"Chain Gang" - August 2, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I thought I had submitted to you that I solved but did not see it.. but I am safe!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Sitting here on the the Group W Bench. Solved it.
...And they all moved away from me on the bench there.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

martimeryard wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:10 pm
Inca wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:51 pm I just decided to come back and take a look at the puzzle again and....nothing.
I'm feeling pretty dumb right now seeing how many are saying this was pretty simple.
I see absolutely nothing.
Maybe I'm not really looking too hard since food chains are definitely not something I know anything about and when that happens it puts a damper on my meta-mojo.
I'm there with ya. I got nothing. Thought I could make this the third week in a row.
Whether you are on the ship or the shore, we welcome you to the group with open arms.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Jeanrosz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:52 pm I thought I had submitted to you that I solved but did not see it.. but I am safe!
Jean - with the crowd on the shore all singing about Alice's Restaurant, I easily could have missed you. Welcome to the beach
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

PHEW ... traveling (there's actually a clue that obliquely hints where -- made me grin!) so only got to this today. Made it to shore, g-n-t firmly in hand. Cheers to all.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am
Jim and Anita wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 am What a great group at Isaacs. Having a splendid day looking forward to the sunset from the ship. Kudos to all who made it to shore!
Friday my wife and I joined you in the 50 year club.
Congratulations Cruise Director Bob on your 50th wedding anniversary!!!!We hope you're having a wonderful celebration and that this is the start of another great year for the two of you and your family.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am
Jim and Anita wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 am What a great group at Isaacs. Having a splendid day looking forward to the sunset from the ship. Kudos to all who made it to shore!
Friday my wife and I joined you in the 50 year club.
Great feelings of pride should go with the love at that achievement for both of you , Bob. And to our other muggles who have reached that milestone. We celebrated ours last October. I got red roses from our garden, and he got his favorite meat loaf dinner. Fortunately the Red Sox didn’t interfere- the season being over...
What a lovely post, MaineMarge! And belated congratulations on your 50th celebration. I'm reminded of a saying a friend said that great joy is "doing what you love with the people you love." How fortunate all of us are to be able to do that.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

I'm ashore. Yum!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final report has 6 on the ship and 98 on the shore.

and we welcome martimeryard as our newest muggle. She is joining several others keeping Isaac company and enjoying MaineMarge's garden this week

And since noon Jean, Stuart and Natalie have made it to the crowded shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 pm Our final report has 6 on the ship and 98 on the shore.

and we welcome martimeryard as our newest muggle. She is joining several others keeping Isaac company and enjoying MaineMarge's garden this week

For the record, I am a he. Still keeping Isaac company… I think. The solution I found doesn't have me feeling confident.
Diana

Post by Diana »

I'm on shore with at least four other gals I know.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

martimeryard wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:15 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 pm Our final report has 6 on the ship and 98 on the shore.

For the record, I am a he. Still keeping Isaac company… I think. The solution I found doesn't have me feeling confident.
I am very sorry. Good luck getting to the shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

Still on the boat after actually spending some significant time on this one. Will probably have my aha moment after I read the solution. 🤣
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 pm
martimeryard wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:15 pm

I am very sorry. Good luck getting to the shore
No need to apologize. You wouldn't have known otherwise!
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

I am LAS. Hoping for something to click soon
Randy

Post by Randy »

Still getting my sea legs in this forum. Is "LAS" Lost At Sea? If so, I am somewhere in the middle of the Pacific with half an hour left to reach shore.

I also don't understand several items in the grid. What do the long answers have to do with the puzzle theme?
For what do we live but to make sport for our neighbours and laugh at them in our turn?
- Mr Bennet
Colin

Post by Colin »

20-ish mins until last orders, so I expect to see 12 bells pass with Isaac and a few other lonely souls. Please note the capitalization.... not Bells! (hic) Congrats to all the landlubbers!
One world. One planet. One future.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Randy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:31 pm Still getting my sea legs in this forum. Is "LAS" Lost At Sea? If so, I am somewhere in the middle of the Pacific with half an hour left to reach shore.

I also don't understand several items in the grid. What do the long answers have to do with the puzzle theme?

Yes, Lost at Sea. This section has some explanation of the terminology you may see used on the forums.

As for the long answers, they are usually, but not always, the starting point for solving the meta. There may be a pattern or something in common in the longer answers. See [url=
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49]this thread[/url] for some useful tips on solving the meta.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Randy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:31 pm Still getting my sea legs in this forum. Is "LAS" Lost At Sea? If so, I am somewhere in the middle of the Pacific with half an hour left to reach shore.

Sometimes, everything.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Sometimes, everything!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!