"The Paper Chase" - July 19, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
janekirstine

Post by janekirstine »

Yay! After a long dry spell, I got this one!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On shore!
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

On shore. Finally, a nice easy one. I've been AWOL for a few weeks. I've been doing the puzzles, haven't solved the metas, and decided not to stress about it.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally on dry land! I was a little bit slow on the metas this weekend. I must still be recuperating from my “working” vacation in Alaska.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Finally got the time to sit down with the meta. A G&T helps me focus, and I’ve focused in on the answer. Good answer! Now the question is : to go to shore or not to go to shore... The nice captain had one of those ship’s railing telescopes installed in my room with a view of the shore, and I can’t detect any room in the inn for me there. No one else is here on the ship except Isaac and me, and he’d be pretty peeved if I too jumped ship. So Bob, count me wherever you’d like. Just don’t count me out.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:04 pm Finally got the time to sit down with the meta. A G&T helps me focus, and I’ve focused in on the answer. Good answer! Now the question is : to go to shore or not to go to shore... The nice captain had one of those ship’s railing telescopes installed in my room with a view of the shore, and I can’t detect any room in the inn for me there. No one else is here on the ship except Isaac and me, and he’d be pretty peeved if I too jumped ship. So Bob, count me wherever you’d like. Just don’t count me out.
MaineMarge
Your heart is on the shore. And we don't want the garden to wilt in the hot sun. So I am counting you on shore and expect the garden to be beautiful when there are more of us on the ship in a week or so.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Swam to shore quickly. This puzzle fit nicely together in typical Gaffney/Shenk fashion.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Easy swim this week. Count me ashore. Hope the ocean is as welcoming in real life. It's hot here in Ocean City, MD!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Patty

Post by Patty »

A meta mind meld with Matt. What could be better than that??
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Today’s New York Times has a full page ad from Pernod introducing a new whiskey called Rabbit Hole. I assume Isaac will be stocking it by our next voyage.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good hot Sunday from New England

Isaac has closed up shop. MaineMarge's garden is on an automatic watering system and we have 115 muggles on the shore or most likely at the air conditioned tiki bar.

The steady flow from the ship to the shore since yesterday includes
Natalie
Bunny
Ann
janekirstine
Rita
Sheilaco
Jeremy Smith
MaineMarge
Jennifer
Patrick
and Patty

After watching the final round of the British Open, any thought of playing golf in Ireland just went out the window. In addition to the hilly terrain which eats golf balls, it is rainy, windy and cold.

Good luck to all winning the mug - odds will be very long indeed
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 am Good hot Sunday from New England

Isaac has closed up shop. MaineMarge's garden is on an automatic watering system and we have 115 muggles on the shore or most likely at the air conditioned tiki bar.

The steady flow from the ship to the shore since yesterday includes
Natalie
Bunny
Ann
janekirstine
Rita
Sheilaco
Jeremy Smith
MaineMarge
Jennifer
Patrick
and Patty

After watching the final round of the British Open, any thought of playing golf in Ireland just went out the window. In addition to the hilly terrain which eats golf balls, it is rainy, windy and cold.

Good luck to all winning the mug - odds will be very long indeed
But there is plenty of Guinness!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Better late than never! I’m joining the very crowded tiki bar, happy to have a Gaffney under my belt; not a common occurrence, lol. His creativity mostly surpasses my solving abilities...but it’s still a fun challenge.
Carla

Post by Carla »

Nice to be 100% sure I am on shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

We are closing shop a little early as movement toward shore has slowed since noon. We have 118 on the beach with the addition of Diane, Gwyneth and Carla.

Next week, I will be at our family reunion so Wendy will be the Cruise Director. If Mike is kind to us, I will get the contest done Thursday night. Otherwise it will be down to the wire
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. Busy getting ready to move so don't spend as much time on these as before.

At least the word describing a good journalist was better than the words I think of for most of the modern American journalists. You couldn't print them.
BethA

Post by BethA »

From Monday’s PDF —

The contest answer is GUTSY. The five cities in the theme answers combine with a word in the grid, with one letter changed, to form a newspaper: Miami Herald (GERALD), Denver Post (POUT), Chicago Tribune (TRIBUTE), Boston Globe (GLOBS), and Fresno Bee (BEY). Those changed letters spell the contest answer.
BethA

Post by BethA »

All I could think of, after solving —

Lou Grant:
You know, Mary, you've got spunk.

Mary Richards:
Why, thank you, Mr. Grant.

Lou Grant:
I hate spunk.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm
Deb F wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am After allowing myself to be "paginated" last week, on shore--100%. Sorry to see so much of the country baking this weekend--we are somewhat used to the heat and humidity in Hilton Head but, even for us, this week was like being in an oven. Stay hydrated, gang. Work in a water between margaritas!
I, too was paginated last week. I felt sure that there was more to it, but did not find the extra step. I should have remembered to look at atomic numbers as well as symbols. My husband and I were planning to be at Hilton Head this weekend to visit his cousin, but had to cancel our plans due to his (my husband) falling ill. If we had actually made it there, I would have tried to look you up.
I should have known--it didn't have that 100% feel. Always makes total sense when you see the answer. Sorry about your cancelled plans. If you'd like to feel anything positive about missing out on your trip--the "feels like" temps this week have exceeded 100 so it would not have been a refreshing time where you could really enjoy the beautiful outdoors we have to offer. Next time!!
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

I was definitely off the boat but didn’t quite make it to shore. Second week in a row I couldn’t figure out the order of the letters from the grid. At least last week I figured out “solution” was the correct solution. This week however, I couldn’t see “gutsy” and only saw “gusty”. What put it in the order for “gutsy”? Still not seeing it. Maybe printing it out is the best thing to do.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.