"Poets' Corner" - July 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Quick question that has been asked before but whose answer I have forgotten:

is the answer to the meta case-sensitive? As in the case of Poets' Corner: will the algorithm that accepts / rejects answers treat idyll, IDYLL, and Idyll the same? What about answers with more than one word?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Natalie wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:43 pm Quick question that has been asked before but whose answer I have forgotten:

is the answer to the meta case-sensitive? As in the case of Poets' Corner: will the algorithm that accepts / rejects answers treat idyll, IDYLL, and Idyll the same? What about answers with more than one word?
It is not case sensitive.

The algorithm is a person looking at the emails.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 am Whem comments mention "construction" or especially "clever construction," I know to look beyond the meaning of the words in the long answers and to search the grid for other arrangements of letters related to those answers.
I tend to look for styles from the creators. Mike Shenk's style is generally to solve within the grid. This solution method was more similar to Matt Gaffney's in that the style is outside the grid.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Well now I feel really silly. Before I saw IDYLL, I submitted a wrong answer. But it wasn't DILLY, which makes perfect sense, but the far-fetched AMORE, which hugs the corner opposite Shelley.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Not as silly as I, Frances! I found "idyll" only after I moved from poetry to geometry and more closely inspected those right angles - and only after I submitted the woefully incorrect "enter," which I found in the southeast corner. Surely that had to be right, I thought; what better entry than "enter" itself? Said no one. Ever.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:21 pm Not as silly as I, Frances! I found "idyll" only after I moved from poetry to geometry and more closely inspected those right angles - and only after I submitted the woefully incorrect "enter," which I found in the southeast corner. Surely that had to be right, I thought; what better entry than "enter" itself? Said no one. Ever.
Actually, there was one a while back where that (or something very similar) was the answer. The title had something to do with winnig a contest and asked for the first or most important step. One of the geniuses (nerds?) on this board who keep better records than I, can look back and give you more information on that puzzle.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 pm
Natalie wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:43 pm Quick question that has been asked before but whose answer I have forgotten:

WOW ... the algorithm is a PERSON????? Will wonders never cease? : ) ) ) Thanks!
juliet

Post by juliet »

Cbburns wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 am Maybe a week where two answers are correct! I think all the poets in the puzzle could be considered a great example of a poet....so I am urging for “dilly” to be considered a correct answer. Had the answer been a five letter adjective “ idyll” would have been correct. But had the answer been a 5 letter noun, than “ dilly” would have been correct..
After leaving the ship too early a couple of times already this summer, I searched G for IDYLL to confirm it is a noun. Seeing that an idyll is also a poetic form, provided a solid, satisfying "ah!"
steveb

Post by steveb »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:29 pm
Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:21 pm Not as silly as I, Frances! I found "idyll" only after I moved from poetry to geometry and more closely inspected those right angles - and only after I submitted the woefully incorrect "enter," which I found in the southeast corner. Surely that had to be right, I thought; what better entry than "enter" itself? Said no one. Ever.
Actually, there was one a while back where that (or something very similar) was the answer. The title had something to do with winnig a contest and asked for the first or most important step. One of the geniuses (nerds?) on this board who keep better records than I, can look back and give you more information on that puzzle.
I wonder if you're thinking of 3/17/17, where the contest asked for "a seven-letter word that you always see in crosswords." The answer was ERASURE.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Or perhaps 12/21/18 where a “key to success” was ENTER.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

That's the one. Thanks.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I loved this meta too! The diving into the 5 (Googled) poems, the multi- step method, the turning up at the corners, and especially the sharing of thoughts with the Muggles. Thanks again to Brian Mac and Bob and their understudies and the general participating audience. Audaciously clever.
I spent an idyllic weekend in the garden with a sunny summer breeze helping me recommit Robert Frost’s The Silken Tent to memory.
My maiden name was Frost, and I’m just a country girl, so his poems are among my favorites. I can still picture him reciting his patriotic poem, The Gift Outright, at President Kennedy’s inauguration.
Edna St.Vincent Millay is from my hometown of Camden, Maine.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Has the mug winner been announced?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:24 am Has the mug winner been announced?
Not that I have seen
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Greetings and apologies for the delay (after a summer Monday off). A big turnout for this brilliant puzzle: 1620 entries, 86% correct. A large showing for DILLY (92!), which is not a bad guess. And then a smattering of other wrong answers including ELEGY (5), METER (4), TEAMS (4, why?) and myriad others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Debbie Cirulnick of Key Largo, Fla.!
Hector

Post by Hector »

ELLIOT, AUDEN, TENNYSON, SHELLEY, MILLAY can anagram to TEAMS (but also STEAM, MATES, and MEATS, which should have been a tip-off).
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm ELLIOT, AUDEN, TENNYSON, SHELLEY, MILLAY can anagram to TEAMS (but also STEAM, MATES, and MEATS, which should have been a tip-off).
Or METAS!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:56 pm Greetings and apologies for the delay (after a summer Monday off). A big turnout for this brilliant puzzle: 1620 entries, 86% correct. A large showing for DILLY (92!), which is not a bad guess. And then a smattering of other wrong answers including ELEGY (5), METER (4), TEAMS (4, why?) and myriad others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Debbie Cirulnick of Key Largo, Fla.!
Thanks, Mike.

And nice seeing your comment featured in Matt’s write-up of last week’s MGWCC!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Natalie wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 pm

WOW ... the algorithm is a PERSON????? Will wonders never cease? : ) ) ) Thanks!
Mike’s new nickname? — The Algorithm. 😀
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am I loved this meta too! The diving into the 5 (Googled) poems, the multi- step method, the turning up at the corners, and especially the sharing of thoughts with the Muggles. Thanks again to Brian Mac and Bob and their understudies and the general participating audience. Audaciously clever.
I spent an idyllic weekend in the garden with a sunny summer breeze helping me recommit Robert Frost’s The Silken Tent to memory.
My maiden name was Frost, and I’m just a country girl, so his poems are among my favorites. I can still picture him reciting his patriotic poem, The Gift Outright, at President Kennedy’s inauguration.
Edna St.Vincent Millay is from my hometown of Camden, Maine.
I spent a few summers in Camden (my wife was an habituée of the Photo Workshop in Rockport), but I do not recall anyone mentioning that Millay was from there. (I always thought of her as Edna St. Louis Missouri, so even if someone had told me, the information probably didn't register.)
Jay