"Aftermath" - September 17, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Ashore again, and in record time probably. These are starting to be 'bimodal' to me in that I either get them immediately like this week and last or I give up after a few minutes. Best of luck to everyone, especially the former English majors. ;)
Last edited by JetStream on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

A math teacher's dream meta! Loved it!!
Waxford

Post by Waxford »

On shore…that’s two weeks in a row completed and solved in one sitting.
littlegreycells

Post by littlegreycells »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:42 am
In hindsight I think my mother is one of those people who have a natural head for math but are convinced they are very bad at it and who never learn it but are always natural proficient at it (she's an excellent draftsman, photographer and quilter, finds making change to have a zen like calming effect, she dislikes science and finds the subjects uninteresting and cold, but she perceives roundness and hollow sadness in numbers and in sounds depending on how many factors they have and what factors they have in common with other [It's intuitively obvious to her that 24 is roundish number but 39 is very prickly... 16 and 24 like each other, 24 likes 21 but 16 does not like 21, but both 16 and 24 hate 17 and 17 hates every one --- although he can tolerate 34])
Your mom sounds a little like me! I hate odd numbers and prime numbers (except 2, because it is even!). Different numbers have different vibes in my head. My favorite number is 8 for sentimental reasons but my favorite EVEN number is 2. My husband considers it logically impossible that 8 isn't my favorite even number if it's my favorite number. But 8 doesn't have as much "even-ness" as 2 does!! It drives him up a wall
Last edited by littlegreycells on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colin&Chuck904

Post by Colin&Chuck904 »

On Shore. Go Heels!
sfed

Post by sfed »

Ashore.
Adodz

Post by Adodz »

Ashore!
tiagomeunome

Post by tiagomeunome »

hello everyone, im new here. finished grid but still mulling over the meta, feel like i found part 1 but not sure where to go from there. hope you all have a good weekend :D
girubato1

Post by girubato1 »

Onshore! Third week in a row! Yay me! 🍹
woozy

Post by woozy »

littlegreycells wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Your mom sounds a little like me! I hate odd numbers and prime numbers (except 2, because it is even!). Different numbers have different vibes in my head. My favorite number is 8 for sentimental reasons but my favorite EVEN number is 2. My husband considers it logically impossible that 8 isn't my favorite even number if it's my favorite number. But 8 doesn't have as much "even-ness" as 2 does!! It drives him up a wall
See.... I like prime numbers because there are distinct and dynamic and impenetrable and those distinguished. But highly factorable numbers (such as 360) are very pretty, but like art and faces, pretty doesn't get you into museums.

Hmm, intuitively I think 8 would be more even than 2 as it can be split into two and with the parts splittable into two deeper and more than 2 can. But,of course, the number with the most 2-ness is two itself. I think I like 2s to odd powers because they can be split into two even numbers each themselves highly even but not equal (2s to even powers can be divided into two equal numbers which feels like a waste of effort to me).
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

tiagomeunome wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm hello everyone, im new here. finished grid but still mulling over the meta, feel like i found part 1 but not sure where to go from there. hope you all have a good weekend :D
Welcome! You may want to look in the “Come Aboard “ section of this forum. There you will find some hints on how to solve metas and a link to past contests! This is how I learned!
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

I was getting a bit panicky at sea there. After a rest I am ashore now.

An elegant construct!
Last edited by GTIJohnny on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Ashore in a time that's probably a record for me (I won't mention the actual time as the experts here would politely congratulate me and then cover their mouths while suppressing a giggle or two).
JustAQuickThought
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! 🏖

Filled and solved during lunch at work.
Konnie
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 pm
grwinski wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm
My old HP45 ....

Rita and George
@grwinski

Rita and George

You are only showing your age if you have one of these and used it in college and after. I am sure that there are many here who have no idea what it is.

IMG_2468.jpg
When I was in college, our fraternity was housed in the Keuffel house, of Keuffel and Esser fame. Bob, does that Antikythera mechanism of yours bear a K+E mark?
JustAQuickThought
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JAQT wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:02 pm
grwinski wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm
My old HP45 ....

Rita and George
@grwinski

Rita and George

You are only showing your age if you have one of these and used it in college and after. I am sure that there are many here who have no idea what it is.

IMG_2468.jpg
When I was in college, our fraternity was housed in the Keuffel house, of Keuffel and Esser fame. Bob, does that Antikythera mechanism of yours bear a K+E mark?
Most definitely. You had your choice of K&E or Pickett slide rules. Picketts were metal and fell apart in the winters at RPI because the metal shrunk. K&E were made of bamboo and you had to carry around talcum powder because they expanded in the heat of the spring and fall at RPI and you had to keep applying the powder to allow them to slide.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JAQT wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:31 pm Ashore in a time that's probably a record for me (I won't mention the actual time as the experts here would politely congratulate me and then cover their mouths while suppressing a giggle or two).
I guarantee that there is no giggling as every one of us started on these metas in the same boat - struggling and claiming victory when we got it
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I landed on shore, not too badly scarred by high school math memories.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:05 pm
JAQT wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:02 pm
@grwinski

Rita and George

IMG_2468.jpg
Most definitely. You had your choice of K&E or Pickett slide rules. Picketts were metal and fell apart in the winters at RPI because the metal shrunk. K&E were made of bamboo and you had to carry around talcum powder because they expanded in the heat of the spring and fall at RPI and you had to keep applying the powder to allow them to slide.
Wait. You mean they didn't have batteries?