"Urban Shift" - October 1, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

billum wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:27 pm Ashore (along with Jim and Anita). Fun!
Is it safe to assume that you are the young man on the left in the picture?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:27 pm Made it to shore. The cabana boy is playing some nice reggae tunes on his ukulele. Coming home to Florida tomorrow. Me, not the cabana boy.
does that mean that you are leaving the cabana boy in Seattle - otherwise how would you know what tunes he was playing on his ukulele?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:19 pm Count me on the shore. I had to sit on it and come back. When I did, the answer was very apparent. I'll take a tall glass of Nice Quiet Weekend.
Good. I hope that happens to me. Puzzle in the other room. Will looked it again in a little bit.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 pm Popping out of lurkdom to say that this is probably the first meta that my dad, age 87, has solved on his own! I introduced him to metas a couple of years ago, and now he does the grids most Thursdays but has little luck (or patience) with the metas. He tries for about a minute and then quits, and when I try to explain them he generally says "No way; glad I didn't waste my time on it." On a few easier ones, I've managed to nudge him a little to the solution. But today he solved before I did! He is submitting the answer as I type, and said he may frame the puzzle :-D
That's great. I hope he wins the mug.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Tina wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:39 pm On shore after making it way harder than I had to. Off to start my colonoscopy prep now. Hope everyone's evening is more fun than mine promises to be! :(
Sympathies
Tomgebhard

Post by Tomgebhard »

Ashore! Make mine an absolut and tonic with a twist!
DannyCincinnnati

Post by DannyCincinnnati »

On shore! Guinness me!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:32 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:27 pm Made it to shore. The cabana boy is playing some nice reggae tunes on his ukulele. Coming home to Florida tomorrow. Me, not the cabana boy.
does that mean that you are leaving the cabana boy in Seattle - otherwise how would you know what tunes he was playing on his ukulele?
Bob, nobody's in Seattle. I’m currently in Portland, OR and the cabana boy is a state of mind unto himself. You can find him wherever the beach breezes blow, and the torch flames flicker at the tiki bar.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ashore. I'll have a vodka tonic with a twist of lime-- hold the vodka; hold the tonic and loop the twist around my finger. It's been that kind of day....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:49 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 pm Popping out of lurkdom to say that this is probably the first meta that my dad, age 87, has solved on his own! I introduced him to metas a couple of years ago, and now he does the grids most Thursdays but has little luck (or patience) with the metas. He tries for about a minute and then quits, and when I try to explain them he generally says "No way; glad I didn't waste my time on it." On a few easier ones, I've managed to nudge him a little to the solution. But today he solved before I did! He is submitting the answer as I type, and said he may frame the puzzle :-D
That's great. I hope he wins the mug.
That would either make me incredibly happy or incredibly envious.
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore! A quick solve for me, followed by a cold Coke Zero. (I overindulged on sangria last night.)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Meg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:12 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:32 pm
Bob, nobody's in Seattle. I’m currently in Portland, OR and the cabana boy is a state of mind unto himself. You can find him wherever the beach breezes blow, and the torch flames flicker at the tiki bar.
Well, not now -- but I was in Seattle last week and mentioned it so perhaps therein lies the confusion --
You know how it goes for those of us in the Northeast -- anything west of the Mississippi is just a blurry lump! :D

"You can find him wherever the beach breezes blow, and the torch flames flicker at the tiki bar." Love this - like a poetic fairy tale!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Late start but I'm ashore. Sam Adams lager please!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

This grid kicked my rear. Isaac, I need a cushioned stool please.
steveb

Post by steveb »

On the beach, which I think will be more crowded than last week.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

On shore. 🏝
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Too many interruptions this afternoon. Will look at it tomorrow.
Heidi
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Cindy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:15 pm
Tina wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:39 pm On shore after making it way harder than I had to. Off to start my colonoscopy prep now. Hope everyone's evening is more fun than mine promises to be! :(
Just did that. Prep is better than it was five years ago.
I haven't found the prep gets any "better," just "easier" since you know what to expect and you say, "Yeah, gotta do it." At this point I mostly object to the instructions about avoiding whole grain foods, nuts, seeds, salads... all the stuff I eat!

And don't tell my kids I'm posting about colonoscopy prep. They'd make a snarky comment about how I must be older than they thought. It would be worse than when I talk about the music I like from 10 years ago. (We won't mention what happens when I say I'm listening to the Woodstock concert recordings...)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

🏖 Solved in under 15 minutes. A fun idea but I wish it had been a bit harder to suss out.