"AP Chemistry" - July 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Diana

Post by Diana »

I typed up a big thing about how I was ashore, but now I don't see it. I guess I didn't hit the right button. Not that anyone cares. Really.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Diana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:22 pm I typed up a big thing about how I was ashore, but now I don't see it. I guess I didn't hit the right button. Not that anyone cares. Really.
Oh, that's terrible... But we do care! Summary?
Diana

Post by Diana »

I can't tell you until 9:00 PDT. It sounds like you went the same path I did though. Think we have the same answer. The same right answer.

My big spiel was about how it came to me in the car. But I didn't have all the right strokes (You know like swim strokes - because we're swimming to shore. And other stuff like that.) And I chuckled at my cleverness. But then I came back to look at board hours later and I apparently hadn't successfully posted. So I didn't get counted on the shore list. And no one chuckled at my cleverness.

And I typed something else about how when I was a noob and tried to beat Barb K to the answer at 9:00 PDT or PST, to exclaim the answer, she'd always beat me. Anyway, it was some big long drawn out thing. Let's post our answer together in 10 minutes sharp, Laura. Okay?
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ha! I'll try! Synchronizing* my watch...

*as in swimming :-)
BethA

Post by BethA »

Diana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:22 pm I typed up a big thing about how I was ashore, but now I don't see it. I guess I didn't hit the right button. Not that anyone cares. Really.
We care!
Diana

Post by Diana »

SOLUTION
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm typing this before I see the official answer, so it's possible that I'm wrong. But the answer I came up with was "solution" which of course is a great fit with the title.

I went through the process (hopefully familiar to most) of finding the AP-words, connecting them with elements of the periodic table, getting the atomic weights, pulling the corresponding numbered boxes from the grid, and... otiuosln. nutlisoo. niustolo. I couldn't figure out an order to read them in that made sense, and I'm seriously bad at anagrams. At one point I considered submitting solo unit. I even tried an anagram generator but I must have mistyped because I didn't get anything useful. Finally, I tried it again, and I saw... solution! That must be it!

But why? I finally figured out that if I take the letters in columns from left to right, I get the right order. And I eventually thought that maybe that had something to do with increasing numbers of electrons in the columns of the periodic table? Still not sure.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Okay, thanks Beth and Laura for letting me post first. I was kind of distracted by that Sunflower. But I kept my eye on the clock. My life has meaning now despite there being no mug. There never is.
Inca

Post by Inca »

OOOH, I was supposed to look at it column-wise. Well no wonder I didn't see that. I never highlight anything so that didn't pop for me. Maybe it's time to get a highlighter. But since I do the puzzle online, I won't use it anyway. Don't want to mess up my monitor.
Diana

Post by Diana »

I only got N, Sn, Cl, P, S, and Cr and came up with UNSUOL. So I figured it was "Solution" and didn't suss out the others because I was had to leave the house, but I was confident.

And I can honestly state I needed no Google for this. (Because one of my table placemats is of the Periodic Table.)
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Good news for me is that I had a “revelation” on Saturday that indicated to me that I had submitted the incorrect answer.
Bad news is that even reading the “solution” on the Monday puzzle makes no sense to me either.
Help?
Konnie
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Well, I got it, and Dom didn’t; that’s the first time that has happened in a loooong time. And not printing it out is probably why I didn’t feel 100% confident. I just anagrammed the letters to get the “solution”. As shown on the Crossword Fiend write-up, the letters are in order from left to right, which I didn’t see. That’s some crackerjack construction!
https://crosswordfiend.com/2019/07/14/w ... y-12-2019/
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Inca wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 am OOOH, I was supposed to look at it column-wise. Well no wonder I didn't see that. I never highlight anything so that didn't pop for me. Maybe it's time to get a highlighter. But since I do the puzzle online, I won't use it anyway. Don't want to mess up my monitor.
(LOL at "Don't want to mess up my monitor.")
It often does help. If you're doing the puzzle online you can change from pen to pencil (lower left) and retype the letters or entries you want to stand out a little. I do this, it's not a big difference but it's visible. But everything has to be in pen in order to submit online, for some reason.

(It may be that the only reason for columns is just because they never do that. Keep us on our toes!)
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

So it turns out that I did all of the initial steps correctly, but failed to see the final one - how the apparently nonsensical letters formed a word when viewed on the grid. Oh, well.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Diana wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:09 am I only got N, Sn, Cl, P, S, and Cr and came up with UNSUOL. So I figured it was "Solution" and didn't suss out the others because I was had to leave the house, but I was confident.

And I can honestly state I needed no Google for this. (Because one of my table placemats is of the Periodic Table.)
A friend gave us the periodic table of fishes. And she has a few others - periodic table of vegetables, and chocolates, and...

The sunflower pic is from 2 years ago, but is one of my favorites because it makes me feel like I might be a hobbit.

Always great to hear from you! And there are some others I miss from before, too!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I always had a weird affinity for the Periodic Table. One thing I noticed early in my science classes was that I could spell out my name in monotonically non-decreasing atomic numbers -- 13, 14, 16, 22 (Aluminum, Silicon, Sulfur, Titanium, or Al Si-s-ti). I spent most of every class after that trying to make up nonsense sentences using just the symbols of elements, while everyone else was...um...stud-y-ing? Did I pronounce that correctly?
Emmaa

Post by Emmaa »

I found BURNERS x 2 and PIPETTES x 2 nicely tucked in the 4 quadrants of the grid, but could not find the association with many Ts and T STOPS. I did feel teased, if not T’d off a bit. I did see beakers, chemistry, chemicals and hoods, but didn’t think these answers were so impressively placed on the grid. Still, I am left wondering about the T stops, too.

I never found a “SOLUTION.” This Newbe is feeling a bit meta-defeated after filling the grid, yet apparently off shore.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I see I'm not the only one who didn't find all of the elements. I really think this puzzle needed to have starred answers or tell us the number of letters in the answer.
On my first pass I only had 6 of the 8 because they were obviously missing a word.
On my next pass I realized that it was "trash heap". The word trash can refer by itself to a pile of garbage, so I'm a little unhappy about that one.
I tried unscrambling, etc, but didn't see anything. I looked at all of the red herrings. Recipe, pasta sauce, & Simpsons are all in an A & D. Tonka is a toy company and intersects that clue.
There are 7 three letter grid entries with duplicate letters.
After going to the MMMM puzzle site, I realized that it must be simply going from element -> atomic number -> grid. I looked again and saw that it looked like solution. I needed an 'S' and saw that 17 had an 'S' and would make 'clap'.
I then realized that it must be "thunder clap" and submitted 'solution'.

I've lived in the US my whole life and I've never heard of "thunder clap" as a metaphor for a shocking surprise. I thought it was simply 'thunder' because "stealing someone's thunder" can mean to spoil a big surprise. Did anyone else miss thunder clap?
markhr

Post by markhr »

I got INSUOTOL using the grid order of the theme words, and finally saw it could be unscrambled to SOLUTION. I never thought of reading the "chemical" grid entries left to right. Probably should have printed and highlighted. Well, I may have gotten in using the side door, but it still counts.
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

Was going to guess either "elements" or periodic table" before a little more work. Those are probably popular wrong answers.