from Omaha, please take and post some pictures.

Good luck to all winning the mug
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

Ashore. Felt a bit harder than last week. Thanks Mike/Matt!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Bob -

Would it be possible to set up a forum that opens only after the contest is closed, where very small hints can be offered? I find that simply seeing the entire answer and explanation at once is too much to help me improve. I don't have any cruciverbalist friends, so I can't join a solving group. Perhaps some of our more experienced Muggles would volunteer help?
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Finally got it. Many, many rabbit holes along the way.

TFTXWD
JJD

Post by JJD »

Devilbunny wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:57 am Bob -

Would it be possible to set up a forum that opens only after the contest is closed, where very small hints can be offered? I find that simply seeing the entire answer and explanation at once is too much to help me improve. I don't have any cruciverbalist friends, so I can't join a solving group. Perhaps some of our more experienced Muggles would volunteer help?
Yes, I have often wished there was a version of the Crosswordfiend.com where they walk through with light hints and nudge you along — after the contest completes.
I suppose we could do that as a community on older puzzles. Revisit some “classic” meta examples that showcase mechanics to look for.
But in the spirit of this forum, we first we need a name that includes wordplay...
JJD

Post by JJD »

I think I’m improving because I got this one relatively quickly— for me.
Ashore!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Agree that this is harder than the recent ones, which is why I am hanging out with Isaac.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

here are my thoughts = under the Acapulco Lounge, you or anyone else can create a new topic to do exactly what you propose - maybe called something like "post contest nudges". I would suggest having a subtopic for each week's puzzle. The question that we should decide on is what level of hints to give. For example, I can think of several levels of hints for this weeks puzzle ranging from a gentle nudge all the way through pushing off a cliff. I am sure that several would be willing to give nudges on Monday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40 pm

here are my thoughts = under the Acapulco Lounge, you or anyone else can create a new topic to do exactly what you propose - maybe called something like "post contest nudges". I would suggest having a subtopic for each week's puzzle. The question that we should decide on is what level of hints to give. For example, I can think of several levels of hints for this weeks puzzle ranging from a gentle nudge all the way through pushing off a cliff. I am sure that several would be willing to give nudges on Monday
I am guilty of posting unavoidable screen captures of the WSJ's meta solutions after deadlines. Going forward, I will post links to the solutions, since some muggles ask where to find them.

Agree with Bob: There are a number of muggles that will offer variable hints both before & after deadline.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore!
JJD

Post by JJD »

Lifeboats?
Wading Pool?
Swimming Lessons?
Search & Rescue?

I’m trying to think if there are types/categories of clues to provide, but I think they’ll be very puzzle specific.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

JJD wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Lifeboats?
Wading Pool?
Swimming Lessons?
Search & Rescue?

I’m trying to think if there are types/categories of clues to provide, but I think they’ll be very puzzle specific.
OK, well if we are offering names for a group of people chasing rabbits I'm going to go for "Go Ask Alice". (thank you Ms. Slick).

Question. Would these hints be after the contest closes? That would seem the fairest way, but obviously of no help to someone lost during the maelstrom that is Thursday after 1600 to Sunday Midnight. Is this perhaps just supposed to be a solving symposium, in which case posting some of the oldies (at different degrees of difficulty) and the path to their solution might be helpful. However, one last thought, isn't that what Crossword Fiend does each week after the contest is closed?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

one vote for Go Ask Alice, or perhaps something deeper like Jefferson Crossplane

I'm still on the ship, but to be frank, this is only my fourth of these meta puzzles. Yes, I started with one of his recent more difficult ones, then got two easy ones in a row, so I thought I had figured this stuff out. Now I'm at a tea party with Isaac, a doormouse, and other riffraff, hoping that a vorpal sword doesn't make an appearance.

Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe

Another name for the forum could be "the Jabberwocky"
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 pm
JJD wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Lifeboats?
Wading Pool?
Swimming Lessons?
Search & Rescue?

OK, well if we are offering names for a group of people chasing rabbits I'm going to go for "Go Ask Alice". (thank you Ms. Slick).

Question. Would these hints be after the contest closes? That would seem the fairest way, but obviously of no help to someone lost during the maelstrom that is Thursday after 1600 to Sunday Midnight. Is this perhaps just supposed to be a solving symposium, in which case posting some of the oldies (at different degrees of difficulty) and the path to their solution might be helpful. However, one last thought, isn't that what Crossword Fiend does each week after the contest is closed?
Dr. Tom
Definitely after the contest is closed.

The purpose is to help muggles who were on the ship to find a path to the shore. First with a gentle nudge in the right direction. Then a little push if that does not work. Then led to the shore with more definite clues. The idea is to help those who were on the ship understand the thought process that those on the shore followed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have an answer but don't like it, it's not as "neat" as the previous ones, so I'll continue to enjoy Isaac's company for another several hours.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

[quote="Bob cruise director" post_id=9764 time=1574527809 user_id=95]
Good Saturday morning fellow Muggles

First we have 1 1/2 new muggles. Garryj is new to the group which is the one. Hidden in 3D (aka Sara) posted on Welcome aboard but this is the first time she has gotten to shore.

Oh great Cruise Director Bob! Thank you for all that you do! I actually posted last week when I was also on shore and you welcomed me as the 500th Muggle. I only mention this at all because I can tell how meticulous you are about keeping all of us straight.
Sara
Colin

Post by Colin »

Adios Isaac... howdy landlubbers!
Ashore, but I have to find a supermarket before hitting the Tiki bar. If anyone in the drinks line is reading this, please could you put a Dogfish 60 Minute on ice?
Many thanks! 🍺
One world. One planet. One future.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:39 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:50 am Good Saturday morning fellow Muggles

Oh great Cruise Director Bob! Thank you for all that you do! I actually posted last week when I was also on shore and you welcomed me as the 500th Muggle. I only mention this at all because I can tell how meticulous you are about keeping all of us straight.
Hidden
I forgot that. I usually close down the scorekeeping about 9 pm on Sunday. Because you were the 500th, I included you as being a muggle but did not include you as being on shore. So that is why the 1/2.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director