"Two's Company" - September 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:18 pm
DBMiller wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 pm
SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:57 pm
Indeed it does. That was our first. Next came a Kaypro. Nice compact, portable machine with WordStar for word processing, which I really liked better than whatever came next. The keyboard commands were faster and more efficient than using a mouse. I would have to learn it all over again if I had to go back to it, though.
I don't remember my first any more, there were so many around the same time. TRS-80, Apple II, Timex-Sinclair, Atari, Texas-Instruments. And at college there were real mainframe computers.
About 1990, went to work for a small, 2 partner contractor, who had a 32-bit, (2) 5 1/2" floppy disked Xerox PC - no hard disk - collecting dust in what became my office, for which they had paid $5,000.00 a few years before. This was the very first computer that came with a mouse. Outside of using a payroll service, for which they filled out carboned forms with pencil, everything they did, wrote, paid, typed, & recorded was on paper and sent via US Mail & the occasional facsimile (Yes, I have to speel out that entire word, here).

I couldn't convince them to use the PC for estimating, correspondence, email, etc., until I converted their multi-company, 5 or 6 dozen entrant NCAA pool to a LOTUS123 spreadsheet, which only required us to enter everyone's picks, names, and game winners, whereby the spreadsheet sorted the daily leaders, points, etc. THIS was important to them, so they were willing to see a computer's worth versus tallying the pool by hand. Only then would they consider buying new PCs on which to run their multi-million dollar company.
Beauty is in the eye of the bet holder!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Goldman Sachs
steveb

Post by steveb »

The contest answer is GOLDMAN SACHS.
Replacing one word in each theme entry forms the name of a company hinted at in the clue: SHERWIN-WILLIAMS, ASTON MARTIN, KIMBERLY-CLARK, HEWLETT-PACKARD and MORGAN STANLEY. The first letters of the new words spell SACHS, hinting at the contest answer, like the theme entries a company named for its founders.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Two's Company Solution.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
steveb

Post by steveb »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:57 pm
Indeed it does. That was our first. Next came a Kaypro. Nice compact, portable machine with WordStar for word processing, which I really liked better than whatever came next. The keyboard commands were faster and more efficient than using a mouse. I would have to learn it all over again if I had to go back to it, though.
I don't remember my first any more, there were so many around the same time. TRS-80, Apple II, Timex-Sinclair, Atari, Texas-Instruments. And at college there were real mainframe computers.
About 1990, went to work for a small, 2 partner contractor, who had a 32-bit, (2) 5 1/2" floppy disked Xerox PC - no hard disk - collecting dust in what became my office, for which they had paid $5,000.00 a few years before. This was the very first computer that came with a mouse. Outside of using a payroll service, for which they filled out carboned forms with pencil, everything they did, wrote, paid, typed, & recorded was on paper and sent via US Mail & the occasional facsimile (Yes, I have to speel out that entire word, here).

I couldn't convince them to use the PC for estimating, correspondence, email, etc., until I converted their multi-company, 5 or 6 dozen entrant NCAA pool to a LOTUS123 spreadsheet, which only required us to enter everyone's picks, names, and game winners, whereby the spreadsheet sorted the daily leaders, points, etc. THIS was important to them, so they were willing to see a computer's worth versus tallying the pool by hand. Only then would they consider buying new PCs on which to run their multi-million dollar company.
You guys are so young! In 1977, I started working for a company that sold branch-management systems to banks, including electronic terminals for tellers (probably the first they had seen). The maximum memory capacity of the computer, which would run the entire branch, was 64K. That's right, K. But memory was so expensive then, many branches opted for 48K instead. That computer's long-term storage medium was 8-inch floppies.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Late to mention it, but ashore as well. Only thing I'm missing is how EPOS are vaunted verses--any help?
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

matthewmoravec wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 am Late to mention it, but ashore as well. Only thing I'm missing is how EPOS are vaunted verses--any help?
From The Free Dictionary:

epos (ˈɛpɒs)
n
1. (Poetry) a body of poetry in which the tradition of a people is conveyed, esp a group of poems concerned with a common epic theme
2. (Poetry) another word for epic1
[C19: via Latin from Greek: speech, word, epic poem, song; related to Latin vōx voice]
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Did anyone else spend too much time looking for Goldman somewhere in the grid or the clues? I had SACHS early, and assumed the answer was Goldman Sachs. Then I spent the weekend waiting for Goldman to show up. He didn’t, so I submitted my answer an hour before the deadline. (I did learn that Morgan Fairchild anagrams to Rich Fair Goldman.)
Jack Sullivan
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I don't believe Aston is named after a founder of the company or any person in the company, so that's one inconsistency.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Jacksull wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 am Did anyone else spend too much time looking for Goldman somewhere in the grid or the clues? I had SACHS early, and assumed the answer was Goldman Sachs. Then I spent the weekend waiting for Goldman to show up. He didn’t, so I submitted my answer an hour before the deadline. (I did learn that Morgan Fairchild anagrams to Rich Fair Goldman.)
I didn't spend any. You have to figure out how to change one word in each theme answer to form a company name, so after finding SACHS, you have to figure out how to add one word to form a company name, and like the earlier 5 company names, that new word should not be in the grid. The only thing is whether SACHS should be the first half or second half, and there is really no indication either way. Anyway, Goldman Sachs is the only company I know with Sachs as part of the name.
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

I must admit that I was able to come up with only SA_H_ and had to guess from that. Even attempting to back-solve from that, and with Mr. G’s help, I wasn’t able to come up with a 100% certain answer. But SA_H_ proved to be just barely enough.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

New American-brewed stout from Guinness!! Oh, yes! CD Bob, can we get a really big can for the tiki bar??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2 ... 773041002/
Last edited by MarkL on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

steveb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 am

I couldn't convince them to use the PC for estimating, correspondence, email, etc., until I converted their multi-company, 5 or 6 dozen entrant NCAA pool to a LOTUS123 spreadsheet, which only required us to enter everyone's picks, names, and game winners, whereby the spreadsheet sorted the daily leaders, points, etc. THIS was important to them, so they were willing to see a comnjputer's worth versus tallying the pool by hand. Only then would they consider buying new PCs on which to run their multi-million dollar company.
You guys are so young! In 1977, I started working for a company that sold branch-management systems to banks, including electronic terminals for tellers (probably the first they had seen). The maximum memory capacity of the computer, which would run the entire branch, was 64K. That's right, K. But memory was so expensive then, many branches opted for 48K instead. That computer's long-term storage medium was 8-inch floppies.
Back in the day, a certain three-lettered company was stacking 16K DRAMs to make 'high density' mainframe memory. I won't even get into using punch cards in college before that!!
KayW

Post by KayW »

FrankH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am
Jacksull wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 am Did anyone else spend too much time looking for Goldman somewhere in the grid or the clues? I had SACHS early, and assumed the answer was Goldman Sachs. Then I spent the weekend waiting for Goldman to show up. He didn’t, so I submitted my answer an hour before the deadline. (I did learn that Morgan Fairchild anagrams to Rich Fair Goldman.)
I didn't spend any. You have to figure out how to change one word in each theme answer to form a company name, so after finding SACHS, you have to figure out how to add one word to form a company name, and like the earlier 5 company names, that new word should not be in the grid. The only thing is whether SACHS should be the first half or second half, and there is really no indication either way. Anyway, Goldman Sachs is the only company I know with Sachs as part of the name.
That's the logic I followed, but only AFTER I spent a day or so hunting unsuccessfully for Goldman. Or any other ideas.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

steveb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 am

Bring back punch cards!!!

TOPLFUP (arranging the cards with the corner top left face up)

And pain is if you ever drop the deck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KayW wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 am
FrankH wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am
That's the logic I followed, but only AFTER I spent a day or so hunting unsuccessfully for Goldman. Or any other ideas.
I spent Friday and into Saturday trying to justify Goldman. My first solution was a jewelry chain in New England called Sachs Jewelry but I figured that it was not famous enough.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

The only reason I had 2nd thoughts about Goldman Sachs was that other Muggles here seemed to. I delved into Saks 5th Ave for a bit,
but that shoe didn’t fit. Tiny confirmation possibly in that Morgan Fairchild was the only entry that contained the letters for Goldman, and referenced investment.
asechres

Post by asechres »

I also spent a fair amount of time looking for Goldman before submitting Goldman Sachs.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

My second thought were rapidly assuaged by finding Goldman in MOrGAN fairchiLD and that they're in the same industry.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

As soon as I got SACHS, I figured, why waste time agonizing. So I went with Goldman Sachs. Have to admit to some second thoughts but couldn't come up with any other company that made sense. Good luck, all.