"Out Of The Elements" - November 15, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Deb F wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 pm Perhaps one of our math genius Muggles can shed light. When the mug winner is chosen, I believe we were told that it is not selected from the correct answers. Instead, an entry is selected and, if correct, is declared the winner. If not, they move on until a correct entry is chosen. So, my question is--how does that effect the odds of winning the coveted mug? Come on, muggles, doesn't that system increase the odds? Who's the math/statistics guru out there? Obviously, I am not one of them!!! Back to my wine! ๐Ÿท
It doesn't change the odds. The odds of winning the mug is always 1 in the number of correct entries. As the incorrect entries have no chance of winning the mug, they don't really count.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 pm it ain't gloating/bragging if it's true.
As Walter Brennan used to say, "No brag; just fact"
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DBMiller wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:04 pm
Deb F wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 pm Perhaps one of our math genius Muggles can shed light. When the mug winner is chosen, I believe we were told that it is not selected from the correct answers. Instead, an entry is selected and, if correct, is declared the winner. If not, they move on until a correct entry is chosen. So, my question is--how does that effect the odds of winning the coveted mug? Come on, muggles, doesn't that system increase the odds? Who's the math/statistics guru out there? Obviously, I am not one of them!!! Back to my wine! ๐Ÿท
It doesn't change the odds. The odds of winning the mug is always 1 in the number of correct entries. As the incorrect entries have no chance of winning the mug, they don't really count.
correct, they get drawn, but then they get tossed, so your chances of being correct and being drawn are equivalent under the two methods.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

When I composed my spoiler haiku, I shied away from "Fellow!", because I wasn't sure if the phrase used "Hale" or "Hail". Well, today's Wordsmith has the answer: https://wordsmith.org/words/hail-fellow.html

Personal aside: I enjoy Wordsmith's Word of the Day, but I find the politics insufferable, as they are unrelenting, particularly in the weekend issue with reader feedback.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

pddigi wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:15 pm Late addition (I have had problems logging on, and sent a message through the "Contact us" to the admins): Dom, as expected, made it to shore late Sunday night. He had been on a camping trip, did the grid, and by his reckoning, solved the meta 5 seconds later.
I guess I solved the problem. The challenge question answer is not vertical spelled backwards! It finally dawned on me to try down!! :lol:
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

... all politics are insufferable. We have devolved into a nation of tribes, all at war with each other.

At least we can unite in our battles to solve these tricksy little monsters.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

This was a popular one. We had 1925 entries, 94% correct. Some outbursts of RAIN (18), plus scattered SLEET (2), COLD FRONT/FRONT (2 each), and other one-off guesses including FAHRENHEIT, CLIMATE and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Armand Escobio of Newport, NC!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

I really wanted to forge a response out of SKEET (-> SLEET) and IRAN (-> RAIN), but my kids (my HEROS? ;-) helped me stay on track.

Congratulations to Armand, and to all the solvers this week!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:22 pm Hello all, just a note to say we're a little behind our usual Monday schedule, hope to post a winner tomorrow.
Thought the delay might be because you were trying to fit all the result data in 17 syllables of haiku :)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

How do I start a new topic. In the faq it says click new topic. But where is new topic.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm How do I start a new topic. In the faq it says click new topic. But where is new topic.
You have to drill down to the proper layer of a category before the New Topic icon appears.

New Topic.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 pm
Cindy wrote: โ†‘Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm How do I start a new topic. In the faq it says click new topic. But where is new topic.

New Topic.gif
Yes I found it. I started pgwcc.