"Aftermath" - September 17, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

On shore!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

mikeB wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:55 pm I studied math at Berkeley. I considered mechanical engineering -- very interesting curriculum, but the math was way too hard, so I studied math instead.
As a mechanical engineering graduate, this really made me LOL - perhaps for different reasons than was intended.

But anyway, this needs to be chiseled in stone somewhere. :lol:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Drizzly day in Seattle -- husband, daughter and I spent some time at her place and collaborated on the solve --
Headed ASHORE
Captureferry.PNG
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Onshore, I do believe. Though, like Yeats' best, I'm lacking in all conviction - could it be my simple answer is about to be upstaged by an even moderately complicated meta? The bell will toll at Sunday midnight (EDT) and all will be revealed, I guess.

EDITED: Revised my answer and re-submitted with (greater) conviction this time around. Re-use of my earlier post, with correct backing for claim this time around - kosher, I hope...
Last edited by Glorfindel on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

otlaolap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 pm
mntlblok wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 am
woozy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm Okay.... this was even easier than last week.
What's going on?
Every seventh month is reserved for recruitment of new addicts. It's in the FAQ.
I looked through the FAQ but could not find this -- can you please point me properly? If I knew that February weather was regularly scheduled then I would accept it quietly. Thanks.
I should seldom be taken seriously. Maybe I should use more smiley icons. :-) *But*, back in February, when, I think, the WSJ first came out with a sort of "tutorial" for doing "metas", they published four straight really easy ones, apparently in an effort to gain more users and more popularity for it. Looks like they've again posted that tutorial, and, again, thrown up a bunch of easy metas to accompany it.
Last edited by mntlblok on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 pm
littlegreycells wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Your mom sounds a little like me! I hate odd numbers and prime numbers (except 2, because it is even!). Different numbers have different vibes in my head. My favorite number is 8 for sentimental reasons but my favorite EVEN number is 2. My husband considers it logically impossible that 8 isn't my favorite even number if it's my favorite number. But 8 doesn't have as much "even-ness" as 2 does!! It drives him up a wall
See.... I like prime numbers because there are distinct and dynamic and impenetrable and those distinguished. But highly factorable numbers (such as 360) are very pretty, but like art and faces, pretty doesn't get you into museums.

Hmm, intuitively I think 8 would be more even than 2 as it can be split into two and with the parts splittable into two deeper and more than 2 can. But,of course, the number with the most 2-ness is two itself. I think I like 2s to odd powers because they can be split into two even numbers each themselves highly even but not equal (2s to even powers can be divided into two equal numbers which feels like a waste of effort to me).
Guess I still have a lot of that stuff still sitting back in there somewhere. These days, can't help noticing whether odd numbers (under a hundred) might be prime. Can *never* see 51 without noting that it's 3 times 17. :-)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

auee89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm
boharr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:18 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:05 pm
Most definitely. You had your choice of K&E or Pickett slide rules. Picketts were metal and fell apart in the winters at RPI because the metal shrunk. K&E were made of bamboo and you had to carry around talcum powder because they expanded in the heat of the spring and fall at RPI and you had to keep applying the powder to allow them to slide.
Wait. You mean they didn't have batteries?
Mine did! This was a big expense in the mid-80's and lasted me all through undergrad and grad school. RPN was the best.

Just realized that I'd never actually taken a close look at one of those. Betting that holding that orange button 🔳 down turns those trig functions into their inverse. :-)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

John77 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Mine did! This was a big expense in the mid-80's and lasted me all through undergrad and grad school. RPN was the best.
I gave up my Pickett (and about $100) for one of these:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.01.43 PM.png
Seeing those "EE"s still gives me the willies.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Ashore--better late than never.

Have a good weekend, Muggles.
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Ashore. Had my answer yesterday, but wanted to think about it. Have some concerns with it based on several posts, but sent it in this morning.
Will explain Monday, if issue is not resolved by then.
TheDeej

Post by TheDeej »

Ashore! A bit of a nit to pick with one of the meta clues. Had to Bing that one and still not sure I fully agree. Admittedly, I'm no math major and it's been 30+ years since high school, but it did send me down a rabbit hole. I thoroughly enjoy the easter egg in this one. Will check in Monday and see if anyone else agrees. Have a great weekend everyone!

Oh, yeah... BEER ME!!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

whimsy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:39 am Drizzly day in Seattle -- husband, daughter and I spent some time at her place and collaborated on the solve --
Headed ASHORE
Captureferry.PNG
My husband and I visited the Seattle area three years ago and one of our favorite memories was taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island! Probably had something to do with the fact that we met one of my closest college friends and her husband at the terminal and we all had dinner together on the island. We timed it perfectly so that the sun was setting as we returned to the city. Even more perfect to have a friendship that continues for 40+ years and has survived both of us being on different continents (or different shores of the same continent) for many of those years!
Sara
Meg

Post by Meg »

Apropos of nothing.
Attachments
lizard.jpg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Friday, and done Friday, about a minute later. Just like last week. Four in a row!

Now that I'm back down South, how about Key Lime? Places around here make some that are unbelievably delicious.

TFTXWD
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

mntlblok wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:01 am

Just realized that I'd never actually taken a close look at one of those. Betting that holding that orange button 🔳 down turns those trig functions into their inverse. :-)

I still have my HP12C I bought in 1989 and it still works. Can't go to B school without it (but no trig functions)
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This Tar Heel is on shore! Grid and Meta solved! Fear next week's may be very hard!
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Quick paddle and ashore. didnt even work up an appetite. sigh.
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

At least I can solve the 1 Star difficulty puzzles! Ashore, submitted, thirsty. Chai tea, please.
John77

Post by John77 »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 pm Don't know why you all act like slide rules are obsolete. Here's photographic evidence that they will be used on starships.
Spock with E6B.jpg
(Actual screen capture, not photo-shop.)
Glad to see that Star Fleet won't give up on the E6B Flight Computer.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Ashore before I’ve finished the grid. That’s a first for me!