"Three by Three" - November 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved with a little help from a friend.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Back on dry land (after my disastrous ship wreck last week)!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FINALLY on page two so all of us at sea can start to moan…. I mean, what the what????

I have a ton of thoughts, so many that I think I must have all the pieces and methods somewhere on this scribbly sheet. If anyone has time to hear me out to direct my efforts (or if anyone wants to team up and compare notes) I’d be grateful! I didn’t get last week’s so I’m starting to doubt my fitness for this game. : (

I’m worried that my lack of 1A may keep me from something obvious to others (?)

EDIT: I'm covered for help right now... not looking at any nudges yet, as I may be working alongside some experts soon.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Joining @HeadinHome to moan.....
Cynthia
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Visiting the parents this weekend so just as well that this puzzle is impenetrable to me.

Have a good weekend everyone.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Though I took a big nudge, so I won’t enter for the mug.

Very cool!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Pardon my French, but WTF?
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved and submitted.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

If any Muggles are interested in a brainstorming session, let's meet up this evening on the Muggle Zoom Room! I am getting nowhere, and even one A-team Muggle who is fluent in French is stumped.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. This one made a CLOWN of me. Isaac even made me tell a joke before he'd give me a drink. But it's always good to drink with friends, especially when they help dump you into the tender and head for shore. I think Mike and Matt are starting to play hardball.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Eckless wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am After struggling with this one yesterday, it all came into place this morning in my head while walking the dog. I love when that happens. Puzzle gets a thumbs up!
At sea. I need to take a walk. I just read an article that states that the simple act of walking stimulates creativity!
Thank you for underscoring the point. 🥾🥾
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I went 0 for 2 last week, and am flummoxed by this one as well. I can't wait for Matt's Week 1 just to (hopefully) get back some self-confidence.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 am If any Muggles are interested in a brainstorming session, let's meet up this evening on the Muggle Zoom Room! I am getting nowhere, and even one A-team Muggle who is fluent in 1A is stumped.
What time? Sounds like a good idea.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I long for the days four or five years ago when we just had to look for VW in the theme answers to get Volkswagen as the contest answer.

Actually I only started last year so I never had a chance to submit when they were that easy.

Staring at this one...
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I think I'm further along than most people. I'm past the point where you need to know 1A. I feel like I've put together a jigsaw puzzle, but the picture only half matches what's on the box and I can't figure out what I did wrong. I think I've tried all possible ways, but obviously I haven't.

Edit: I'm on shore now. I went down 2 rabbit holes which look from the outside exactly like the correct one.
Last edited by Eric Porter on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Sorry people but IMHO this is tougher than a 3. Only five have rated it. C’mon. Vent your frustration. Tap a star.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 am If any Muggles are interested in a brainstorming session, let's meet up this evening on the Muggle Zoom Room! I am getting nowhere, and even one A-team Muggle who is fluent in 1A is stumped.
What time? Sounds like a good idea.
Ditto that... 8pm EST would be grand for me. I'll have eaten and had at least one glass of wine by then.
The other Wendy. :roll:
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I’ve not a clue. I thought I had a starting point but have been floundering aimlessly. I’ll take a brisk walk, but I am doubtful that it will help.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Friends, we will be meeting at 5 p.m. Eastern Time today on the Muggle Zoom Room. Please join us: the more the merrier as we try to regain our Meta Mojo!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Barney

Post by Barney »

The blog gives useful pointers …. for when to abandon (actually stay on) the ship.