"Aftermath" - September 17, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Olof

Post by Olof »

Ashore. This mechanism makes for a very enjoyable grid. Funny, the bartender wouldn't let me order the specific beer cocktail I had in mind, so I suppose I'll settle for a Pisco Sour. Cheers!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Last thing I did at home yesterday was print the puzzle. Got the grid snd meta on the plane. Submitting and posting today.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 am Count me ashore! Another one bites the dust. And another one's gone, and another one's gone. . .
Are you referring to the puzzles, or the alcoholic drinks you are consuming in celebration of completing said puzzles?
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore. Hoping for less rain on the island than on the Gulf Coast!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore - early for me for once
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore! Very doable!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:05 am
ky-mike wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Saw a t shirt today that said “Another day that I didn’t use calculus”. I thought that was a pretty accurate statement for all of us that took that course and never pursued a career that required the application of some of our math learnings.
However, your cab would have driven off the road, if someone hadn't, and you wouldn't be reading this.
I thought I was the only one who thought that1

When I was a teenager I wasn't a very good driver (partly because my mother was a terrible instructor). I had a hard time handling turns and figuring out out when going up a hill when to press down on the gas and when stop stepping on the gas. My mother kept saying incomprehensible things about accelerating into a curve (what? are you nuts! why would a speed up at a start of a turn!) and catching the moment when I had enough momentum to carry me over the curb. I squeaked by and got my license. One weekend when I was taking calculus I was driving along the coastal cliff highway and I thought about the curving road as having constantly changing tangents and my car needing to match them and... then it all clicked.

In hindsight I think my mother is one of those people who have a natural head for math but are convinced they are very bad at it and who never learn it but are always natural proficient at it (she's an excellent draftsman, photographer and quilter, finds making change to have a zen like calming effect, she dislikes science and finds the subjects uninteresting and cold, but she perceives roundness and hollow sadness in numbers and in sounds depending on how many factors they have and what factors they have in common with other [It's intuitively obvious to her that 24 is roundish number but 39 is very prickly... 16 and 24 like each other, 24 likes 21 but 16 does not like 21, but both 16 and 24 hate 17 and 17 hates every one --- although he can tolerate 34])
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

A busy day for the tender drivers getting muggles to the shore and bringing in extra beer, ice and other booze for the consuming muggles.

And a welcome to our newest muggles - Andy100, mircos and Apoo Koitcha

The mob on the shore is now 188 muggles strong. And Isaac is tending the stern gardens alone for the second week in a row.

And don't forget the talk between Matt Gaffney and Pete Muller tonight at 8:30 EDT. The link to the zoom call is posted both at the top of the WSJ contest page and in the calendar (tab at the top of this page)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mindle

Post by mindle »

On shore...have a nice weekend!
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore. The AHA moment came quickly, but late.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

mntlblok wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 am
HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:14 pm Enough with the maths! Got it, but only after refreshing my memory of a very long hot summer course. Yuck.

On shore & deserving of the margarita I’m ordering.
A Brit in Charlotte??
HA - no, but I do prefer the Brit word “maths” because it’s short for mathematicS.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

Ashore and hunting for coffee now! Happy weekend all!
livpolfan

Post by livpolfan »

Ashore with a bottle of a New Zealand Sauv Blanc poured over ice in my 35 oz. tumbler.
John77

Post by John77 »

Ashore, this time BEFORE the deadline. Saving a Treehouse Haze for later.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore quickly this morning. Not my wheelhouse but a fun puzzle! Will hold off on the MaiTais until sunset.
🌴🍹
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ASHORE! Just got around to the puzzle a little while ago. Too busy with volunteer duties yesterday afternoon and evening. (When are they EVER going to learn not to mess with my Thursdays?!) I do love it when I have the meta answer before finishing the grid, and I will never complain about the easy ones because I know what's looming in the future...
Sara
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:42 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:05 am
ky-mike wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 pm Saw a t shirt today that said “Another day that I didn’t use calculus”. I thought that was a pretty accurate statement for all of us that took that course and never pursued a career that required the application of some of our math learnings.
However, your cab would have driven off the road, if someone hadn't, and you wouldn't be reading this.
...My mother kept saying incomprehensible things about accelerating into a curve (what? are you nuts! why would a speed up at a start of a turn!) and catching the moment when I had enough momentum to carry me over the curb. I squeaked by and got my license. One weekend when I was taking calculus I was driving along the coastal cliff highway and I thought about the curving road as having constantly changing tangents and my car needing to match them and... then it all clicked.
Love hearing when math comes to life!

I also was confused by the phrase "accelerate in a curve." And actually, I heard it as "accelerate through the curve." My father would say, "Accelerate out of the curve." I later learned that the idea behind it is to increase traction to the wheels so they exert more influence over the direction of the car than momentum does. Then I really learned this lesson when driving through heavy, fresh snow in an all-wheel-drive Subaru I used to own. The wheels pull you in the direction you want to go, rather than momentum taking you in the direction you were headed to begin with. Take your foot off the gas and the car just slides.
John77

Post by John77 »

femullen wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:10 pm Ashore. I'll have both Jameson and Tullamore, see if I can differentiate.
Next week, I recommend Yellow Spot and Redbreast Lustau.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Needed some Bing for this one because if you remember anything from high school, you weren't there...
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Great imagination by Mike.