"Trick or Treat" - October 29, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:02 pm
I think I can safely post on page 2 now... @Bob cruise director was this a birthday gift? Best gift ever!

And while I think we might be on to something, right now we are rowing with one oar.
I was also waiting for page 2, to also thank our benefactor for this group gift!

And to say I'm totally at sea.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Finished the grid yesterday. So, did FB not consult with the WSJ about using the name Meta for commercial purposes, or is our Muggle working capital fund about to be replenished in perpetuity?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Abide wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:11 pm If you are nibbling around the edges on this toughie like me, this special message will probably cheer you up!
What a perfect week for this! I certainly needed the extra encouragement.

Last week made one full year of consecutive WSJ solves for me. I was afraid to mention it lest it jinx me this week. But I was starting to worry that the jinx was in, just from thinking about it.

Then late last night, as I took one last look before going to sleep, I noticed something. Made a note so I wouldn't forget it by morning. And I've now followed that bunny all the way to shore.

Definitely a trick and a treat. Happy Halloween all!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Waiting for page 2 to say I'm at sea.
Cynthia
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Me too. Waiting for page two. Can't see a thing. Must really be a toughie with so few posts by the second day! Love the message from "Isaac" . Who told him about us?
Gman

Post by Gman »

At sea. The Isaac cameo made my day, though! Another round, bartender.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

But, even with Ted Lange's encouragement (is that cool, or what?), I needed a nudge, so I won't enter for the mug.

BTW, I looked up Ted L. last night. What an accomplished man! I'd love to see him as Falstaff or some other at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Abide wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:11 pm If you are nibbling around the edges on this toughie like me, this special message will probably cheer you up!
At the risk of sounding like a screaming fangirl, OMG! This is so cool!!! I just want to hug him.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
zach

Post by zach »

I am lost at sea. Got a kick out of the Cameo video though!

I aim to have this solved before I hear the puzzle’s title on Sunday evening!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I think there’s an obvious candidate for an honorary mug this week! Five letters, beginning with I! Abide, how did you arrange that? What a shot in the arm for all of us! uh…. I mean…
Kas

Post by Kas »

Loving the cameo!!! Liking the grid. Hating the Meta. Maybe it'll come to me...
Miki

Post by Miki »

Got it!
Abide

Post by Abide »

SReh26 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:49 am Abide, how did you arrange that?
Just a little Muggle magic, with help from some co-conspirators. Script was 50% DrTom, 50% Isaac.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Lost at sea here too. I’ve had to leave Isaac and the BIG Halloween party going on in the bar. Getting too wild in there for me now.
Back to the stern garden for safety.
F9F3A366-001B-4E6F-A7F2-B5FD591F057C.jpeg
Looks like a quieter party here- come on back!

My garden girl- Carrie Underwood loves Halloween. She is named thus because she has “wood under her”- built upon a cedar post sunk a foot into the ground.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Prognosis negative for me this week.
Toby

Post by Toby »

As I feared, the answer I had, while I can justify it, was not correct. I have it now, for sure (?), but as was the case in the past when I made my own Halloween costumes, there seem to be some pieces left over. I just heard the MGWCC was postponed. I'm glad...I think my brain needs a break.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Solved the grid, watched the video when it was just a link in Abide's post, and have been paddling around in my new inflatable kayak ever since.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:02 pm The title to this week's contest is "Trick or Treat " by Mike Shenk

The answer to this week's contest is a Halloween costume choice

Good luck with the grid and the meta

WSJCC Trick or Treat Excel
Perfect Cameo! Loved it!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Totally Lost At Sea! I wasn't even going to check the forum this morning because I assumed the posts would already fill 7 pages. I was shocked to see that we are only on page 2, but it made me feel better about not having a clue.

In other news, the fundraising luncheon that has consumed most of my time lately was held yesterday and was a huge success. Every speaker totally nailed it and drove home the importance of our mission. Plus we had the best attendance percentage ever!

Even better news: Granddaughter and her parents arrive tomorrow for a one-day stopover before heading on to visit the other grandparents. I've got to get busy adding some Halloween surprises to the fairy garden! Mike's meta will have to wait.
Sara
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Loved Isaac's cameo, and I'm definitely hanging with him on this one. Think I'm on my third drink. No clue yet at all.