"Thorough Enough" - September 24, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Totally lost, no rescue in sight. Will reluctantly accept a nudge if anyone is willing.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Scot M

Post by Scot M »

I have one less T in my name than the previous poster, but would also like a nudge toward the solution. Thank you.
JJD

Post by JJD »

After exhausting every meta mechanic I can conceive, I’ve got 6D.
Would someone provide a gentle nudge?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

An early report as I will be channel surfing between the Patriot-Saints game and the Ryder Cup singles match. This may be - have the Ryder Cup on the computer and the Pats game on the TV - which will drive my wife absolutely nuts.

First a welcome to our newest muggles - ship4u, minou1808, drbdb and Scot M (and a preemptive apology to both Scot M and Scott M for future confusions).

One suggestion for our newest muggles is to go to Come Aboard/FAQs - Community/Guidance on Hints/Nudges
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=390
for the protocol to ask for nudges. Essentially it is to PM someone on shore with what you have done and where you need help

Quite a change from the last two weeks. We have 53 on the ship and 94 on the shore. Isaac has closed a couple of the tiki bars on the shore and opened the bars on the Lido deck. And Maine Marge has requested that any shipboard gardeners please deadhead some of the fall flowers.

New to the ships many bars since yesterday are

ladybird - who I mistakenly had on the shore but no problem, the tender drivers are more than willing to bring you back to the ship.
Cap'n Rick
Littlegreycells
minimuggle
HunterX
meowmiao71
Tom S
Bill Swerski 13
Susan G
Deb
whimsy
TheDeej
lbray
DebbieC
Begbie
seahawks seashanty
rosiegirl
eagle1279
katnahat
pookie
ship4u
minou1808
drbdb
Peter L
Scot M

And making it to the shore with varying levels of frustration are

Kay
Franklin
Prozach
ajk
Cindy N
livpolfan
mindle
Ben B and son
barney
Burak
Joe R
mikeB
BrennerTJ
Jennifer
Thurman8er
VanVeen
mlvilv
JaneGummy

Good luck and stay safe.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:40 am Good Saturday morning muggles.

First,-if any of my posts are more incoherent than normal it is because I have the Ryder Cup on one computer screen while I am posting WSJ status and figuring out the MGWCC. Whistling Straits looks like a great golf course but bring plenty of golf balls. But you probably can find a lot in the fescue. Would that I could hit the ball 300 yards even once.

Isaac has a big smile on his face this week as we have 28 on the ship and 77 on the shore. Pretzels and popcorn are free this week on the ship so he can keep the muggles happy.

And we welcome Nadine as our newest muggle

Keeping Isaac busy are (and Commodore, you are cut off for now)

Now back to the golf and Week 4
As there're free snacks, shall admit to being stuck in the ward room. Don't foresee that changing. :-(
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Finally got it! Thank you, Mr. Gaffney! A fun puzzle!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Lost At Sea. I've got nothin'! Kind of sad that my pitiful little solving streak is coming to an end this week!

On the flip side, the gorgeous weather here in NC has been a lovely respite from our often-extended Indian summer full of heat and humidity. However, I'm somewhat sad to see the summer draw to a close since the bird activity of the last several months has been so much fun to observe. We enjoyed watching a nest of baby Eastern phoebes on the crook of a downspout to the left of our screened porch and three consecutive broods in a nest of house finches in a similar location on the right side of that porch! I especially loved viewing all the bluebird activity this spring and summer with TWO broods born in the same nest box. From watching the nests being built, to sneaking a peak at the eggs when both parents flew away for a few moments, to seeing the juveniles shortly after they fledged, I felt privileged to be able to witness it all! I was so impressed by the devoted parents: the female building the nest with the male supplying pine straw; the female's commitment to incubating those eggs day and night, the constant flurry of both parents bringing food, with dad doing much of the hunting; dad's ever-vigilant supervision from nearby perches. Our only regret was that our "birdie cam" didn't capture any images of the fledglings leaving the nest, but it wasn't long before the juveniles were eating at our feeders. I believe the most amazing sight was watching juveniles from the first brood bring food for their new brothers and sisters in the second nest! Now the youngest juveniles have almost finished molting and are looking more like adults every day.
Sara
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Deb F wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:56 pm
Deb F wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:30 pm Like our Cruise Director, I've been immersed in Ryder Cup, so I'm very late in posting. It's clear to me that I am not in possession of "good crossword solver's thinking", certainly this week. Hanging with Isaac, happily, and not figuring on a beach side arrival this week.

Enjoy the weekend, Muggles.
I have never seen so many shots land in places that I am familiar with. And I have never seen so many impossible recovery shots either.

John Rahm made a bunch of unbelievable putts.

Singles tomorrow should be outstanding

Couldn’t agree more on all your comments, Bob. Love where we we ended the day. Enjoy the matches and let’s hope the 4 we need come easily with maybe another 4 for good measure. Deb
Spoilers!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Ashore with a little nudge. Really fun puzzle.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I too need a gentle nudge.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

I'm also still here with Isaac, wishing the many others on the ship good luck as they try to make it to shore.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

On shore thanks to a not so gentle shove from @boharr. Not submitting.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:51 am
First time I noticed that the sign has been changed to Moe's "Cavern"! Brilliant!
OMG! I never noticed that!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore with help reading the putt this week.
Preterosso

Post by Preterosso »

Ashore: thanks for keeping the dock open late into the afternoon!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Mixology

Serve in: a man's hat
Garnish: Mint sprig

How to make:
POUR following ingredients into shaker and STIR to incorporate honey.
1 2/3 fl oz Bacardi Carta Blanca light rum
5/6 fl oz St-Germain elderflower liqueur
5/6 fl oz Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
4 dash Angostura Aromatic Bitters
4 fresh Mint leaves
1 spoon Honey

SHAKE with ice and fine strain into chilled glass.

FLOAT a single plum.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Scot M

Post by Scot M »

Thanks to a kind (shoving) nudge, I am now on shore!
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore as of Friday AM. Not too much trouble with this one - total solving time under 20m.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
auee89

Post by auee89 »

I am ashore thanks to a violent shove of and off the boat. Will not be submitting this one.
Kevin
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am Good Sunday morning muggles

An early report as I will be channel surfing between the Patriot-Saints game and the Ryder Cup singles match. This may be - have the Ryder Cup on the computer and the Pats game on the TV - which will drive my wife absolutely nuts.

First a welcome to our newest muggles - ship4u, minou1808, drbdb and Scot M (and a preemptive apology to both Scot M and Scott M for future confusions).

One suggestion for our newest muggles is to go to Come Aboard/FAQs - Community/Guidance on Hints/Nudges
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=390
for the protocol to ask for nudges. Essentially it is to PM someone on shore with what you have done and where you need help

Quite a change from the last two weeks. We have 53 on the ship and 94 on the shore. Isaac has closed a couple of the tiki bars on the shore and opened the bars on the Lido deck. And Maine Marge has requested that any shipboard gardeners please deadhead some of the fall flowers.

New to the ships many bars since yesterday are

ladybird - who I mistakenly had on the shore but no problem, the tender drivers are more than willing to bring you back to the ship.
Cap'n Rick
Littlegreycells
minimuggle
HunterX
meowmiao71
Tom S
Bill Swerski 13
Susan G
Deb
whimsy
TheDeej
lbray