"Seeking Answers" - October 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
tiagomeunome

Post by tiagomeunome »

been looking at this grid for a couple of days and it's just not clicking, lost at sea unfortunately :(
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

My posting problems with long messages continues. I have sent the error message to Brian and Joe. Also there has been something funky going on with the PM's. I get notifications of PM's but they are not there.

Anyway we have 11 on the ship and 190 on the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:56 am Good morning muggles

My posting problems with long messages continues. I have sent the error message to Brian and Joe. Also there has been something funky going on with the PM's. I get notifications of PM's but they are not there.

Yes, there must be something up with PMs… I just received a PM that was sent to me Friday afternoon!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ergcat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:59 am

Yes, there must be something up with PMs… I just received a PM that was sent to me Friday afternoon!
I think it's the emailed notifications of PMs that are being delayed (and repeatedly sent hours & days later) rather than the PMs, themselves.

If anticipating a PM, do not rely on emailed notifications to alert you until the issue is corrected. Check this website.

UPDATE: This issue has been reported by several muggles (THANK YOU!) and will be addressed this week.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

tiagomeunome wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:35 am been looking at this grid for a couple of days and it's just not clicking, lost at sea unfortunately :(
add me to the ship as well. been staring at the finished grid for days on this end as well and i got nada.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:07 pm
Ergcat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:59 am

I think it's the emailed notifications of PMs that are being delayed (and repeatedly sent hours & days later) rather than the PMs, themselves.

If anticipating a PM, do not rely on emailed notifications to alert you until the issue is corrected. Check this website.
Exactly.
AnnieMac

Post by AnnieMac »

Chiming in late but happily ashore, although I will say that my son came up with a reasonable alternative answer. Heading to a brewery later, so I’ll celebrate there with a strong Belgian (the fermented type, not a muscular European :-)).
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Ashore, after being shoved there while standing in quarter-inch deep waters.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

After floating offshore for a couple of days, due to uncertainty about my answer, I am on shore with my answer verified by one of the experts (thanks @Wendy Walker!!).

Off to see a live performance of The Book Club Play by Karen Zacarias at the Indiana Repertory Theatre in Indianapolis. I'm glad I won't be distracted by my mind wandering to the meta.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! Not my favorite, but I appreciate the creativity.
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Pleasant solve.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore after receiving some reassurance.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On shore. Confirmed my work with a couple of fellow muggles.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore, finally and I think.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Also lost at sea, where do I go for help? I am new to the forum.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Started the meta solve on Friday and got waylaid by family obligations (where do they get off??) Just looking at it now and hoping for some really quick inspiration while nursing a Lambic with Isaac.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Threw myself over the side and Jabberwocked my way through the wabe to the slithy beach.

All is mimsy here.

No walruses and no oysters either.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore with around 85% confidence. Later start this week, but fun grid and then I think I get where the theme is leading me.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

haydendog wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:28 pm Also lost at sea, where do I go for help? I am new to the forum.
Check out a couple of the sub forums under Welcome Aboard that you'll find in the FAQs - Community / Solving Resources

Hints for Solving

Guidance on Hints/Nudges
Where you'll find this (and much more)
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am Some unofficial guidance on hints - which we call nudges

1) Make an attempt. Most won't give nudges until Saturday
2) Nudges are done in private messages. Usually asking for a nudge may be done here but you should get a private message from someone.
3) When you have made contact, explain all the paths you have taken (we call them rabbit holes). You may get responses that you are warm or not or general guidance.
4) Under Board Index/Come Aboard/FAQ Community - Solving Resources there are both suggestions for solving metas in general as well as all the past WSJ contests and their answers.
5) Most muggles who get more than a gentle nudge may claim that they are on shore (solved) although some also stay on the ship (counted as unsolved) but won't submit to the WSJ - however all this is a personal decision.