"You'll Never Solve This One" - October 21, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Had 6/7ths of the letters and decided it needed a further step because… what word begins with”MW”? Given the season it is a fun meta! I hope a Muggle wins the mwahaha mug!
One world. One planet. One future.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Huh! I had it and didn't know it. Just like Sharkcicles! Until later, good luck, Muggles.
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

I can't believe I actually had the answer but didn't think it was right, so I didn't bother submitting! Oh well, on to next week. Kudos to everyone out there who solved it!!
technohumanistteach

Post by technohumanistteach »

"Ack" was what tripped me up. For "Sorry to hear that" I had "sh", took the "a" from "ash", and submitted a big, sloppy kiss "Mwaaaah".
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

I had (H)OOPS for 'sorry to hear that' and (H)ACK for 'big mistake', but I felt these two were a little iffy. Fortunately they share the critical letter, so I stumbled to the correct answer!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Does submitting the correct answer with an exclamation point count? My logic:

1. The answer is an exclamation. Therefore, it requires an exclamation point.

2. It was more fun to submit it that way. :D
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Almost had this and knew I was on the right track. Bah and ack tripped me up but also couldn’t see anything that would make sense out of the letters I had. Nice meta!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

TeaJenny wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 am Does submitting the correct answer with an exclamation point count? My logic:

I'm sure they'd see that you obviously figured out the correct answer, whether there's an exclamation point or not.

If they weren't too busy sending me an email to say that I'd finally won the mug, that is! Mwahaha!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Count me in the Bwa-ha-ha camp. After finding OOPS in HOOPS, the next thing I saw was AHA in BAHA, to match with Surprise. So I thought of Dilbert, and when I needed BAH to match up with Bedamned, I just used BAHA twice. Didn't even see the "boo" in Boom.
Cynthia
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

HunterX wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:24 am
TeaJenny wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 am Does submitting the correct answer with an exclamation point count? My logic:

I'm sure they'd see that you obviously figured out the correct answer, whether there's an exclamation point or not.

If they weren't too busy sending me an email to say that I'd finally won the mug, that is! Mwahaha!
Congratulations!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

TeaJenny wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 am

Congratulations!
Too soon! The email hasn't arrived yet. I know it will... someday.... after all the many answers I submitted.... it just HAS to be this week.... (Pleeeeease....)
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Just didn't have time to pull this one together. Too busy working on final details for the fundraising luncheon I mentioned last week. I found BOOM,
WICK, HACK, BARR and HOOPS, but I couldn't decide if ick or ack worked better for "when something is disgusting". Like @Plymouthrock, I wanted Oh No to work with ONHOT, for "when someone suddenly shares unpleasant news" but knew that wasn't up to Matt's standards. I'm blaming this miss on FLS - Fundraising Luncheon Spreadsheet-itis.
Sara
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

For those who aren't into pulp villains: Evil Laughter (Wikipedia)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Here's another spoiler...

Will's Pandora this week has a clue that says "Let me think" and it is a 3 letter answer, HMM of course.

Isn't coincidence just the darndest thing.
coincide.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

HunterX wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:29 am
TeaJenny wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 am

Congratulations!
Too soon! The email hasn't arrived yet. I know it will... someday.... after all the many answers I submitted.... it just HAS to be this week.... (Pleeeeease....)
Here's hoping this is the week!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Just lobbying for a second acceptable answer.
Attachments
Bwahaha.png
Cynthia
JJD

Post by JJD »

Early on, I read the Theme as a clickbait headline, which seemed to fit my understanding of Matt’s sense of humor.
I found the BOOm first because I made a Halloween connection with it, except I got 2 letters from ONHOT = ONO + HT. (ONO being a common grid answer.)
[now I realize that the inelegance of the 5-letter HOOPS led me to think another 5 letter grid entry would be used. I’d definitely say ONO instead of ACK on hearing unpleasant news from someone.]
And then I anagrammed the resulting 8 letters to WHAT A HAM!”, which would be a fitting reply to the clickbait theme, and Ham being a synonym for Show Off, and clearly this Theme was showing off about how clever it is.

I’m very satisfied with the “aha” feeling I got in finding the correct mechanism. And my ‘alternate’ answer.
Last edited by JJD on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Me after receiving Mike Miller's email today (has not happened yet, but if it happens....)
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

Hmm...I figured out 6 out of 7 fairly quick, bounced back and forth between ACK and upside down OHNO. Couldn't figure out an "exclamation" with either combo. Maybe sour grapes, but not convinced that "MWAHAHA" is a legit word. But then again many of you got it so, yeah, I guess it's sour grapes.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

FatJack wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:31 am Hmm...I figured out 6 out of 7 fairly quick, bounced back and forth between ACK and upside down OHNO. Couldn't figure out an "exclamation" with either combo. Maybe sour grapes, but not convinced that "MWAHAHA" is a legit word. But then again many of you got it so, yeah, I guess it's sour grapes.
I checked with Mr. G on a few of these, just to make sure theme answers were consistent with clues. And “mwahaha” was listed in some online dictionaries.