"The Paper Chase" - July 19, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On shore and had to mix our own martini's. Sorry Isaac, but I'll double tip next week.

Enjoying the mountain, ducks about to hatch, early corn, and awaiting the induction of the best relief pitcher in the history of the world into the Hall of Fame as the first unanimous pick ever.
Rufus T. Firefly
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Sorry, Isaac. Not this week. On shore.
-Doug Morack
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

On shore! Good one.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Need to have some easier ones to keep me going (kind of like Vegas -- just enough to keep me feeding the slots!)

AP Chemistry was like taking the first Organic Chem class. Such a bear!
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore! I'm starting to get the hang of these things!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Here I am thinking, "Wow, Friday evening and I have solved it already", then I look and see that most of the immediate world is on the beach. OK, then I see a small spot of sand so move over folks, I'm joining you.

Nice puzzle and pleasant relief from last week when I had 93% of it figured out, I was just missing the 7% solution.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
pkcx

Post by pkcx »

ASHORE! Like Madonna’s 1985 hit...
“People say ‘nothing is impossible,’ but I do nothing every day.” - Winnie the Pooh
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

On the beach.

It’s so hot and humid today that I dove off the side of the ship and swam to shore to cool down

Grid was medium tough but the meta aha moment came to me after just one day.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Got it wrong last week, didn't take the last step with the atomic numbers. Solved this one though! Done & done. Clever meta. Good luck Muggles.
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

Safely ashore, but pretty crowded this weekend.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

After some initial intimidation by the multitude of early solvers, I have reached that virtual shore. It may have helped that I woke up on the real Long Beach Island, NJ, and took a second look!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

31 Down wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 am
MattGaffney wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:31 pm Good luck Muggles! No hints, just dropping by to say that I enjoy reading your comments here.
Who dat???

Reporting as solved. Does anyone remember the movie, Paper Chase, with John Houseman? After watching that, I decided I would NEVER attend Harvard Law. Oh, and after watching The Prize (1963), I decided I would NEVER accept a Nobel Prize. Oh, and after watching...................
After watching Tiger Woods win the 1997 Masters by 12 strokes at 18 under par, I decided I would NEVER enter The Masters...
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 pm On shore and had to mix our own martini's. Sorry Isaac, but I'll double tip next week.

Enjoying the mountain, ducks about to hatch, early corn, and awaiting the induction of the best relief pitcher in the history of the world into the Hall of Fame as the first unanimous pick ever.
are you in Cooperstown?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good morning fellow muggles

Hopefully you are somewhere cool and dry today

and welcome to our newest muggle: Noneedforaname

And if you are over 55, you probably remember where you were 50 years ago today when man stepped on the moon. An amazing technical and cultural feat.

Our Saturday report is a little early as we have a mob of 104 on the very crowded shore. And this one is a 100% er

Maine Marge is tending her garden on the stern of the ship with Isaac bringing her iced tea. I suspect that after she gets tired of pulling weeds she will join us on the shore.

And our list of the shore mob is
Leslie
joe R
Janet
Stuart
Wendy
Cindy
Tmart
Hector
meg
Tom Wilson
Mark L
Darryl
Julie
Al
Heidi
streroto
Frankie
Bill
Darthdriessen
STL-D
Moi
ky-mike
OGuyDave
docison
DB Miller
Andrew B
Mheberlingx100
Diana
Bird Lives
Barbara K
BrianMac
Laura
Les
Chris
JPMalone
Bill T
Jim and Anita
Jack
Fred
SteveB
scooby
Eric P
tim1217
Jimmyjam
Matthew
Paul
drabble
gamera13
joequavis
Inda
SewYoung
Beth A
toby
Tina
anita
PeterLee1a
Scott M
oldjudge
Trey and marion
Frank
31 down
Jeff S
W dunbar
Candy B
Gerry
ALS
a3jay
Janet P
Kris
Mary F
Juliet
Timothy
howard H
David K
Deb
cinemagical
Cynthia J
Kay
Brian
Richard
Doug C
Tony
Ed S
Orsys
Susan G
Steve T
ImOnToo
Jean
Paul D
and his son Dominic
the Geoduck
Rad26
Tom S
Doug M
Beth C
DrTom
Guy L
bill H
ann P
Joedbee
grwinski
pkcx
and Dennis

Hopefully I did not skip over anyone

In case anyone was asking the record on the shore is 137 on February 1, 2019 "Just Say The Word" by Matt Gaffney (sounds like Groucho)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Deb F wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am After allowing myself to be "paginated" last week, on shore--100%. Sorry to see so much of the country baking this weekend--we are somewhat used to the heat and humidity in Hilton Head but, even for us, this week was like being in an oven. Stay hydrated, gang. Work in a water between margaritas!
I, too was paginated last week. I felt sure that there was more to it, but did not find the extra step. I should have remembered to look at atomic numbers as well as symbols. My husband and I were planning to be at Hilton Head this weekend to visit his cousin, but had to cancel our plans due to his (my husband) falling ill. If we had actually made it there, I would have tried to look you up.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:14 am
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 pm On shore and had to mix our own martini's. Sorry Isaac, but I'll double tip next week.

are you in Cooperstown?
I am not. I am about an hour and a half away in VT. I will have to stream it to see it.

It is a chilly 79 here with 100% humidity. Thank god for the elevation and breeze.
Rufus T. Firefly
bunella

Post by bunella »

On shore. Easy peasy. No chasing my tail this time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Bunny - about time!!! With the heat we needed some salt and you were hogging the pretzels on the ship.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore and happy for the swim in cool waters to get there. Good fun, this. Stay cool, everyone!

And just to round things out -- I had the right idea last week, but had 'trade GAP' and not 'trash HEAP,' so could never take that all important second step.