"Simon Says" - August 9, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Some of these comments make me feel so... so... ancient.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:56 am Keeping Isaac company is Joe Ross unless he slipped ashore and I missed it.
Bob, you do a great job of herding us muggles. Thank you!

I am ashore, tyvm. For two consecutive weeks, I've taken Inca's advice and re-solved the grid using my phone, with the meta immediately obvious. May I shout, "DOH!"?

With a nod to Deb F's Dewars, a salute to all muggles with a finger of Glenfiddich & a dram or two of branch water.
sláinte, Joe! Glad to have you on the beach. Knew you'd make it.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

If this matters in establishing a new record, you can add my son Dom to the list. He struggled more than usual with this one, but got it without any real spoilers being given by dear old dad. I did mess with him, though: as he was about to give it up, I told him "When it comes to metas, you're the bomb, Dom!" While that didn't help him with the solving process, he realized in retrospect the significance of what I had texted him.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Once I saw the names in the grid I started to hear fragments of the song, but couldn't quite nail it down; also thought of You can Call me Al, and knew it was a Paul Simon song we were looking for. Once I got it, I couldn't stop it running through my head! And so it continues today.....
Fun puzzle and I liked the tie-in with the title. I did think that it would be a tough solve without being familiar with Simon.
Good luck to everyone for the mug, with what will certainly be long odds
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

I haven't posted anything here for a few months despite the fact that I have been submitting correct solutions to the weekly WSJCC metas on a timely basis (no mug yet) more often than not during that time frame. Since we are fast approaching a Muggles record, let it be known to Bob that I started this particular grid just before midnight my time on Thursday and submitted the correct answer within less than 10 minutes. Although this one was particularly easy for me (and apparently for almost everybody else), it doesn't detract from the enjoyment I had in tackling it and realizing the answer.

And my kid sister, Phyllis (who isn't a part of this Forum), called me yesterday to tell me that she had solved it too.

Stu Katz
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Hey Bob! You missed me in your list! I solved it at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Meg wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 am The first song that popped into my head was "You can Call me Al". Maybe I was thinking of just names or maybe Al Sisti. Fortunately, I checked it out. It’s always a good idea to check out your meta before submitting. Everybody should check out Laura"s review on the Crossword Fiend.
Yes--that's now my favorite review on CrosswordFiend ever!

Anybody else distracted by the profusion of uncommon letters in the grid? I spent some time in that rabbit hole because I thought that zinc/jinx/izod/haze MUST have something to do with the meta...
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

For those not familiar with Crossword Fiend, here's the direct url to the wonderfully fun review of this puzzle by LauraB recommended by several muggles below:
https://crosswordfiend.com/2019/08/11/w ... ore-106051
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Pre-grid, from the title, had Paul Simon in mind, along with Simple Simon Says, and the few songs with the lyric "let your back bone slip." Mid-grid, wondered if Ray Charles had that lyric in Shake a Tail Feather. Post-grid, winnowed out "JACK", " STAN", "ROY' & "GUS", but was still humming to Ray & didn't make the obvious connection. YouTubed Shake a Tail Feather a few (dozen) times and moved on to some other favorites. Re-gridded a day or two later & the answer smacked me in the face. It's been a weekend of pleasant earworms.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
juliet

Post by juliet »

It was exciting to watch the forum to see if we'd have a new record. I love reading Bob's clever updates but am wondering if maybe there is a way to add a button or toggle feature to our posts or profiles for self-reporting our location (ship vs. shore), with the total numbers automatically tallied, and maybe a counter for each puzzle that shows the current standings.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

juliet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 pm It was exciting to watch the forum to see if we'd have a new record. I love reading Bob's clever updates but am wondering if maybe there is a way to add a button or toggle feature to our posts or profiles for self-reporting our location (ship vs. shore), with the total numbers automatically tallied, and maybe a counter for each puzzle that shows the current standings.
Brilliant! If possible, perhaps a rating (1-10?) for grid and meta difficulties as well. And the number of celebratory libations?
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

juliet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 pm It was exciting to watch the forum to see if we'd have a new record. I love reading Bob's clever updates but am wondering if maybe there is a way to add a button or toggle feature to our posts or profiles for self-reporting our location (ship vs. shore), with the total numbers automatically tallied, and maybe a counter for each puzzle that shows the current standings.
An idea a 21D'er would love!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
pookie

Post by pookie »

Hi I finally figured out how to register. I have been doing the WSJ Contest for a few months and got it right this week and the last 4 weeks. How do you add a picture? Good luck to all you Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I got lazy and entered the same answer as last week: FIVE GUYS, Jack, Stan, Roy, Gus, and Lee.
Jay
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

pookie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:57 pm Hi I finally figured out how to register. I have been doing the WSJ Contest for a few months and got it right this week and the last 4 weeks. How do you add a picture? Good luck to all you Muggles!
Pookie
Welcome aboard. To change your avatar (picture) go to your name in the upper right hand corner of every page. On the drop down menu select "Profile" . On the page that shows up, you will see "edit profile" to the right of your user name in the middle of the page. Click "edit Profile" and another screen will open. On the left side, you will see "edit avatar" where you can browse and upload your picture. Note that the limitations on the avatar are 20K and a size of 180 pixels by 180 pixels. If you have problems send me a private message and we will get you through it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

pookie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:57 pm Hi I finally figured out how to register. I have been doing the WSJ Contest for a few months and got it right this week and the last 4 weeks. How do you add a picture? Good luck to all you Muggles!
Is this the same Pookie who used to comment on Bill's LA Times Crossword? (Heidi)
Heidi
pookie

Post by pookie »

Is this the same Pookie who used to comment on Bill's LA Times Crossword? (Heidi)
Yes, Heidi. Hello!
Politics ruined that blog for me. I do crosswords for enjoyment and like to see what other solvers thought of the puzzle, not to get a lecture. Do you still comment on Bill's blog?
pookie

Post by pookie »

OK, thanks Cruise Director Bob. I will try per your instructions. I still haven't figured out this format as to answer a reply, but I wanted to thank you for your help in posting an avatar. Wish me luck! Cue crickets while I figure this out.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

pookie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:18 pm OK, thanks Cruise Director Bob. I will try per your instructions. I still haven't figured out this format as to answer a reply, but I wanted to thank you for your help in posting an avatar. Wish me luck! Cue crickets while I figure this out.
Good luck.

We have worked hard to keep this blog a politic free zone.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am Hey Bob! You missed me in your list! I solved it at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
Wendy
Sorry about that. With us so close, I have to decide if I should count the late arrivers after I go to bed. I get up early on most Mondays to play golf so I miss anyone who posts after about 9 pm.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director