"He's Good" - July 5, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

CandyB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:22 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:01 pm
CandyB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:50 pm I am! Grew up in Beckley. Now I live in the Chicago burbs. What about you?
Life-long West Virginian living in Morgantown!
Awesome! I was born in Mon Gen.
Happy to see some 'near relatives'! I grew up in Uniontown, PA
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Tony S wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:54 am Though I haven't begun, the Sunday NY Times crossword "Hidden Tactics" appears to be a meta puzzle of some sort.
Not really a meta, but there is kind of a "game within the game." I do really wish it had been a true meta puzzle, since it was my turn to guest blog for Rex Parker, under my internet pseudonym, Donald McBrien 8-). I would have used that as a chance to hype the heck out of this site. As it was, I did get a mention in (using an alternative URL since I was trying to appeal to non-muggles), but so far no new members as a result. :?
Guy

Post by Guy »

He’s Good....too good! Still on the boat, I have drafted youngest son (appropriately named Isaac) for assistance, so there is yet hope.
Janet

Post by Janet »

For those of you on the ship, head to the lounge where Meghan Trainor will be singing "He's No Good for You". Almost scheduled Linda Ronstadt, but the title could be taken to refer to the muggles and not the rabbit!
Janet

Post by Janet »

More music, for our California muggles. "Shake Rattle and Roll." I hope you are all well. The Whittier Narrows earthquake in 1987 had me carefully stepping through rubble to exit my workplace. We had structural damage to the wall right under where I sat, so they sent us home. I turned on the radio in the car on the way home, and it was playing Shake Rattle and Roll.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

He may be good but the USNWT are GREAT!!!!!!!!!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Well, that was a much longer and more treacherous swim to shore than most of you had, but after hours (and I do mean hours) of staring blankly at the grid, things finally came together. Nice spending the weekend with you Isaac, but it's time for an umbrella drink on the beach!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Janet wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:54 pm More music, for our California muggles. "Shake Rattle and Roll." I hope you are all well. The Whittier Narrows earthquake in 1987 had me carefully stepping through rubble to exit my workplace. We had structural damage to the wall right under where I sat, so they sent us home. I turned on the radio in the car on the way home, and it was playing Shake Rattle and Roll.
The LA Times reported that before the Friday quake, there was a USO open mic night in Ridgecrest. One of the artists sang Jerry Lee Lewis' hit "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On", then the quake hit. He said he's not playing that song anymore! (Heidi)
Heidi
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I didn't report in last week, gang. Mostly out of depression from not getting EITHER the WSJ or the MGWCC. I was most upset about the MGWCC streak which was my all time high of 17.

I'm happy to report success this week in the WSJ...AND the MGWCC...AND the MMMM! A clean sweep! Beam me up, count me ashore, and play that funky music!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 3 keeping Isaac company for the week and 86 on the shore.

Good luck to a muggle winning the WSJ mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Tony S wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:54 am Though I haven't begun, the Sunday NY Times crossword "Hidden Tactics" appears to be a meta puzzle of some sort.
Not really a meta, but there is kind of a "game within the game." I do really wish it had been a true meta puzzle, since it was my turn to guest blog for Rex Parker, under my internet pseudonym, Donald McBrien 8-). I would have used that as a chance to hype the heck out of this site. As it was, I did get a mention in (using an alternative URL since I was trying to appeal to non-muggles), but so far no new members as a result. :?
It turned out not to be a meta at all. It was a clever construction, nonetheless, especially given that the creator is just 25 years old.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

A little late getting to the puzzle this busy weekend, but safely ashore. Happy post-Independence Day!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I got this one, so I suppose it was rather facile. Still I am delighted to have finally cracked one after several weeks of missing eminently solvable and a few "WHAT" kind of puzzles. If there are those who will say "oh this was too easy", please keep those comments in your head and let those of us who are not as adept bask in the glory of a solve.

I always manage to spend the rest of the week-end in a better mood if I have gotten the puzzle early (got it Friday afternoon so I guess that is early). I always manage to read too much into these things, oddly enough, this week I did not.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore at the 11th hour. Didn’t think I’d have time to get to it today but luck was with me. Now to get lucky with that mug.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

What’s the answer, please?
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

H G Wells. Check out the solution on the WSJ site. If you download the Monday puzzle you can see the Friday solution.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

FrancesY wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 am What’s the answer, please?
From the WSJ page...The contest answer is H.G. WELLS. The initials of each theme entry are also the initials of a famous writer whose surname is in the grid: E.B. WHITE, T.S. ELIOT, C.S. LEWIS, D.H. LAWRENCE and J.D. SALINGER. The first letters of those surnames spell WELLS, with the H.G. provided by the puzzle’s title
Konnie
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Thanks. I was having trouble getting into wsj site.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Well(s) for what it's worth, the map to An Alternate (nearby, but secluded?) shore would be ...

Grid answers provide initials of authors (check), Air Ace (aces are good in combat and poker) would provide AA >> AA Milne. Didn't feel like a very clear click, but it did click.

Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!