"Take Five" - October 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore.

Team finished the grid pretty quickly. Dad here found the mechanism quickly. So no exploring rabbit holes this week.

Nice, satisfying puzzle.

Unlike last week's... grumble grumble... mechanism too obvious... grumble grumble... answer ambiguous... grumble grumble... alternate answers...

What? Me? Muttering something? Why no. Just clearing my throat.
femullen

Post by femullen »

mntlblok wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:41 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am This meta had made me a wreck
While sitting with Isaac on deck.
Then the daughter came by
With a much keener eye:
Solved by the girl from Quebec.

Team effort, but @puzzled saw the key step. High fives to her.

So, Equipe Canuck are ashore. And we really are. We're down at the tiki bar at a beach on Hilton Head. We'll have rum and enough fruit to keep off the scurvy.
Thinkin you must be there during prime sand gnat season!
The key is to not allow your blood alcohol level to fall to a dangerous low.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore, 100%, but had to back-solve one bit. Kinda have a quibble with one minor matter.

ALs
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach! Had a great aha moment, and then got slightly confused. But now I'm okay with it. Gonna have a hazy IPA here in the sand.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Finally got it and sent it in. Thank you, Mr.Berry, for a fun puzzle.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On the ship. Again.

I was out of TOWN for the long weekend and lost track of what day it was. The realization that it was Thursday evening SENt me running to the computer. Alas, all my ideas havd been duDS. No SOLutions to be found yet, just agITAted ponderings.This might be going down to the wIRE on Sunday, since I'm spending Saturday and some of Sunday at Open House Chicago.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Tossing and turning from 0500 getting excited about futile strategies but still wandering around in circles on the poop deck here.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

femullen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:14 pm
mntlblok wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:41 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am This meta had made me a wreck
While sitting with Isaac on deck.
Then the daughter came by
With a much keener eye:
Solved by the girl from Quebec.

Team effort, but @puzzled saw the key step. High fives to her.

So, Equipe Canuck are ashore. And we really are. We're down at the tiki bar at a beach on Hilton Head. We'll have rum and enough fruit to keep off the scurvy.
Thinkin you must be there during prime sand gnat season!
The key is to not allow your blood alcohol level to fall to a dangerous low.
Baby oil clogs up their mouth parts.
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

On shore and enjoying the waxing crescent moon over NYC!
Kas

Post by Kas »

On shore! And I have to say, this may be my favorite Meta of all time. It’s a dead on,“Certain Answer.”
Colin

Post by Colin »

Complete the grid… Check!
Some thoughts for the meta… Check!
Head on pillow… Check!

… in my port cabin, that is. Lulled to sleep by the gentle swell and one too many martinis. Tomorrow is another day!
One world. One planet. One future.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Onshore and answer sent in to the WSJ powers that be! Definitely felt the “AHA” this week. Solved it while hubby was driving us to visit friends and I was a passenger. I was in the same car seat as last year when I solved another meta. Coincidence? I don’t think so! 🤔
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
LivinaDogsLife

Post by LivinaDogsLife »

Perhaps I’d be a fan of Patrick’s if I wasn’t stuck on an imaginary barstool with Isaac chuckling next to me. I mean I like the guy but I’d rather have an Aha than Mai Thai right now. I’m sure I’ll smile on Monday morning.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Woke up, took a fresh look and there it was. We’ve all had that moment I think and this was the first in a while where I worked really hard at it for a couple days with nothing and then boom. So wild how that happens. Not even really that many rabbit holes though there are a few. I agree with everyone else it’s great to see another PB puzzle and this one did not disappoint in any way. Thanks Patrick!!

Stay well all
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Ashore - tough but enjoyable puzzle for me
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore with a nudge so no mug for me.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

So far, I got nuthin’.
And Saturday’s are for college football! (Gig ‘Em! 👍🏼)
Maybe tomorrow.
Konnie
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Still at sea. I was hoping for the morning enlightenment, but nothing yet.
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

As I lazed in the life boat, my hand trailing in the warm sea water, I closed my eyes to feel the sun bathe my face. I dreamt of the days spent with Patrick Berry, constructor extraordinaire and his wickedly clever puzzles. Suddenly there came a soft crunch as the life boat hit the sandy coast. i opened my eyes and saw the faces of my many friends gathered around me. I am ashore, I realized with relief, I am ashore.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

A shore 🏖
After spending a ridiculous amount of time on this over 2 days while hanging out with Isaac, I went back to something I did earlier and saw the light! Great “aha” moment! Now I’ve got to get ready for the grandkids ( ages 2.5 and 1) who are coming up for the week so I can babysit!