"Take A Number" - October 25, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ALS

Post by ALS »

I'm confident that I just found the shore, but I'm not a happy camper overall.

ALS
juliet

Post by juliet »

I'd love to get this one, but so far I am LAS.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

After submitting I did realize there was more than one way to do so. Hope multiple variations will be acceptable! Will look forward to that discussion on Monday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

AARRGGHH! I got through the grid no problem, I struggled through the theme answers with initial difficulty until I saw the light, but the last step WOW??? I am getting nothing that makes any sense, or at least nothing I don't have to interpret. I know that interpreting what is meant in the past has gotten me into real trouble so I am sitting at the bar ruminating and pulling my hair out (well that is rather figurative speech at this point but if I had any I would!). I'm following the usual association of numbers of theme answers with letters in answer but I cannot make them work at all.

I am wondering what this miraculous grid that was developed is? I have seen reference to it twice but nothing anywhere to tell me where to get it. I am grasping at straws here. I can't even find the kid whose raft I stole last week...selfish little devil.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done, but with gripes. Sure of the answer though.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 pm AARRGGHH! I got through the grid no problem, I struggled through the theme answers with initial difficulty until I saw the light, but the last step WOW??? I am getting nothing that makes any sense, or at least nothing I don't have to interpret. I know that interpreting what is meant in the past has gotten me into real trouble so I am sitting at the bar ruminating and pulling my hair out (well that is rather figurative speech at this point but if I had any I would!). I'm following the usual association of numbers of theme answers with letters in answer but I cannot make them work at all.

I am wondering what this miraculous grid that was developed is? I have seen reference to it twice but nothing anywhere to tell me where to get it. I am grasping at straws here. I can't even find the kid whose raft I stole last week...selfish little devil.
Have you highlighted everything relevant in the puzzle?
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

You'll have to count me lost at sea again.
juliet

Post by juliet »

juliet wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:21 pm I'd love to get this one, but so far I am LAS.
Either LAS or close to shore but stuck in the surf, unable to get all the way to dry land.
Inca

Post by Inca »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 pm AARRGGHH! I got through the grid no problem, I struggled through the theme answers with initial difficulty until I saw the light, but the last step WOW??? I am getting nothing that makes any sense, or at least nothing I don't have to interpret. I know that interpreting what is meant in the past has gotten me into real trouble so I am sitting at the bar ruminating and pulling my hair out (well that is rather figurative speech at this point but if I had any I would!). I'm following the usual association of numbers of theme answers with letters in answer but I cannot make them work at all.

If you are referring to the template that Joe Ross shared, it is Post #51 on Come Aboard > FAQs - Community (and quoted below.) I love Excel and redoing the puzzle by filling in the grid a second time and then being able to highlight/erase highlights and write comments....all neatly and quickly without printing did the trick for me.
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:12 pm Link to Friday, 10-25-19, TAKE A NUMBER WSJ Crossword Contest

Good luck, muggles!
juliet

Post by juliet »

juliet wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 pm
juliet wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:21 pm I'd love to get this one, but so far I am LAS.
Either LAS or close to shore but stuck in the surf, unable to get all the way to dry land.
Whew! I managed to drag myself to the beach. My trip was much harder than it should have been, but at least there's a full day left of the weekend for celebrating (even with daylight savings).
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on land and after floundering, 100% sure! We shanked last week, and it's good to be ashore with the crowd again!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Sunday report is a little early as all motion to the shore has stopped for the last 24 hours. This week is almost identical to last week with 68 on the shore and 17 on the ship and relatively few comments.

Since Marge's garden is totally taken care of, we are organizing a bridge tournament in the bar this afternoon so we can keep an eye on the football games.

Since yesterday Janet P, Cynthia J, Janet, DrTom and Ann P have all emerged from hiding and are in the ship's bar.

And making it to one shore or another are
Barry
Beth C
Alan H
Jim and Anita
Orsys
ALS
Kris
Doug C
Arnold
Jud
Trey and Marion
and Juliet

maybe enlightenment will come this rainy afternoon.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

If you're still at sea, this is a good one to print a new copy and go through everything again as you fill it in. Something may jump out at you.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

I’ve spent the last week jet-lagged and playing catch-up after returning from a two-week trip, so I didn’t get around to looking seriously at the meta until this morning. And ... I feel as if I swam ashore with lead weights on my wrists and ankles, but I made it! Cool puzzle, cool meta, great ego boost! 😜
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Finally got some uninterrupted time to look at the puzzle after returning home last night. I can sort of see how the answer relates to "how the theme entries are divided", but I am not sure if my interpretation is what Matt intended.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Finally on dry land.

After getting step one, I dove in off the ship, but then spent a lot of time in the water trying to spear a bright red herring.

This one was difficult, at least for me. And as with many Gaffney puzzles, very clever.
Jay
bunella

Post by bunella »

Finally onshore. Giggling with a friend when we finally got it.

Pretzels and Sam Adams' Utopias (no cheapskates here) for all.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I’ve left the stern, heading for the meeting of the bridge people in the bar. It will be good to get some air after spending all weekend with lots of other Muggle people in those dark rabbit tunnels. Then it will be back to the garden instead of to the luau. I feel like a real dummy this week for having not a clue to the method.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I finally got Matt’s number and found my way to shore. I had a lot of fun with the mental gymnastics of this one. I’m still racking my brain to get to step 2 of the MGWCC, though.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Finally joining the party, fun puzzle!