"Horseplay" - October 18, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ClaudiaS wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:37 pm I haven’t posted in years, but worked so diligently to finally arrive at the solution, I just had to post that I am in shore! And I learned something new!
Welcome back. I had you from the WSJ listing but we are thrilled to have you here on the blog. Congratulations on getting the meta and good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

On shore. Very clever construction! In honor of the puzzle theme I’ll be running around the pool area pushing people in. Consider yourselves warned.
ALS

Post by ALS »

The epiphany struck. Am now ashore.

ALS
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

On shore. Very difficult. Went down many rabbit holes (and had a very lucid dream that the answer was Kidney Stones.). Only figured out by guessing part of the answer first, which is insane given the possibilities, but logic did win out. And speaking of winning, I want that mug!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

FirstMax wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:43 pm On shore. Very difficult. Went down many rabbit holes (and had a very lucid dream that the answer was Kidney Stones.). Only figured out by guessing part of the answer first, which is insane given the possibilities, but logic did win out. And speaking of winning, I want that mug!
I've had dreams about solving metas before, but your answer is better than anything I ever dreamed up. :D
Guy

Post by Guy »

Submitting, lots of paths, certain guesses, never connected, but had great fun. See you all next week!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

23 lengths back and goggles obscured with mud. Looks like my best streak is at an end. Isaac,how about that nightcap you've been telling me about?

Cheers to those who tamed this bucking bronc.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Kas

Post by Kas »

On shore! I'm calling this one a Kas4...not so much for the difficulty (though I thought the construction was brilliant), but because even though I had a good running start at the answer...it just took ages for that moment to click. Worth it, lovely A-Ha moment! Hello Cabana!!!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

One of the telling indicators of the difficulty of this meta is that at this time the last few weeks we up to 13 pages on this forum.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 20 on the ship and 80 on the shore.

For tim1217, a couple of other indicators is that we only have 80 on the shore and 20 on the ship

We also have another new Muggle FirstMax

Since noontime, Guy L and Diane have joined Isaac for the week

And joining the shore group are
Matthew M
ClaudiaS who we welcome back as we have not seen her for a while
Brian
ALS
Bobbydeee
FirstMax
and Kas

Good luck to all winning the elusive mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I'm hot on the trail, think I know what to do but times a-ticking, so am submitting from some shore somewhere, hoping it's the correct one.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

My rabbit holes have rabbit holes. I don’t think there are enough hours tomorrow to take you through every avenueI explored. So much for my last few successful weeks. I know I felt close and will likely be mad at myself in the morning. Meanwhile; I can turn my frustration to the Eagles. Good luck, all. I’m ceding a spot in the odds to you😁
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

<hiccup> Isaaaaaac. Is that you, good friend? What a fine weekend ish been. <hic>
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore with an answer that works. I hope that I have joined the other puzzle-solvers and not landed on Gilligan's Island.
Ann

Post by Ann »

I think I’ve got it.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

On shore at literally the last minute! Submitted the answer before confirming the path but found enough of it to be sure. That was fun!
Lucksta

Post by Lucksta »

I’m dying to hear the solution. Not so lucky this week.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BethA

Post by BethA »

I broke through by starting at the end. Lancelot worked out pretty easily using the chess knight move. Had part of king and part of Arthur, but finally saw that the black squares could be used as the others. All came together.

Cincy moved up to #18!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

This is so wrong...I don't even know where to start!