"For Good Measure" - September 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SewYoung wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 pm Also there is a Joe Ross around the block from me in my neighborhood, but since your profile says that you are in Cincinnati, it apparently is not you.
We're a dime a dozen 'round these parts. Extend my best to your neighbor, please! We'll need photos of him wearing lederhosen.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Finally got back to the puzzle (long day!). Pleased to report I'm on the beach.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Happily ashore with my new miniature poodle, Ralph.
(Dealing with the puppy kept me from solving anything for the last few weeks.) A solid puzzle and straightforward meta. Nice job, Mike!
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Onshore. Landed watching Georgia/Notre Dame. Sometimes distraction helps. Maybe a margarita also.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:26 am
jakeorjacob wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:52 am I'm on the gangplank, but the harbormaster refuses to process the bill of lading...

I can only take the metaphor so far. Solving on an iPhone on the web interface, and I can't submit. Never had this problem before. Any thoughts?
You can always e-mail it. Many of us do it that way.
I always email the answer. But, uh, since I've never won the mug, that can only mean my emails have been going to a spam folder. Yeah, that must be it.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 am I have great news for Al and others on the beach. I spotted the Guinness truck and grabbed a photo for my avatar. It should keep us in stock for the weekend.
Be still, my liver!
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

Still on the ship with Isaac.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Lovely, quiet row to shore. Marge, I watered the stern garden before I left :)
Like several others, after another printout the path became clear. (And the nudge from the husband who never gets these was also helpful.)
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:50 pm
BethA: Wear your Bearcat clothing to the Servatii Both #624 & get a free cookie!
Nice pix! And thanks for the tip, but I wonโ€™t make it there this year. (My avatar pic is from 2016 Homecoming, they had a Red v Black basketball game as part of the festivities).
BethA

Post by BethA »

Happy 4th Anniversary, MUGgles!!

My notes say that the first of these WSJ meta puzzles started September 18, 2015! Iโ€™ve submitted an answer to every one, though not always the correct answer!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

After enjoying a few days of Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, I finally had a chance to work this one out. Very clever. Safely on shore enjoying another stein of bier.
Last edited by Stukmn on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donโ€™t bother me until Iโ€™ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 am Happy 4th Anniversary, MUGgles!!

My notes say that the first of these WSJ meta puzzles started September 18, 2015! Iโ€™ve submitted an answer to every one, though not always the correct answer!
Beth
but pretty good. I have you on the shore for 113 of the 122 weeks that I have records for.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles. We have had a steady flow to the beach and how have 95 on the shore and 9 on the ship.

And thanks to Beth Albers for reminding us that this is the fourth anniversary of the meta contests in the WSJ.

New to the shore are Ann P and Bill H

Joining the crowd in line for the Guinness truck are
Joe R
ImOnToo
the Thurman8er
Geoduck
Natalie
John D
Deb
Richard
Jud
Howard H
MatthewB
Janet P
and Stukmn

Good luck to all in winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Patty

Post by Patty »

Have been on shore for a while but forgot to post! I really enjoyed this one. A big thank you to Bob, our cruise director and Brian Mac for setting up this forum.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Looking for a 25-acrossโ€”Iโ€™m halfway to the beach (unless whatbai Have is the Grand Moff Tarkin of all red herrings)...close enough to have jumped off the ship, but still floundering about in the waves...
Kas

Post by Kas »

Phew! Finished splashing aboutโ€”I have emerged from the shore, like unto Venus from the waves...well, a tenuous analogy at best...but anywayโ€”hello cabana!!

Calling this one a 3.5 on the scaleโ€”nearly missed the 2nd part, once it clicks, itโ€™s a โ€œYou Know For Sure!โ€
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

On shore. Cute puzzle.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Kas wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm Phew! Finished splashing aboutโ€”I have emerged from the shore, like unto Venus from the waves...well, a tenuous analogy at best...but anywayโ€”hello cabana!!

Calling this one a 3.5 on the scaleโ€”nearly missed the 2nd part, once it clicks, itโ€™s a โ€œYou Know For Sure!โ€
I do hope that you weren't as naked as she when you emerged from the waves!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Just canโ€™t get part two. Time is running out. Still with Issac!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Been on the beach this weekend, but not with Muggles, went fishing and golfing! So far, no fish, birdies or solutions. Nice tan though! Back to it next week.
One world. One planet. One future.