"Dude Where's My Car?" - September 10, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

cremebrulee

Post by cremebrulee »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm
Stay safe and be ready for Thursday's meta. In between check out the Monday Muggle Meta (MMM) and the Madhatter's Enigma On Wednesday (MEOW)
What are these other metas? Each day of the week has something extra? Except Tues. and Sat.? Are these the ones with the circles and asterisks?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

cremebrulee wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:08 am
Stay safe and be ready for Thursday's meta. In between check out the Monday Muggle Meta (MMM) and the Madhatter's Enigma On Wednesday (MEOW)
What are these other metas? Each day of the week has something extra? Except Tues. and Sat.? Are these the ones with the circles and asterisks?
Other Meta Crossword Puzzles

Meta Calendar
hoover

Post by hoover »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:10 am

Meta Calendar
@benchen71 has started a MOAT, Metas on a Tuesday (or was it Thursday? uh oh!).
steveb

Post by steveb »

HunterX wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:04 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm ...Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.
Yet after 78 of these meta-puzzles, with 67 correct answer submissions (86%), and no mug to show for it, I continue to hope...

What's that phrase about doing something over and over and over again but expecting a different result? Definition of insanity? Then count me as the King of Hearts! (And who remembers THAT movie???)
I'm 218/272 with no mug (yet), so yeah, don't hold your breath. But it's not really about the mug, is it?
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

steveb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:30 am But it's not really about the mug, is it?
Um, yes it is.

Gimme that mug!

OK, I guess you're right - I like solving the metas too for the satisfaction of the solve. :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

@benchen71 has started a MOAT, Metas on a Tuesday (or was it Thursday? uh oh!).
It's Tuesdays. But not this week, since I'm posting this week's MMM.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I feel like this was just a theme puzzle that didn't have circles in the grid where the cars were hidden.
cremebrulee

Post by cremebrulee »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:10 am

Meta Calendar
Are these all WSJ's crosswords? They'll be in the paper this week?
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm ...Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.
Yet after 78 of these meta-puzzles, with 67 correct answer submissions (86%), and no mug to show for it, I continue to hope...

What's that phrase about doing something over and over and over again but expecting a different result? Definition of insanity? Then count me as the King of Hearts! (And who remembers THAT movie???)
Loved the movie but I am afraid you won’t be able to stand in for Alan Bates. You are not insane, just suffering from the Gambler’s Fallacy. Think Kenny Rogers instead.

Even among Muggles, it looks like we have no better than a 1 in 260+ chance this week and I imagine it is much slimmer given the WSJ readership.

If you lived in Alabama like me, you are more likely to get COVID than a mug this week
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
pookie

Post by pookie »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 pm I’ve been ashore since Friday night when I finally got to sit down with my WSJ. I thought I should announce my arrival before the deadline only to find Muggles standing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. You would think it was Spring Break! Isaac must be very lonely at the bar tonight.

This one was so easy I didn’t think it even rated a verse but I did create a clue that says it all:

A playful musical instrument that comes in Kirby, Kiss, and Kabuki versions.

Answer after the reveal
What's the answer?
Limerick Savant

pookie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:10 am
Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 pm I’ve been ashore since Friday night when I finally got to sit down with my WSJ. I thought I should announce my arrival before the deadline only to find Muggles standing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. You would think it was Spring Break! Isaac must be very lonely at the bar tonight.

This one was so easy I didn’t think it even rated a verse but I did create a clue that says it all:

A playful musical instrument that comes in Kirby, Kiss, and Kabuki versions.

Answer after the reveal
What's the answer?
All I will say right now is that it uses the same mechanism as the puzzle meta. Enterprising Muggles or Muggles at Enterprise should be able to get it without much difficulty. 12 letters
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This was my fastest WSJ solve ever, because due to the title as soon as I had 17a done and saw SUPRA I knew the answer. Without the title I probably would have had to fill in at least a couple more theme entries.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:55 am If you lived in Alabama like me, you are more likely to get COVID than a mug this week
Was awarded The COVID. I'll try The MUG behind Curtain & #2, please.

(seriously, I'm fine & was never in danger - you muggles are much too caring, considerate, & 'c'ind - just making a weak joke, here)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

escapeartist wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:37 am
steveb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:30 am But it's not really about the mug, is it?
Um, yes it is.

Gimme that mug!

OK, I guess you're right - I like solving the metas too for the satisfaction of the solve. :D
Yeah, I still want the @#$% mug. Though it would just be a sign of luck at this point.

And yes, I do the metas because I find them really fun (until the hours of staring have produced nothing) with a nice "A ha!" payoff.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I remember the movie fondly, having seen it repeatedly when it played in revival at Penn State in the '70s. I may need to don a kilt and track it down tonight, if only to spend another evening with Geneviève Bujold. Sigh.
Limerick Savant

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 am
Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:55 am If you lived in Alabama like me, you are more likely to get COVID than a mug this week
Was awarded The COVID. I'll try The MUG behind Curtain & #2, please.

(seriously, I'm fine & was never in danger - you muggles are much too caring, considerate, & 'c'ind - just making a weak joke, here)
Apologies for my callous joke. I do not mean to offend. I have family that have been stricken and lost a good friend because of this pandemic and sometimes forget in my frustration that we are all in this together whether we believe it or not. This weekend has been a reminder to me that we once knew how to come together for the common good and that I choose that path.

So good luck and good health to all Muggles. May your mug runneth over.
John77

Post by John77 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm Our final count is 264 muggles on shore. Based on past experience we will probably set records of over 4000 entries to the WSJ contest and close to 4000 correct submissions. Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.

I hope that's a record, because I didn't get around to this one until this morning. Kicking myself, because I had the answer well before I finished the grid, a first for me. Sigh.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Anybody else remember the car commercial from the '90s (I think) that had the guy singing, "My TOYOTA! I love it!"

Anyone? Just me? Bueller?

I didn't start keeping track of my solves until January, although I began doing WSJ metas last fall. My solve rate for the year is 67%. It's been creeping up slowly in recent weeks. If I included last year's, it would probably be lower.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

John77 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:00 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm Our final count is 264 muggles on shore. Based on past experience we will probably set records of over 4000 entries to the WSJ contest and close to 4000 correct submissions. Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.

I hope that's a record, because I didn't get around to this one until this morning. Kicking myself, because I had the answer well before I finished the grid, a first for me. Sigh.
It is a record. And most, like you, found it easy. How easy? Look at the times when pages 1,2,3,4 were filled up
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director