"Take Five" - October 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

On shore on this rainy day in Ohio…. I wish I was on a real beach! Nice when it finally clicks!
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

On shore! This one just fell into place for me. Woo hoo.
Julie
joevdz

Post by joevdz »

Solved, but only after a uttering a number of four letter words.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:33 pm Love me some Patrick Berry! A tricky one!
Oh, BTW, I had dinner with my nephew last night and he concurs with Will P that "no one" in academia says "essay test" anymore.
@Wendy Walker do they not use that term because 1) no one writes essays any more during a test or 2) they have another term for it?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Completed grid pretty quickly. Trying to decipher what I need to do next after multiple attempts. Hmmmm.....on the ship for now...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:22 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:33 pm Love me some Patrick Berry! A tricky one!
Oh, BTW, I had dinner with my nephew last night and he concurs with Will P that "no one" in academia says "essay test" anymore.
@Wendy Walker do they not use that term because 1) no one writes essays any more during a test or 2) they have another term for it?
Per Cole, they don't really distinguish types of tests; they just call it "writing." He provided a few examples from his Ethics class, but far more interesting was his vivid account of 21st-century undergraduate life!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 pm
Per Cole, they don't really distinguish types of tests; they just call it "writing." He provided a few examples from his Ethics class, but far more interesting was his vivid account of 21st-century undergraduate life!
Is the partying any different than 20th century undergraduate life?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

Hello! Didn't get to look at the puzzle until today. I've been ashore since early this morning, but somehow didn't manage to check in w/ the Muggles. I always enjoy a Patrick Berry one. I think my brain skews more ShenkBerry (TM) than Gaffney, though I get huge satisfaction in unlocking one of Matt's metas.

regards from unseasonably warm Philly...where the Flyers season opens tonight!
stmv

Post by stmv »

stmv wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:09 pm On shore. It took me way too long to see what was going on here, but a satisfying click once I got there.
I'd like to criticize my own post. I know from bitter experience how annoying it is when "page 1" types crow about how easy a puzzle is, when a lot of people are finding it to be quite tricky, or maybe impossible. When I wrote that post I was hubristically caught up being annoyed with myself that I had gone down a rabbit hole and had to put the puzzle down for a while before being suddenly struck by the right idea, which seemed self-evident in 20/20 hindsight, and then being surprised that my post was landing on page one (I was sure that it would be on page 2 or 3 by that point). So for those of your struggling with this one, you may be a bit comforted to know that a page-one keener like me also struggled with it. Mea culpa.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Just got home from a little trip. Cracked open the real paper. Solved the meta and enjoyed it. Thank you PB!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good evening muggles. Sorry for the last Friday report but I have been working with the concrete guys and reassembling my perimeter drain system. Tiring work. In the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon IV "I am getting too old for this [expletive deleted]

And we have 8 on the ship and 86 n the shore.

Full report tomorrow.

Hope I can stay awake for the Red Sox.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Count me on the ship with Isaac! I didn’t start the puzzle until today ( was celebrating my birthday yesterday) and, though I’ve been staring at it for a while, nothing is jumping out. Maybe a glass of wine will help!
Abide

Post by Abide »

I'll take Famous TV Ships for $800, Alex...
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This one took me a while, but on shore.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Abide wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:36 pm I'll take Famous TV Ships for $800, Alex...
What's ... ummm... Isaac? [Eyebrows up. Flash lopsided smile. Show relief. Repeat for weeks on end.]
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Still on the ship, sunning on the Lido deck.
Richard

Post by Richard »

SReh26 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:20 pm Still on the ship, sunning on the Lido deck.
I am with you. Nice and sunny here. I think this one is beyond me.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Is the partying any different than 20th century undergraduate life?
My wife, a dean, still uses the term “essay test.” My daughter, a college junior does not. As far as parting goes, my wife says,“carry on.” My daughter says, “Me. I don’t party.”
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:07 pm Good evening muggles. Sorry for the last Friday report but I have been working with the concrete guys and reassembling my perimeter drain system. Tiring work. In the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon IV "I am getting too old for this [expletive deleted]

And we have 8 on the ship and 86 n the shore.

Full report tomorrow.

Hope I can stay awake for the Red Sox.
This "Cap'n" is still on the ship Bob.

Here's hoping that Chris Sale will have a better night than his last outing!

Edit: Please disregard my earlier post @Bob cruise director. A little post-enlightenment magic, and I am safely ashore!

Now I can give the Red Sox my undivided attention!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:21 pm Page one!!!!!

I'm pretty much always a fan of Patrick's puzzles, when I have the time to do them. Rows Gardens in particular are great, but they take a little while.

On the beach, the correct beach this week, 100%.
I like the Rows Gardens, too - seems like we are due for one soon from WSJ
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com